JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm getting my first AR soon. Gonna try to get a Sig M400. I wanted to hear some thoughts on what I should be upgrading first. Obviously I have a budget, but simple things I can do myself that will help the performance of the gun would be appreciated. Also any tips for a first time AR owner?? What would you add to this gun to make it better? Let me know make/model/reason why of attachment so I can look into it.
So far this is what I was thinking:
- Burris TAC30 with fast fire 3 optics
- Vg6 gamma muzzle brake
- folding vertical fore grip
- extra mags
(Pic because it's cool)

4F2D2A81-09D8-4F95-A5FA-EA3F443F9C0E.jpeg

Last Edited:
I like the Vickers Combat Sling by Blue Force Gear. Affordable & very practical. Get padded if you want comfort but standard is fine if you have a collar. Oh & lots of magazines!

Iron sights(not polymer), sling, magazines, weapon light. You shouldn't need much else.

Consider BCM. Sig is cool and all but the cost isn't justified imo.

Iron sights(not polymer), sling, magazines, weapon light. You shouldn't need much else.

Consider BCM. Sig is cool and all but the cost isn't justified imo.
A BCM recce16 or 14 is top of my list, problem is I can't find them here in Portland and would need to order it and wait and pay more than my budget allows. So M400 is my 2nd choice and is available at a few places near me.

Since this is your first AR, my recommendation would be to hold off on the upgrades/modifications and just shoot the rifle first. Shoot it a lot and find out what you like/don't like about it and only after that, make the necessary changes.

Otherwise you'll be doing what mall ninjas do, which is to pile on a ton of stuff on their AR-15 that they will never use.

So for now, the only upgrade I'll recommend is a Maglula to help speed up the magazine loading process, which facilities more shooting. :)

Top upgrades:

Good optic. Red dot, LVPO, prism.

Maybe a better trigger, maybe.

Magazines, lots of magazines.

A good sling.

Range time, lots of range time.

Shoot it as you have it first, don't fix what ain't broke. I once made a brand-new BCG inoperable by swapping a SOPMOD extractor upgrade in right out of the bag... ripped it out and reinstalled the factory guts and it worked like a champ.

"Not every d--- thing needs an aftermarket upgrade."--Scott Ryan, AR/M16/M4 SME

If I were looking for anything for it would be in this order.

Optic and irons
Mags (Lots)
Sling
Light
Trigger (LaRue for the money)

Depends on what you're using it for.

Plinking? Get whatever you want.

If you are planning on using it for self defense, a fighting rifle so to speak, you'll need the following:
1. White light (can't shoot what you can't see)
2. Sling (holsters for rifles)
3. Optic (sighting system is important, optics > irons)

From there you'll need to research and get what fits into your budget and purpose. Pretty much any white light will suffice (with the exception of Olight, unless you like your flashlights doubling as IEDs). Slings are entirely preferential; lots like the Blue Force Gear Vickers sling but I tend to prefer the T. Rex Arms or Centrifuge Training slings. Go with any reputable optics manufacturer and you'll be good to go; Eotech, Aimpoint, Trijicon, etc... I've had good luck with the higher-end Holosun optics and so have many others but in many ways they are still earning their name.

Mags are considered perishable. Get 10 for now, grab another 10 each year or so until you have 100-150 laying around.

Triggers, grips, rails, safeties, bolt catches, charging handles, etc. are all extras. Get upgraded versions of each after you get the big 3 upgrades outlined above, and after you get some rounds down range; maybe even take a class or two first.

Depends on what you're using it for.

Plinking? Get whatever you want.

If you are planning on using it for self defense, a fighting rifle so to speak, you'll need the following:
1. White light (can't shoot what you can't see)
2. Sling (holsters for rifles)
3. Optic (sighting system is important, optics > irons)

From there you'll need to research and get what fits into your budget and purpose. Pretty much any white light will suffice (with the exception of Olight, unless you like your flashlights doubling as IEDs). Slings are entirely preferential; lots like the Blue Force Gear Vickers sling but I tend to prefer the T. Rex Arms or Centrifuge Training slings. Go with any reputable optics manufacturer and you'll be good to go; Eotech, Aimpoint, Trijicon, etc... I've had good luck with the higher-end Holosun optics and so have many others but in many ways they are still earning their name.

Mags are considered perishable. Get 10 for now, grab another 10 each year or so until you have 100-150 laying around.

Triggers, grips, rails, safeties, bolt catches, charging handles, etc. are all extras. Get upgraded versions of each after you get the big 3 upgrades outlined above, and after you get some rounds down range; maybe even take a class or two first.
How are Buress optics? I was looking at the TAC30 which is a medium range with a red dot on top for short range. It's like a $500 scope so it seems legit and not an Amazon knockoff.
I do have an xd9 with laser/light combo for home protection.
this is more for plinking yes but also protection and prepping just in case…. Ya know.

Quality iron sights (not plastic) I would go with KAC
Quality light - surefire/cloud defensive
Quality sling.

Then just practice shooting. The rest you can change as you discover what you like/dislike.

Knowledge. Learn your gun. I agree with a lot of the "practice first, upgrade later" advice. I've spent a lot on kit I wind up setting aside for later and not bothering with later. A lot of things will seem useful at first until you actually go to use them and you realize you don't like it as much as the idea of it.

Best money I've spent has been on a better stock for a better cheek weld (personal taste), a red dot and a better trigger. And a good cleaning kit!

How many? I heard they're cheap at palmetto state. Like $15/ea. Do all AR mags fit all AR's?
Anytime you order something online, drop one or two in the cart. Anytime you go to a store that carries mags, drop one or two in the basket. Milspec and Magpul are tried and true. There are also a few other options out there that work very well such as Lancer. I've also had good luck with Amend2 and Gen2 Hexmags.

Definitely not a fan of ProMag. They seem to be in a lot of big box and sporting goods stores. Avoid the temptation...buy anything else. During the last panic buy ProMag was the only thing left in stock for good reason. They tend to suck.

https://www.primaryarms.com/magpul-pmag-30-ar15-m4-gen-m2-moe-5.56-nato-magazine-black-polymer
https://www.primaryarms.com/okay-industries-30-round-surefeed-ar-15-magazine-556-black
https://www.primaryarms.com/lancer-systems-l5awm-30-round-ar15-magazine-5.56-nato-black-polymer
https://www.primaryarms.com/amend2-mod-2-30-round-ar-15-magazine-black

Last Edited:
I personally love Sig products, but also have seekins, colt, and DD. Consider Windam Weaponry, I've got a heavy barrel from Windam and love how it shoots . I've bought several PSA's to plink and play with, cheap enough to buy a few. As already said buy it, clean it, lube and shoot. Shoot your iron sites then add an optic. I like aimpoint for red dot and an ACOG for slight magnification, on both my 300 and 5.56. See what after market stuff fits your hands and the way you shoot before you piss money away and don't like it. Have fun! It's your gun make it for you! Good luck finding ammo, we stop at BiMart and get lucky every couple of weeks.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top