JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How are Buress optics? I was looking at the TAC30 which is a medium range with a red dot on top for short range. It's like a $500 scope so it seems legit and not an Amazon knockoff.
I do have an xd9 with laser/light combo for home protection.
this is more for plinking yes but also protection and prepping just in case…. Ya know.
I have no experience with Burris to be honest. Could be great optics. What I can say is that I am a firearms instructor and teach classes pretty often; I don't see Burris optics often so take that for what it's worth.

I have no experience with Burris to be honest. Could be great optics. What I can say is that I am a firearms instructor and teach classes pretty often; I don't see Burris optics often so take that for what it's worth.
I own a single Burris optic, and it's not bad at all. My biggest grief is the eye relief is much too close for my taste (2.5") but the clarity is good and it hasn't appeared to shift zero through a few hundred rounds. The build quality seems nice and overall my only gripe is the eye relief otherwise I'd be looking to use it more.

Well, you already got a sling and mount, so I'm out of ideas already.

Wait,

1. AGC-ACT trigger if you are using it for general purpose or combat
2. 3lb Velocity drop in trigger if you are using it for accuracy/target/sniping/LD

Since this is your first AR, my recommendation would be to hold off on the upgrades/modifications and just shoot the rifle first. Shoot it a lot and find out what you like/don't like about it and only after that, make the necessary changes.

Otherwise you'll be doing what mall ninjas do, which is to pile on a ton of stuff on their AR-15 that they will never use.

So for now, the only upgrade I'll recommend is a Maglula to help speed up the magazine loading process, which facilities more shooting. :)
This.

Read it, then read it again OP.

PSA and DSG both use D&H, which made USGI mags under their old Labelle name. Brownells has the GI tooling, and Okay Surefeeds are basically GI. Other than that, Gen 2/MOE or Gen 3 PMAG; stick to those and you're good to go. Lancers are good but VERY pricey.

I'd hold off buying anything until you have trained with it, then based on that experience you can decide how you want to add things to it based on what you experience would benefit being added. Otherwise you'll inevitably fall into to the "new AR owner trap" of your new AR looking like a "tactical magazine" threw up all over it.

Good suggestions, but to add:
Spare BCG, or at least a bolt, cam pin and firing pin + retaining pins.
Minimum magazine load-out is 7) 30 round mags, or 210 rounds.
Magpul MBUS polymers out perform the vast majority of iron BUIS out there, even most "tier 1" sights costing 2 or 3 times.
Quality cleaning kit.
Ammo and range time.

So far this is what I was thinking:
- Burris TAC30 with fast fire 3 optics
- Vg6 gamma muzzle brake
- folding vertical fore grip
- extra mags
Honestly it sounds like you've got a decent handle on things. The first things I'd recommend are the ones that will help you be get more shots on target with good optics being my #1 recommendation followed by magazines. Then comes a sling, and maybe something to carry your magazines in if you plan on going outdoors with it. That muzzle device is also great, I have VG6's on a couple of things and they do not disappoint for the price-point. The rest is sort of preference and it may change once you get the gun in your hands.

I have a couple of the folding handgrips and don't use them very frequently as they don't feel quite as durable as non-folding options. That's not to say that they're bad or that I break them, I just found I wouldn't actually use the folding feature as much as I thought and instead just take VFGs full on or off as needed because they're almost all easy to attach or detach without tools, and that I appreciate not worrying about the strength of the hinge/lock. I might recommend looking at Grip-Pods, I have one I use with somewhat regularity. Don't think of them as a replacement for a great bipod like Harris, but it's a useful accessory to give you a little extra height and/or support when you need it. Look for ones that have at least steel reinforcement in the legs, I got a really cheap knockoff once and its un-reinforced polymer leg broke like cheap plaster the first time I laid down with it.

After all that you can get a feel for it and see what you might like to add further down the road! I really like the Magpul K2+ grips. I'm not familiar with the m400 directly but it looks like it's already got and ambidextrous safety, not sure about the bolt-release and mag-release. but those could be potential upgrades. One thing I've learned is that if you're fine with learning and doing your own work, you don't need to necessarily go for top-of-line accessories

Oh ya, don't forget AMMO and lots of it! We've talked a lot about accessories and do-dads here, but there's truly no replacement for experience behind the trigger. That will not only be the most important component in improvement but it will also inform your upgrade choices. Through practice you'll learn what feels good in your hands, what is making you slow or giving you trouble. Don't be afraid to reach out if you're having problems and trouble figuring out the diagnosis.

So we got
  • Optics
  • Magazines
  • Ammo!
  • Sling
  • Load bearing gear (if desired)
I think you're all set! IMO the most important tools are the ones that get cartridges near the gun, into the gun, and then accurately through the gun, after that it's preference and practice. Good luck and have fun!

Good suggestions, but to add:
Spare BCG, or at least a bolt, cam pin and firing pin + retaining pins.
Minimum magazine load-out is 7) 30 round mags, or 210 rounds.
Magpul MBUS polymers out perform the vast majority of iron BUIS out there, even most "tier 1" sights costing 2 or 3 times.
Quality cleaning kit.
Ammo and range time.
Thoroughly second getting spare parts. Even a simply quality "oops" kit is real handy if you plan on swapping out parts. I was glad I have some neodymium magnets when I sent a spring flying being too confident.

All good ideas. Magpul Pro's are the best and most accurate iron sights you can get. A bit expensive at $150 or so, but but do allow you to change from a front combat post profile to a sharp shooter front post. Very sweet.

Good luck and have fun!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads