JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anybody know what this is.

20220723_095957.jpg

20220723_095952.jpg

I was leaning in the direction of a adjustable shot thrower....until I notice the hole in the bottom of the "cup".
( So to speak)

Now I am thinking that it is the very rare , one of kind* ....Whatisit Dohickey , made my ACME and sold through a famous salesman known only as Wylie .... :D
Andy

* I say one of a kind ....'cause its the only one pictured here....:D

What did it come out of, box, weapon or casing?
The guy picked it up at a gun range. I failed to take a picture of the primer side and requested that he do so and send me the photo. I bought some primers from him today and he asked me what I thought it was. It looked to be about the size of a 9mm if the bottom part was pushed into the top part.

Edit: I believe it had a spent primer in the bottom. I am requesting a photo of the bottom side to confirm. It may have been a fake primer, snap cap type? There doesn't appear to be any carbon in the exit side.
I'm gonna go with Simunitions or UTM training rounds.

Here's a few pics of a spent 9mm Simunition UTM cartridge from one of my force-on-force trainings.
Does what you have look similar?

Simunition1.JPG

Simunition2.JPG

Simunition3.JPG

EDIT:
Changed Simunitions to UTM

Last Edited:
Looks like UTM training ammo, probably one of their man marker rounds.

View attachment 1245564
View attachment 1245567

The stuff in my post above is actually UTM ammo. Says so right on the side of the cartridge. I went back and edited my initial post to correct that.
It also has that same "RH" mark on the side, just like the stuff in your top pic.

Last Edited:
That does look similar, how does it function?
See @ColeInOregon's post below yours, showing the cutaways.
The cartridge fires a solid wax-filled marking round that really smarts if you're not wearing enough protection. See pics below.

My very first experience with UTM ammo, I was squared off with an opponent from the previous year's course at about 7 yards. This guy had been through the drill the year before, and I was the n00b. I was wearing those fingerless, "village idiot" gloves, so I could be sure to work the trigger properly. Didn't think for a minute that I would get hit on the ends/tips of my fingers. That first duel changed my opinion on that, toot-sweet! When you're in a "gunfight", with both of you aiming for/shooting at center mass, your fingers are gonna get hit.
UTM_wounds1.jpg

These 3 wounds were under-the-arm hits when engaged in a 3-shooter scenario, much like the gunfight scene near the end of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. The scenario had three of us pitted against each other, separated at 120˚ angles, with a single barrel each for cover. The instructor arranged it such that if you sought cover from one shooter, then the other shooter could get you, if he was paying attention. I shot Shooter #1 a few times while he was behind his cover and engaged with Shooter #2, then I ducked back behind my barrel to reload. When I did, Shooter #2 was able to catch me with a few well-placed shots under my left arm that smarted like all hell. That was through a sweatshirt. But all in all, that drill taught me a lot about the use and limitations of cover!

UTM_wounds2.JPG

Last Edited:
What propels the wax round, is it reloadable or one time use?
There is little to no powder in them. Mostly propelled by the primer alone.
One-time use. Muzzle velocity is about 500 fps.
They can really smart if your skin isn't covered, as my pics above will attest.

If you've never tried FOF training with Simunition or UTM ammo, I highly recommend it.
You'll learn a helluva lot that you'll never be able to learn with live ammo... for obvious reasons.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top