JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm fairly new to AR's but not new to home gunsmithing. I am looking for what small parts are essential to keep my rife running.

1: what parts can I replace in the field?

2: what parts are likely to break or where out on me?

3: what special tools should I have on hand?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Last Edited:
IMHO if you are talking Grid-Down/SHTF situation the best spare parts to have is a complete second rifle.
If you are talking range plinking, then a spare bolt, charging handle, armorers tool, and sight adjustment tools, in your range bag.
Detail stripping a firearm in the field isn't the most plausible option. I would recommend sub-assemblies that can be swapped out easily rather than small intricate parts that require special tools or could be easily lost. For example, primary wear items would be gas rings and extractors but if you have a complete spare bolt you are all set there, and you can swap it out quickly. Springs can fatigue over time, but that will take a lot of shooting.

Last Edited:
Personally, a spare BCG is a good idea for a short term fix to keep you going, but I like to stock a spare cam pin, extractor, 0 and gas rings, firing pin, gas tube w/roll pin and a spring/pin/detent "oops kit" (something like this).

If I had to "anticipate" a failure it would probably be the extractor, cam pin or gas rings.

I check all firearms before going out and never anticipate any type of failure, nor have I ever had one, but nice to have just for peace of mind, and I'm the type that likes to put everything into working order ASAP vs. waiting around for parts.

Tools... I always take along my "gun box" filled with all tools, spare parts (multiple firearm types), cleaning kit, etc , but if you're talking being mobile in a SHTF situation, that's not all that practical. In that case I'm limited to what I pack into the grip with no special tools other than allen wrenches for mounted gear. (gas rings, extractor, o-ring, cam pin, battery, lube, etc.)

My main rifle stock also has some additional storage space and I carry a spare firing and retainer pin as well. Non gun related, there is also a ferro rod, some cotton fire starters and a few water purification tabs in there as well. :D

Last Edited:
I carry a "Parts Kit" for every rifle I own and run, as well as most pistols!

What I do: Gather all needed parts and service items/tools and load them in a PVC tube with screw on cap and toss the kit in my gear when ever I take that rifle out!
For the AR, I keep a few spare firing pins, extra extractors, springs, and such, and a spare Mil Spec bolt, as well as extra take down pins, and gas block roll pins, and finally, a few sets of trigger springs. I also keep Mag "Kits" with this, including new followers and floor plates and a couple springs! With all this, I keep an armorers wrench and drift punches and small screw drivers. Unless a rifle gets hard bent, I can keep one running for a VERY long time!

IIRC......PSA and other places...... has/have what they call, "small replacement parts kits" available for a small charge. They might be grouped as upper, or lower, or even bolt kits. But of course it all depends on your budget.....and what YOU want to stockpile. How far do you really want to go with this project?

I'm not saying what "breaks or gets lost frequently".

Rrrright, I've lost my share of pins, and broken stuff too, etc.....

Stuff goes wrong at the range.....it's a very different situation vs a "life or death" situation.

Aloha, Mark

PS....some people have a "back up". And then, some might even have a back up, to a back up, to a back up. LOL.

Not to mention.....is the regular G.I. replacement part good enough for you?

Last Edited:
PS....some people have a "back up". And then, some might even have a back up, to a back up, to a back up. LOL.
🤣 That's kind of how we roll too. Just slap a spare upper on and you're good to go!

Still trying to figure out how I ended up with spare uppers though. They seem to procreate out there in the dark of the garage.
1653072376666.png

IIRC......PSA and other places...... has/have what they call, "small replacement parts kits" available for a small charge. They might be grouped as upper, or lower, or even bolt kits. But of course it all depends on your budget.....and what YOU want to stockpile. How far do you really want to go with this project?

I'm not saying what "breaks or gets lost frequently".

Rrrright, I've lost my share of pins, and broken stuff too, etc.....

Aloha, Mark

Not to mention.....is the regular G.I. replacement part good enough for you?
AR-15s are like Lays potato chips, nobody can have just one...

Two is one....one is none...twelve is a good start.

OP, ARs are an addiction. There will be others. Might as well start budgeting now. ;)

🤣 That's kind of how we roll too. Just slap a spare upper on and you're good to go!

Still trying to figure out how I ended up with spare uppers though. They seem to procreate out there in the dark of the garage.
View attachment 1203549
With a complete upper......
Then, I'll note......
I need a spare complete lower.

Then it'll be.....
OMG. Upper and Lower equals.....a complete rifle.

So......
I need more spare parts to keep them running (just in case).

Repeat. And do it all again.

Aloha, Mark

With a complete upper......
Then, I'll note......
I need a spare complete lower.

Then it'll be.....
OMG. Upper and Lower equals.....a complete rifle.

So......
I need more spare parts to keep them running (just in case).

Repeat. And do it all again.

Aloha, Mark
More like:
I have an extra detent and spring....
I don't want to lose it so I better get another lower to put it in....
Now I've got an odd lower with no upper....so I better build an upper so it doesn't feel lonely...
But I don't like the flash hider that came with the barrel so I replace it with a suppressor mount...
But now I have an A2 flash hider that needs a home...so I start shopping for a barrel....which needs a receiver...which needs a lower.....
Which results in a 12-step program.

But if my wife asks I only have two.

Doesn't matter how many spare parts you have, you get a stuck case and it's all worthless.

1653074199574.jpeg

On a serious note:

Bolt (complete)
Charging handle
Trigger group
Cam pin
Firing pin

I have a second AR as well. I also bought a few spare BCGs, charging handles, firing pins and firing pin retainers, extractor springs and replacement springs for my lower receivers as well. I also have a few spare triggers and spring replacements for the triggers, spare buffers and tube springs too. I also have a fair amount of spare gas rings which I had to replace in a few in my ARs over the years.

F2512007-2882-4122-9ACA-117DAE83F4EF.jpeg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top