JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We've all left important stuff at home before: Spotting scope, fresh brick of ammo, screwdriver, pigeon thrower...

Some little - some not so little (like when I put a boat in the water and left the skis in my garage - but that's another thread for another board).

I'm interested in pooling some shared tips here (and maybe some laughable fails) about little things we've learned over the years to keep in the shooting box, or just things we do at the range, that make our buddies say "what a great idea!"

Just a few for me:

- Masking tape and a black felt tip pen in the jacket pocket for quick target repairs.

- 100 feet of cheap nylon rope to drag out 3 times because pacing off 100 yards can vary (a lot) over snags and ditches, etc.

- Disposable plastic/rubber gloves to handle sandwiches and apples in the woods when fingers are black with lead.

- Extra earplugs and $3 Harbor Freight safety glasses for friends who forgot.

What are some of yours?

I usually shoot at a range, so I have pre-packed some old 16x50 binos, a staple gun, 1 roll each of black and white duct tape, 10-in-1 screwdriver, multitool, pencil, rangebook, felt pen, and a few extra earplugs. A few plastic grocery bags for trash. Safety glasses.

TiP: On shooting day, I'll pack patches and oil (and Windex when shooting corrosive) for immediate cleanup at the range. I hate cleaning three or four rifles at home after a range session, so after I get done shooting one rifle I break it down right there, clean it thoroughly then move on to the next rifle.

I keep have a plastic container of handwipes in the vehicle.

Keith

That's cute,eating food with gloves on.After soo many years of eating at work with dirty hands,not much bothers me that way.

Anyway.
I always have a little tool kit in the truck,so I added the staple gun ,the little sticky dots and targets.Binos are always there along with the spotting scope and range finder.
I'm going to throw a tarp in there as to catch the brass.Safety glasses and plugs are in the bag as is my ear muffs
SPEED LOADERS,so when I get done with the pre loaded mags I can actually load them again.
So all I have to do is try to remember to bring the right ammo

My shooting buddy opened the rifle case on time and found he brought the wrong rifle.

My shooting box is rather complex and has a specific place for almost everything I would need at the range. All I really have to do is close it up at home. It sits on a shelf and becomes part of the tools in my Toy closet. I add the ammo needed for the time at the range and its ready to go.

Staple gun
Masking tape
Huge tip Sharpie
Extra eyes and ears for when I forget or friends
Lots o targets
pistol and rifle LULA's
gloves
Costco microfiber towels
Bottle of CLP
guns & ammo

...That's cute,eating food with gloves on.After soo many years of eating at work with dirty hands,not much bothers me that way...

Agreed about dirt in general, it never hurt anyone. But lead, asbestos and mercury scare me. All of which I handled as a kid, so I try to minimize additional exposure now.

Back to things to bring, I remember my pal who discovered how useless his 10/22 was at the range with the magazine at home in the cleaning kit. DOH!!!

AnthonyL's list almost mirrors mine exactly. I will add the microfiber towels. Great idea, by the way. I also keep plastic bags/baggies for brass and trash. Also foot/hand warmers. Several years ago I found a golf range finder that simply shows you where to place it on "the green" and figure yardage. No batteries needed and while it's no laser, it will get you surprisingly close range estimates. It cost $4 at Radioshack. It was worth every penny. With my staple gun I NEVER allow under two full boxes of staples. Nothin like having 100 targets, a great staple gun and exactly 11 staples. Kip.

I have a large range bag. The one from Midway. It has everything I might need.
Glasses and ear plugs. Extra of both for those who forgot.
Electronic ear muffs. One for me and one for my son.
Small tool kit I put together for shooting.
Compact cleaning kit with CLP.
Staple gun and staples
Masking tape
Magic markers, Red and black.
Shooting gloves for when it is cold
Range finder.
Manila envelope with paper targets.
Extra batteries for the red dots, eotechs and ear muffs.
Mag loaders
Spare mags for handguns. Rifles are in cases with mag pockets.

I usually shoot in the woods. If I am just going to the range, I have a smaller range bag that I pack for what I am shooting that day.

I have a range bag from Midway also

Regular safety glasses and ear plugs fro friends
Spare set of prescription glasses and ear muffs
Small grouping of tools ( Small screw drivers, tweezers, hex drivers, bore light
Multitool
Staple gun and spare staples ( Amazed at how many I go through)
Pen and paper
Couple those bent pointed tools for cleaning out debris in small spots
Q tips
Cloth for scope
Magazines and loaders
Small head lamp - some of those ranges it is dark enough that you need some extra light to work on your gun.
Targets
Sugar free candy
Plastic bag.
Cleaning kit / rod
Tissue

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA