JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Can give ya a little in site on the reasons for local populations in the valley. I was raised in Talbot/Jefferson area and had neighbors with the remnants of a old Nutria farm and pins. Said the original owners had them imported from Europe ( keep in mind this was a long dam time ago) released them due to falling fur prices from the fur slipping after a few years. Lady's sported them as a cheaper alternative to mink back then. Didn't like it when their coats/shawls shed. The quality of the tanning may have had something to do with it. Noticed the newer mink coats are much better quality than the old ones. The older lady's in the family all had mink.
So- anyway they let em loose and they thrived in the creeks till I was old enough to terrorize them. Never made much money on the hides but had a hell of a good time trapping and shooting them.

I thought they were imported to be self-perpetuating targets?

nutria.jpg

We had friends that raised Nutria in the 50's, just outside Seaside. I think they were more of an alternate to muskrat rather than to mink. Fur is much closer to a muskrat's...yep, market for the fur fell and people just quit tending the pens.

It is my understanding they come from South America. Cook like you would beaver. The meat is good tasting, the Chinese love it.

Sounds just like LLama values. 20 years ago LLama used to costs a ton. Now people are giving them away.
Must be a little slower on the 'West' side - they have been gone for about 10 years now over here in the 'East' - same as Ostriches - the only people who made any money were the ones selling breeding pairs during the height of the fad - I know one guy who got into it and he wound up with five acres of adult Ostriches - and no market for them - I had a suggestion but he wouldn't even think of it at the time.......

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top