JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently bought my first AR-15 and am very pleased with it. But as I learn about all of the parts and internals of these guns I find myself wondering what spare parts I should keep in stock to make sure I can keep it running long-term. Kind of a prepping type idea. I want to have the most often replaced parts on hand in case for some reason something breaks and I can't just go online to buy another. (Or to make me less paranoid sounding, so I don't have to wait for the order to come through)

Obviously it would be nice to just have a spare gun, but that's now quite what I had in mind. Any suggestions from people with experience wearing out parts on their ARs?

I would stock 2 sets of gas rings, 2 extractors with spring and oring. Also I would get a spring kit called "oh shoot" kit. All of the little springs, detents, and things that can get lost or go boing are in there. I think they are rock river kits.

A whole extra bolt couldn't hurt either. And get an extra firing pin or two, and many of those little keepers that keep the firing pin in place, they are easy to lose.

Just get the spare parts kit from Brownells. Has just about all the common break/loose parts.

If you want to do an "ala carte" kit, gas rings (3 are enough, just replace as you use) a firing pin, cam pin, extractor/spring, and a hammer spring.

If you want to make sure you are able to "get back in action" quickly, a complete bolt carrier group is nice. Just open the action remove the old, add the new, close and charge the weapon. Repair or clean the old BCG at your leisure.

One thing to note. I have three AR's and a complete set of spares, all detents, springs, pins, etc. Have yet to go to the "kit" after thousands of rounds through each. Only broken part was a cam pin in the AR I bought "Used".

Ummm having to many spare parts leads to something......

All of a sudden you realize you have enough to build another AR... and then all your spare parts are gone lol

If you're going to get an extractor spring, ditch the o-ring crap...and get the heavy duty spring (green) and the black insert. You can get them from Specialized Armament Warehouse. Worth every penny and then some...

Gas rings are good to have, along with a firing pin. Then pick up other firing group parts. Extra hammer and trigger pins and spring won't hurt either.

All of a sudden you realize you have enough to build another AR... and then all your spare parts are gone lol

That's how I ended up with "AR #3". All the spares and leftovers from "remodeling" #1 and #2 :cool:

Of course that now means I have spares-------and I don't have to do any field repairs. Just pick up a different one and load up.

That happens too often . I had a spare lower sitting in the safe for a couple of years when all of the sudden I remembered I has a lower build kit so I put it together, Then I remembered I had a receiver extension now I am wondering since I have a complete bolt and charging handle do I need an upper to complete the lower? Well do I?

Yes, that's my dilemma. With back orders and front orders and spur of th moment in stock orders I have a couple of lpks that are feeling lonely. And never mind I can get two lowers for what I paid for one of the exact brand in February.....like the Chinese say: may you live in interesting times.

Brutus out

Yep. That's how I'm ending up with AR # 3, 4, 5, 6 ,and 7. Too many spare parts leads to another build. And a wife wondering where all these guns came from... :D

So this thread started 5/18/2013

So here I am ordering parts here and there for spares, oh here is an upper with bbl for a good deal, ah and three lower kits, and oh thats a good deal on buttstocks...2 more complete AR's built and now im low on spare parts....again
:s0113:

Magazines, lots if them.
USGI and what ever plastic stuff you fancy.

Spare spring and fcg pack
BCG, pistol grip (a cheap A2 will do)
A spare buttstock/tube, barrel..

Awe heck, just another spare rifle. :)

The only extra parts I ever needed for my AR is spare bullets. Lots of good clean ammo is all I need to keep mine running for the rest of my life. I rarely break it down 100% so I'm a lot less likely to loose anything. I don't have spare parts for any other guns I own. Many of them have operated without breakage for 30 to 60 years.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top