JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
C&R? What falls under that classification? 1903's? M1 Garands?

What's the cut off? If it does include things such as the above mentioned, would the forum section title benefit from a title edit?

Its a specific term used by the ATF defined below. There is a C&R FFL collector license (though now useless in Oregon)

Curios & Relics | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

1. Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas of such firearms;

2. Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and

3. Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.

Nice, thanks, Bolus.

Based on that, and being welcoming to new members, and idiots like me, i would love to suggest something additional to the section name to help expand peoples knowledge.

I wrongly assumed this would be black powder and other lesser known/weird stuff.

Nice, thanks, Bolus.

Based on that, and being welcoming to new members, and idiots like me, i would love to suggest something additional to the section name to help expand peoples knowledge.

I wrongly assumed this would be black powder and other lesser known/weird stuff.

At this point, there is no designated black powder section (maybe @Joe Link would consider adding one??), so those are still found among the regular guns. But the C&R stuff is pretty cool to browse anyway - you'll still see a lot of those guns in the regular listings too.

Yeah a black powder section would rock!
Alright back to my corner now , hanging out with Daniel Boone and Kit Carson LOL

But as stated earlier C&R firearms are pretty cool to see.
Blued wood and steel , old guns with a good honest history of hunting or family use.
Andy

Don't overlook the US State Department definition of an ANTIQUE firearm, as distinct from a C&R firearm -

Under Title 18, Section 921(a)(3) of the United States Code, "antique firearms" are specifically excluded from the definition of "firearm" as follows:

"The term ''firearm'' means (A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon; (C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm."

Title 18, Section 921(a)(16) then defines "antique firearm" as follows:

"The term 'antique firearm' means -

• (A) any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and
    • (B) any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica -
      • (i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or
    • (ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade."
Here in yUK, ANY firearm or which ammunition is not commercially manufactured is classed as an 'obsolete firearm' under Section 58 of the Firearms Acts 1967 et al. So you can buy and own it, but you cannot shoot it unless you get it put on your firearms certificate [FAC], like my Sniders.

ANY Trapdoor Springfield in .45-70 Govt, fer'instance, is classed exactly the same as any modern firearm.

tac

This is a good question which goes hand in hand with the larger question of how we do (or should) separate categories here. I'm going to make a feedback post so we can discuss it now :)

Edit: Feedback Thread Here

Last Edited:
This is a good question which goes hand in hand with the larger question of how we do (or should) separate categories here. I'm going to make a feedback post so we can discuss it now :)

Too many categories/separate forums already. If I scan down "General firearm" any topic I'm interested in will pop out to me. "Want to Try" would make a fine topic in General Firearm. We have "Firearm Law & Legal", "Firearm Legislation and Activism", "Firearm Related News". I fear we'll get like The High Road with separate forums for every thing, blue guns, stainless guns, revolvers, semi-autos, bullet casting, black powder pistols, black powder long guns, hammered revolvers, hammerless revolvers, etc.

Butt-hey Joe, it's your site, and it's a good one and my favorite, nothing will change that.

Just posted the aforementioned discussion thread here.

Too many categories/separate forums already. If I scan down "General firearm" any topic I'm interested in will pop out to me. "Want to Try" would make a fine topic in General Firearm. We have "Firearm Law & Legal", "Firearm Legislation and Activism", "Firearm Related News". I fear we'll get like The High Road with separate forums for every thing, blue guns, stainless guns, revolvers, semi-autos, bullet casting, black powder pistols, black powder long guns, hammered revolvers, hammerless revolvers, etc.

Butt-hey Joe, it's your site, and it's a good one and my favorite, nothing will change that.

I agree!

Well for one, I'm thankful there's a separate forum other than General Firearms for Cleaning and Maintenance.
Because that's not general at all!
kid

Well for one, I'm thankful there's a separate forum other than General Firearms for Cleaning and Maintenance.
Because that's not general at all!
kid

Yep, General Firearms is for general firearm-related chit-chat, along the lines of "Do you prefer black or FDE?". The Cleaning and Maintenance section is for actual information, along the lines of "How do I disassemble my Glock 19?".

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top