JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I once watched an episode of 'Bizzare Foods with Andrew Zimmern' and he went on an air boat hunt in the deep south for them and assisted with a cajun style BBQ with them.

He said it was pretty good - and it looked good as well!
It wasn't bad when I tried it, granted it had been soaked in teriyaki marinade for a few days before it was smoked.

I bet it would be good braised with onions and vegetables.

I'd be curious to see how close it would taste to beaver. I've never had beaver.
I didn't do the shooting but I had nutria Jerky in high-school too. It wasn't bad. I'm sure braised would be good too.
I "shared" some with some friends in school. Funny part was they both helped themselves without asking, so I wasn't inclined to tell them what it was, at first. My friend from Ukraine freaked and stormed out of class. Other friend was indifferent. I had a chuckle for sure.

Eating Nutria? Sick. Go to Safeway and buy a steak. Geez.

I've killed many dozens on our farm in the old days. Eat them, I can honestly say NEVER!

And always keep a look out for hiding nutria, two people walked by this guy... hidingnutria.jpg

I've tagged 20 this month, may be running out at that site. Got skunked 4 nights ago without a sight of one and only got 1 last night. Did have another poke out at about 120 yds right as light was dying but by the time I'd ranged it and dialed up, it was gone. Gonna try again tomorrow night.

.22 match ammo with a silencer and a good mil scope is bad news for them.

I remember Lake Washington had a Nutria problem and they hired some trappers from New Orleans to take care of the problem. I would have done it for free just to go to Juanita Park and shoot with a suppressed 22LR.

Anyway ever hear if they successfully eradicated them from King County? Not sure if they're still a problem in Skagit, but they were at one time.

Me three! ... but I'm a Washington resident.

I've never even thought of hunting them and am not sure if there are any around SW Washington. I have not heard anybody ever talk of them around here. Anybody out there know for sure?

Thanks.

Me three! ... but I'm a Washington resident.

I've never even thought of hunting them and am not sure if there are any around SW Washington. I have not heard anybody ever talk of them around here. Anybody out there know for sure?

Thanks.
They are right across the big river in the Bybee Lakes area, so they very well could be in the Vancouver area.
They like low country sloughs and channels with muddy banks.

i heard a while back of a guy that would go to mississippi every year and shoot them for the bounty. said the little buggers would pay his trip + ammo costs

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top