JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Keep an eye on Global Ordnance's website. They routin get SHK mags in and they sell them for $4.99-$6.99 when in stock and or on sale.

Honestly it sounds like you've got a decent handle on things. The first things I'd recommend are the ones that will help you be get more shots on target with good optics being my #1 recommendation followed by magazines. Then comes a sling, and maybe something to carry your magazines in if you plan on going outdoors with it. That muzzle device is also great, I have VG6's on a couple of things and they do not disappoint for the price-point. The rest is sort of preference and it may change once you get the gun in your hands.

I have a couple of the folding handgrips and don't use them very frequently as they don't feel quite as durable as non-folding options. That's not to say that they're bad or that I break them, I just found I wouldn't actually use the folding feature as much as I thought and instead just take VFGs full on or off as needed because they're almost all easy to attach or detach without tools, and that I appreciate not worrying about the strength of the hinge/lock. I might recommend looking at Grip-Pods, I have one I use with somewhat regularity. Don't think of them as a replacement for a great bipod like Harris, but it's a useful accessory to give you a little extra height and/or support when you need it. Look for ones that have at least steel reinforcement in the legs, I got a really cheap knockoff once and its un-reinforced polymer leg broke like cheap plaster the first time I laid down with it.

After all that you can get a feel for it and see what you might like to add further down the road! I really like the Magpul K2+ grips. I'm not familiar with the m400 directly but it looks like it's already got and ambidextrous safety, not sure about the bolt-release and mag-release. but those could be potential upgrades. One thing I've learned is that if you're fine with learning and doing your own work, you don't need to necessarily go for top-of-line accessories

Oh ya, don't forget AMMO and lots of it! We've talked a lot about accessories and do-dads here, but there's truly no replacement for experience behind the trigger. That will not only be the most important component in improvement but it will also inform your upgrade choices. Through practice you'll learn what feels good in your hands, what is making you slow or giving you trouble. Don't be afraid to reach out if you're having problems and trouble figuring out the diagnosis.

So we got
  • Optics
  • Magazines
  • Ammo!
  • Sling
  • Load bearing gear (if desired)
I think you're all set! IMO the most important tools are the ones that get cartridges near the gun, into the gun, and then accurately through the gun, after that it's preference and practice. Good luck and have fun!
I was able to get about 180rds of 223 today and 5 mags.

Oh & don't forget that 80% lower! Don't know if this has been mentioned yet or not. Shop around you can still find them at decent prices in stock so you don't have to get greased here. Unless you don't want to order online..then you shall be greased..bahahahaha

May be unconventional, I like a very extended bolt catch/release. The standard one with the tiny dingus on the bottom does me no favors and as a lefty, it makes a big difference. Specifically the Geissele maritime. It's like $30, don't know what's maritime about it....

Mostly just leave it be. Makes no sense to buy a rifle, then change the trigger, furniture, sights, muzzle device, etc. You end up with a box of parts you don't want and a rifle you could have built for less

Since this is your first AR, my recommendation would be to hold off on the upgrades/modifications and just shoot the rifle first. Shoot it a lot and find out what you like/don't like about it and only after that, make the necessary changes.

Otherwise you'll be doing what mall ninjas do, which is to pile on a ton of stuff on their AR-15 that they will never use.

So for now, the only upgrade I'll recommend is a Maglula to help speed up the magazine loading process, which facilities more shooting. :)
Exactly this, there is no need to go full tacticool with your first AR… :)

Ohhhh send me a link. That's just down the road and I can pick them up soon. Don't need 10 tho
Yes, yes you do. That's a good start.

Some great advice so far. Sling and optic for sure. Find out what you like: 1x red dot, 2x, 4x, red dot with magnifier, LPVO? What size, micro 20mm or 30mm? Lots of options. All have their place and preference. Find yours BEFORE you buy.
You'll find the rest after you run it a while. Congrats on your first!

Everyone likes Pmags, but I've had great success with Hex mags

Also a good sling! And actually use the dang thing!

I personally run a small hand stop as opposed to a forward grip. But situations and personal preferences reign supreme here.

a good white light is never amiss if it's your go to.

and the best thing you can get for your new AR...is range time.

Iron sights, ammo, and gas to get you somewhere to practice. Keep it light and well used. Also, don't forget that resale value is mostly in the gun and ammo. And ARs are not terribly rare, so no need in dumping thousands into it. Save that for better investments. But if I had to choose one it would be a light, crisp trigger. That will help with accuracy, which will in turn save money.

AMMO, all you can get your hands on, if you think you have enough, your not even close! Having just enough is when you cannot remember where it's all stashed and you accidently stub your pinky toe bad on a crate of it, THEN, you have just enough! Same with P-Mags, if your finding them in your laundry, your cars center console, the dish washer, under your pillows, you might just have enough! Your wife should automatically buy you a 6 pack of P-Mags several times a year, completely random, like Hey Babe here's some more P-Mags, though you should have more, Love ya!

Once you get there, THEN start messin about with additional cool guy stuff! Stick to the basics, Trigger, Iron sights, maybe a light, maybe some rail sections, and covers, maybe a new stock or a charging handle! Start with the basic generic Rifle or Carbine and then accessorize as you find what works!
Once you got the hang of things, and have a good idea where your going, then spend the buxxx on a higher end, more trick, specialized type of rig with all the doodads, and cool guy gear!

Me, I like um light and sexy, high speed/low drag, and fast as hell!
20 years runnin them professionally, I'm kinda biased!
1624695385066.png

I personally love Sig products, but also have seekins, colt, and DD. Consider Windam Weapons, I've got a heavy barrel As already said buy it, clean it, lube and shoot. Shoot your iron sites then add an optic. I like aimpoint for red dot and an ACOG for slight magnification, on both my 300 and 5.56. See what after market stuff fits your hands and the way you shoot before you piss money away and don't like it. Have fun! It's your gun make it for you! Good luck finding ammo, we stop at BiMart and get lucky every couple of weeks.

Coming back to this thread:

I don't advise going on a buying spree without thorough planning, but here's what I appreciate in order of what I'd recommend a "new" AR owner to look at each time some money was burning a hole in the pocket.

1) Sights, whether thar be reputable irons, a reputable red dot, or a reputable low power variable.
2) A mountain of magazines and ammo
3) Sling, magpul 2/1 QD point.
4) White Light, streamlight Protac railmount 1
5) Larue MBT2s Trigger
6) Magpul BAD lever
7) Ambidextrous charging handle
8) Bravo Co KNS handstop
9) Chest rig or
10) Plate Carrier and armor
11) Night vision
12) Thermal

*Training throughout
** This assumes you have an adequate side arm, otherwise thar would be #3 or 4.

Lancers are good but VERY pricey.
I get 'em here ($13.98)

Before the naysayers chime in, I've never had a single problem with Botach except slow shipping waaay back in the day.

Fun fact :
Lancer Mags
The only polymer mag that can run 458 SOCOM

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR