JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not a gun snob. I have some nice guns and some cheap guns. I've been at it for a very long time and have accumulated a number of what I consider nice guns, but I've never in my life walked into a gun shop and plunked down a thousand dollars for a gun, of any kind. I don't own anything that would impress a true gun snob.

I also have a few low dollar handguns, like the aforementioned RG10, an old turn-of-the-century .38 S&W break open revolver, and a Rough Rider .22 revolver. I'm not even remotely ashamed to own them. My problem with sub-$100 handguns has nothing to do with what other people think, but rather that most anything in that price range tends to be a malfunctioning, pot metal, fall apart piece of junk. That's been my personal experience.

In my experience a $60 handgun is about like a $200 car. Can you find one? Maybe. Will it be functional? Maybe. Will it be a headache to keep it functional? Probably.

I'm not a gun snob. I have some nice guns and some cheap guns. I've been at it for a very long time and have accumulated a number of what I consider nice guns, but I've never in my life walked into a gun shop and plunked down a thousand dollars for a gun, of any kind. I don't own anything that would impress a true gun snob.

I also have a few low dollar handguns, like the aforementioned RG10, an old turn-of-the-century .38 S&W break open revolver, and a Rough Rider .22 revolver. I'm not even remotely ashamed to own them. My problem with sub-$100 handguns has nothing to do with what other people think, but rather that most anything in that price range tends to be a malfunctioning, pot metal, fall apart piece of junk. That's been my personal experience.

In my experience a $60 handgun is about like a $200 car. Can you find one? Maybe. Will it be functional? Maybe. Will it be a headache to keep it functional? Probably.
I hear ya, but I have bought quite a few new firearms for $130 and under. It doesn't seem like a stretch that these guns could sell on the used market for 60% of new price. It could be that a $100 new firearms will not depreciate as much percentage wise as an $800 firearm.

That is true. I guess I haven't really paid much attention to used inexpensive guns. I don't recall seeing many handguns of any type for under $100 much at all. The last one that caught my eye was a little .32 S&W revolver at a gun show recently.

It was the type made from the 1890's into the first part of the 20th century; very inexpensive at that time. This one was typical of the type, looked well worn. The price tag on it was $95, and while I was standing there a guy walked up and bought it, saying that he saw a couple boxes of ammo a couple tables over for cheap.

I felt bad just standing there. It's a huge no-no to ever butt into someone's deal, so I didn't, but I wanted to warn the guy that that old gun was probably not safe to fire with modern ammo. Many of them were made with "black powder" frames and were quite weak by modern standards. It shouldn't blow up in his hand, but will sure wear out very quickly if shot more than a few rounds.

On the other hand I occasionally shoot my old turn-of-the-century Saturday Night Special. I load the little .38 S&W rounds very, very light and shoot it just for fun. I think I paid $20 for it about 20 years ago. I've even shot the little RG10, but only with Mexican "Kolibri" powderless ammo. I consider the RG10 and J22 to be the bottom of the barrel for cheap junk.

Nothing wrong with tinkering with cheap stuff like that if that's what you like to do. As you can see I've done it myself; just make sure you know what you're getting into. If you can find someone to sell you a used High-Point for $60, more power to you. They're not my cup of tea, but they seem to have the reputation for being a good value for the money.

could be that a $100 new firearms will not depreciate as much percentage wise as an $800 firearm.
This is very true. I sold my 995 Classic with original sights, plus Primary Arms 1-4x scope, 4 original 10rd mags, and takedown tools for the same amount I paid for it minus the cost of scope and rings. These things routinely have their values within $100 of retail new prices... and thats for the carbine. For their handguns, routinely within $50 of what new ones sell at Cabela's :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top