JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Click-bait title complete :D

But seriously, i've moved recently, and, coincidentally, it somewhat timed up with my filling my safe. As if to rub it in my face, it took me 3 attempts to get my long guns in *AND* close the door :(

Now this question isn't really about why my safe is so small, i know why, it's because i needed to place it in a closet in the old house, so it's 20 inches deep, when i notice most of 24 inches.

I don't need that now, however, i'm struggling with the placement in the new office, next to my desk makes most sense, but i only have 38 inches space for the width.

1) I would like a larger safe.
2) I would like to spend no more than $1500
3) I will need to wait until tax return season :(
4) I *think* there are really only a few widths available, despite many safes.

I was looking at the Cabellas Liberty safes, the 48 gun ones look nice, but they're too wide (unless i choose another location in the office, but that wastes the corner next to my desk, i don't have that kind of room)

I have ~19 cubic feet right now, which i think they say is a 24 gun safe (we all know how that works in reality)

Does anyone have any recommendations in this price range, with the largest available capacity that will fit in a 38 inch width?

You could always critique my office arrangement ;)

No gun safe holds as many guns as claimed unless you remove scopes and don't care about potential safe dings. I've got a 36 or 48 capacity gun safe that I can barely get 8 scoped rifles in. Yeah, I could mash them together, and, yeah, I could be really careful with some of the pristine walnut/maple wood stocks, but capacity numbers are pure fiction.

I suggest an outbuilding. :)

But seriously, i've moved recently, and, coincidentally, it somewhat timed up with my filling my safe. As if to rub it in my face, it took me 3 attempts to get my long guns in *AND* close the door :(

Now this question isn't really about why my safe is so small, i know why, it's because i needed to place it in a closet in the old house, so it's 20 inches deep, when i notice most of 24 inches.

I don't need that now, however, i'm struggling with the placement in the new office, next to my desk makes most sense, but i only have 38 inches space for the width.

I was looking at the Cabellas Liberty safes, the 48 gun ones look nice, but they're too wide (unless i choose another location in the office, but that wastes the corner next to my desk, i don't have that kind of room)

I have ~19 cubic feet right now, which i think they say is a 24 gun safe (we all know how that works in reality)

Does anyone have any recommendations in this price range, with the largest available capacity that will fit in a 38 inch width?

Great gun safes go cheap at estate sales, you need to supply the bodies to move it where it needs to go generally.

After owning several typical gun safes - you know the heavy, awkward, requiring a platoon to move kind of safe - I've very recently switched to a storage option from SecureIt. So recent in fact, that I haven't received it yet. But you should check them out. Not for everyone but I decided I'd give them a shot.

FWIW, I got the Fastbox for the bedroom (think quick access under the bed safe) and the Ultralight model.

I understand the idea behind the secureit line of products, but if you are away from home at work or at all, and don't have multiple other security measures in place, I'd definitely wouldn't recommend them. They also provide zero fire protection.

I'd recommend heading over to Bulldog Tuff Safes in Warren on Hwy 30. They are super chill laid back family owned and have a ton of great options in many different sizes and price ranges. They carry Superior Safe brand which is a highly rated solid steel plate door safe. Delivery isn't expensive and it includes placement and install.

Bulldog Tuff Safes - office safes, gun safes and more!

You can't get 24 guns in a 24 gun safe without a generous amount of personal lubricant and a chess master.

Thanks for the replies :)

I'm only considering safes, not secure cabinets.

Reno, their safes start at 2100, can't swing that I'm afraid, looks like a good place though.

I guess that after looking at my space situation, I could probably move my desk and gain up to ten inches in available width. So the really wide, what, 44 inches? Safes are back on the cards.

Any suggestions for good ones up to 1500?

I would suggest you watch the classifieds here. I managed to pick up a very nice Browning safe at a most reasonable price.:):):)

It's too late to worry about it but I did finally take a look at the Cabela's sight for a price. Mine is an older model so they don't sell that one any more but looking at what they do sell, we got this one for about half!!! Lots of places offer used as well as new. Good Luck.

Last Edited:
I'm more looking for model suggestions at this price point.

I've tried the used route before, but it never works out for me. Getting new is fine, so just need to see what I can get for the money.

Reno, their safes start at 2100, can't swing that I'm afraid, looks like a good place though.

I guess that after looking at my space situation, I could probably move my desk and gain up to ten inches in available width. So the really wide, what, 44 inches? Safes are back on the cards.

There is a 1500 model by a few of the Superior Safe trim levels.

That's not the only brand they carry.

I'd say if you are looking, it doesn't hurt to look. Their store is much better than their website.

I went to all the recommended shops, I liked the security features of the brands Bulldog offered as well as their delivery fees. I would definitely recommend stopping by to take a look.

I would call Wayne at Liberty safe of Oregon. Great guy and his prices will fall in line with what you are looking for. I picked up a 42 gun safe for just under 1k He has new and used.

If I am not mistaken @Kruejl got his there as well.

Yeah, I got my Colonial 30 from Wayne at Liberty. But it sure won't hold 30 guns, especially with scopes and everything. I do have a good amount in there though. :)

@Boboclown uses a clown safe because clown.

:hide
2006_osman_shrine_circus%200082.jpg
Tiny yet still fits 200 scoped rifles.

I found a 24 gun American Security manual combo on Craigslist for $600. You might keep an eye out over there.

Looks like the 1776 48 is right at 1499, now I guess the question is going to be do I get the 30 or the 48.

I'm not rich like @Kruejl so I can't go for the Colonial ;) :p

I'll need to go and look, but it's a bad idea to do that until the new year now. Thanks everyone.

I would suggest you watch the classifieds here. I managed to pick up a very nice Browning safe at a most reasonable price.:):):)

It's too late to worry about it but I did finally take a look at the Cabela's sight for a price. Mine is an older model so they don't sell that one any more but looking at what they do sell, we got this one for about half!!! Lots of places offer used as well as new. Good Luck.
GUN SAFE

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads