JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Old guy here, I was writing code before a lot of you were born(DOS) on an osborne and a trs80. Go ahead look them up I'll wait. You were still examining the poo you pulled outa your diaper when I was on the internet in the nineties. I am also old enough and experienced enough to know that nothing is secure and the only way to judge the mettle of a man is to look him in the eye. I only shop online when I can have some degree of security, and the amounts involved aren't of much consequence.
I had a TRS80, remember them well. I spent thousands of hours writing my own programs on my Commodore back in the '80s. If I'd only have kept at it, and gone on to do it professionally...

The generational divide only seems to be getting worse, as time goes on. My kids often seem to think they're superior somehow because they know all the new technology. In reality it's just because they have the time and interest to learn it all. I ask them, Who do you think invented that stuff? That's right, a bunch of "dumb old boomers"!

Technology builds on itself. The generations aren't so different after all, and can learn from each other if they're willing. I get my kids to show me how to use stuff all the time, not because I can't learn it myself, but because I'm too busy working and earning an income to pay for their food, to take the time and interest to learn something I'd rarely use.

WIth regard to certain items such as guns, ammo, powder etc. where shipping is a hassle or not an option then I understand someone not wanting to ship but for items OK to ship I will still not question anyone's reasons for NOT wanting to ship, however, shipping will increase one's ability to sell an item and there is a simple way to overcome this part:

The main reason I won't ship is because it seems the expectation is that shipping costs are paid by the seller.

Well, I sell a lot of stuff (gun and non-gun) and shipping costs are never an issue because I use that horrible, maligned, often cussed organization called Ebay.

I recently listed a set of vintage Sambar staghorn grips for a 'K' frame S&W and got a $125 for them - including shipping. I also sold an incomplete (sold as parts only) old CVA muzzleloading rifle for $100. $400 for several complete and parts vintage Winchester buckhorn sights was a nice score as well. I am sure these items would still be unsold if I posted them here.

My point is I see many items listed on this forum for sale (and Ebay OK) and would probably sell - including shipping - if one were really serious about selling the items in the first place.

I am in no way endorsing Ebay but it sure works for me.

WIth regard to certain items such as guns, ammo, powder etc. where shipping is a hassle or not an option then I understand someone not wanting to ship but for items OK to ship I will still not question anyone's reasons for NOT wanting to ship, however, shipping will increase one's ability to sell an item and there is a simple way to overcome this part:

Well, I sell a lot of stuff (gun and non-gun) and shipping costs are never an issue because I use that horrible, maligned, often cussed organization called Ebay.

I recently listed a set of vintage Sambar staghorn grips for a 'K' frame S&W and got a $125 for them - including shipping. I also sold an incomplete (sold as parts only) old CVA muzzleloading rifle for $100. $400 for several complete and parts vintage Winchester buckhorn sights was a nice score as well. I am sure these items would still be unsold if I posted them here.

My point is I see many items listed on this forum for sale (and Ebay OK) and would probably sell - including shipping - if one were really serious about selling the items in the first place.

I am in no way endorsing Ebay but it sure works for me.
Yea, shipping is for the big boys.
There's a whole heap a people who's sole income, often not so modest at all, is effected solely BY shipping.. think drop shippers, of which Amazon etc. Is almost solely comprised.

My people would bury their dead with their treasure for Valhalla and stuff.
What geographical location would that be? I like to visit historical sites!:s0060::rolleyes:

man-shovel-51025.jpg

The issue is the opposite for me: People don't want me to ship and I live in NC so not shipping is an issue. I can easily go to a UPS or USPS location to ship.

Course, due to work time is an issue. If you buy from me, it could be weeks or two months before I can ship something out.

As long as you stay in contact with the buyer, I don't see a problem with people waiting to ship when they are able to do so.;)

What is it with people not being willing to ship in the classifieds?

Because I like cash
Also I get to meet some decent folks, but mostly because I like cash
I was just asked by a member to ship something to him. My ad is still up. It's $20 worth of junk to make a wall hanger. His first text was would I ship it to him FOR the $20 purchase price. Next text was "How much to ship it to him?" I declined on both. This illustration is really typical of why many of us won't ship something to anyone. I'm not a retailer. If you want to know what the shipping charges are, go find out! Don't ask me to do it. I understand that it doesn't hurt to ask, but it's also insulting when done in the wrong context. I like to think that this forum is filled with gentlemen and scholars, not a venal marketplace in Tijuana.

Two very recent classified experiences:

1. Just sold ammo. Offered to ship. Still had a guy 90 miles away ask if I would meet up. :rolleyes: no. Guy did not want to share his address, ok I get that. Did not need to sell the stuff just did it since its surplus to me and guys out there cant get it. (before any ammo troll comments, it sold under market and $10 went into the board donation button)

2. Cut a trade (gun for gun) for a "Brand New Desert Eagle" 3hrs North of me in WA. So FFL shipping my gun for his gun. BUT he just joined PNWF in May, only had 14 posts to his name, and every post was trying to trade/sell the Deagle off. Zippo other posts. When asking for any ammo he had to go with it, the "new" DE had 8 rounds..... Ok, now we have too many red flags. Shipping is no longer an option. I opted to drive the 6hr round trip to see this DE in person and deliver my trade vs ship. I also thought long and hard on the trade as it was clear to me this was a fired gun, not brand new. Even fired I was ok with the trade, just not happy it was miss represented. But my #1 concern was "did it exist at all."

Got there and sure enough, it was real but, it was indeed fired. Great condition overall but yes fired. The seller claimed "test-fired" at the factory. Finger into the mag showed the mag with the gun also had been fired. I pointed out, they don't test fire mags. The response was "well its only been shoot like less than 10 times". :s0002: My plan all along is to also shoot it so still got it, again just wish the seller had the honor to represent it correctly. Why I did not ship this transaction.
He probably inherited the pistol or "panic" bought it and it's the only firearm he owns. As a consequence, he may have assumed far too much about test firing and you caught him being ignorant. I, on the other hand, being very knowledgeable about all things firearms related, bought the actual Colt 1911a1 That Hitler killed himself with just before fleeing to Oregon and giving birth to Mrs. Brown. Nothing gets by me!

I'm not a retailer.
Neither am I but it's not hard to simply give someone a shipping cost, and even if it's more than correctly calculated the buyer might not care as the value of the item to him might outweigh the shipping cost, and calculating shipping is pretty easy however.

I did not regard his asking the shipping cost as 'insulting' but then I am more of a 'glass half full', 'honey as opposed to vinegar' kind of person.

Neither am I but it's not hard to simply give someone a shipping cost, and even if it's more than correctly calculated the buyer might not care as the value of the item to him might outweigh the shipping cost, and calculating shipping is pretty easy however.

I did not regard his asking the shipping cost as 'insulting' but then I am more of a 'glass half full', 'honey as opposed to vinegar' kind of person.
Your point is well taken. Generally speaking, if someone is willing to ship something, they'll let you know in the ad. I feel the pain of some folks that live in the more remote parts of our states and are truly unable to drive 5 miles and buy what they need. I shop online for virtually everything anymore and I'm in the suburbs of Vancouver! Besides, I am old, bitter, everything hurts and I haven't had a bowel movement in four days.

I can understand this but you can change the 'bitter' part.

Unless you already do I highly recommend you start using a psyllium fiber supplement. It is natural and helps immensely!
My wife has recommended that I take down the picture of Nanci Pelosi that I have in my shop bathroom. She thinks that it causes sphincter tension issues.

He probably inherited the pistol or "panic" bought it and it's the only firearm he owns. As a consequence, he may have assumed far too much about test firing and you caught him being ignorant. I, on the other hand, being very knowledgeable about all things firearms related, bought the actual Colt 1911a1 That Hitler killed himself with just before fleeing to Oregon and giving birth to Mrs. Brown. Nothing gets by me!

Age-wise, more like playing too many video games with it and bought it thinking it would be "cool fun to shoot". Then shot it, and wifie who actually brought it for the transaction, (all 105lbs of her) did not like it either, so started their quest to get rid of it in May. They bought it new 1/2019 so just over a yr with it. Sounds like they have other guns this one just was not as easy to shoot like the video games. :rolleyes:

I had a TRS80, remember them well. I spent thousands of hours writing my own programs on my Commodore back in the '80s. If I'd only have kept at it, and gone on to do it professionally...

The generational divide only seems to be getting worse, as time goes on. My kids often seem to think they're superior somehow because they know all the new technology. In reality it's just because they have the time and interest to learn it all. I ask them, Who do you think invented that stuff? That's right, a bunch of "dumb old boomers"!

Technology builds on itself. The generations aren't so different after all, and can learn from each other if they're willing. I get my kids to show me how to use stuff all the time, not because I can't learn it myself, but because I'm too busy working and earning an income to pay for their food, to take the time and interest to learn something I'd rarely use.
My first programming effort was to use a Commodore VIC 20 to run an elevator in a small apartment building.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top