JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This thread reminds me a little of the time in high school (a long time ago) when a couple guys asked me what a handgun goes for "on the street".

I asked them what kind of gun, and all they said was "You know, a gun, on the street". :)

This thread reminds me a little of the time in high school (a long time ago) when a couple guys asked me what a handgun goes for "on the street".

I asked them what kind of gun, and all they said was "You know, a gun, on the street". :)
I figured regardless of what type of firearm, if it is complete and operable that it would be worth a minimum amount. I was trying to figure out what that amount might be. Even with a hi-point I have trouble seeing an operational one selling for less than $50 or $60.

I figured regardless of what type of firearm, if it is complete and operable that it would be worth a minimum amount. I was trying to figure out what that amount might be. Even with a hi-point I have trouble seeing an operational one selling for less than $50 or $60.

I didn't mean to knock your thread. It's a good discussion. I bought a $50 gun a year or two ago, an orphan that nobody else seemed to want. It's an old bolt-action 16 gauge shotgun from the 1950's, in perfectly good, usable condition. I just couldn't pass it up for that price!

I suppose anything is worth what someone will pay for it. Pretty much any usable firearm is worth something to someone. Heck, High-Points have a pretty good reputation as a usable gun, for a very cheap gun. I'd take one over a Jennings, Raven, or RG10, any day. I probably wouldn't pay anything for an old worn but functional RG10, but I'm sure someone would. For pretty much any functional firearm there's probably someone out there willing to pay $50. Kind of like cars; any old car that runs well enough to provide basic transportation is worth $500.

I think it's probably harder to get much out of cheap old guns now though. Buying a $50 junker from a friend is one thing, but is it still worth it when it's $50 plus the cost of a transfer and BGC?

Curiosity, I don't think I have ever seen an operable firearm on the NWFA classfieds for less than $60. I believe it was a Savage 64 type 22lr.

One of the cool things about the new classifieds is you can sort by price :)

My least valuable guns are either a H&R Pardner single shot 12 gauge or a Kel-Tec P3AT. Haven't shot either in nearly a decade, but both are worth more to me as functional guns than someone would give me for them.

I picked up a raven 25acp and a rohm 38 special 4in got them for $25 apiece from a friends dad.
Gave the raven to my daughter still have the rohm, ammunition was more than the guns lol.

I do like to tinker with cheap guns occasionally. I have plenty of quality guns too, but once in a while I'll come across something inexpensive to fiddle with just for fun, like the old J.C. Higgins 16ga.

I do have to draw the line somewhere though. Having tinkered with both a Jennings J-22 and an RG10 .22, neither have any value to me at all. Pot metal junk with no redeeming value, in my opinion.

Tinkering with cheap guns does help me appreciate quality guns. I'll take some low-budget rimfires to the range a few times, like an old Rough Rider or H&R 922 revolver, and start to get used to the fit, feel, trigger pull, sights, etc., then I'll take a nice vintage S&W revolver. Wow, makes you really appreciate quality.

As to hookers, I don't have much to say there, other than you couldn't pay me to touch one, top shelf or not. I'm just enough of a germ-o-phobe to be repulsed by the thought. Not for me.

Last Edited:
I went ahead and posted a want ad thread for handgun under $60. We'll see if there is anything useable out there for $60 or less. Thanks everyone for chiming in.

Good luck to you. I guess I didn't realize you were seriously looking for something that cheap, assumed it was more of an academic exercise.

The only advice I have is to do some research before buying something that cheap, if it's all you can afford and you need it to be functional. There's a lot of junk guns out there in that price range that appear functional, but were actually junk the day they were made. In that price range you could easily spend your money and end up with nothing.

For a functional handgun that I'd expect to be able to even minimally rely on, personally I'd put a bottom dollar at more like $150. I think it's easier to get a usable inexpensive rifle or shotgun than it is a handgun.

Good luck to you. I guess I didn't realize you were seriously looking for something that cheap, assumed it was more of an academic exercise.

The only advice I have is to do some research before buying something that cheap, if it's all you can afford and you need it to be functional. There's a lot of junk guns out there in that price range that appear functional, but were actually junk the day they were made. In that price range you could easily spend your money and end up with nothing.

For a functional handgun that I'd expect to be able to even minimally rely on, personally I'd put a bottom dollar at more like $150. I think it's easier to get a usable inexpensive rifle or shotgun than it is a handgun.
This will be a fun gun (if it doesn't blow my hands off).

$150 bottom dollar, half the firearms in my arsenal were under $150, I am a hi-point aficionado:)

It's likely due to the transfer laws. Not worth a sellers time, schedule a meet up, wait etc etc. I'd wager anyways.
You might be right but the seller is least impacted by the transfer process compared to the buyer who genrally pays the fees, has to fill out all the paperwork and wait around until the process is complete. I think it also has something to do with potential sellers subconciously feeling more "gun rich" by owning a larger quantity firearms. When they need cash it's easier to let go of one $300 firearm versus five $60 firearms. It could also be that the really cheap firearms are in the bottom of waterbodies waiting for the magnet fisherman to come along.

You might be right but the seller is least impacted by the transfer process compared to the buyer who genrally pays the fees, has to fill out all the paperwork and wait around until the process is complete. I think it also has something to do with potential sellers subconciously feeling more "gun rich" by owning a larger quantity firearms. When they need cash it's easier to let go of one $300 firearm versus five $60 firearms. It could also be that the really cheap firearms are in the bottom of waterbodies waiting for the magnet fisherman to come along.

That, and the sellers time.

Whereas before the trade could be done whenever convenient for the seller, promptly after service in the church parking as an example. Now the seller may need to drive 2 towns over during particular business hours...

There seems to be a lot of disdain around here for very low budget firearms. That made me think that people would be begging to get rid of these PsOS. I have a suspicion that is not how it's going to play out.

"There seems to be a lot of disdain around here for very low budget firearms.""

Yes and No.

Depends on your definition of 'budget firearms'.

As an example: I own 2 budget firearms or at least what I consider budget compared to all the top tier firearms I own:

An HP 9mm carbine and a S & W SD9VE, 9mm pistol, both cost in the neighborhood of $350.00 and $300.00 respectively.

Both budget and both dependable as the day is long.

If however the price various guns can fairly command is half or less, I'd be leery and disdainful as they're likely the equivalent of what used to be termed 'Saturday Nite Specials' - in other words junk.

Oh, I forgot another 'budget gun'. A Ruger LC9S sub-compact (came with 2 magazines) I bought for it's great reviews, light weight (for wearing when doing yard work) and yes, low cost as it it was going to be exposed to a work environment. I don't really remember what I paid for it, something like $300.00. I grew to hate it's snappy recoil, but yeah, it was (compared to some of my pistols) a budget gun.

Next time I see my daughter, I'm going to see if she wants it. She's looking at a Sig 365. She's old enough to own a pistol as she's in her 50's...

Perhaps a lot of these people do not want to be "outed" as having budget firearms along their more expensive ones?
That could be and since I requested that offers be posted with photos in the thread that might make people even more apprehensive about being outed.

Or it could be we have a more highbrow audience here on NWFA and they don't own any such lowbrow firearms. I might need to post want ad in Nickel Ads:)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top