JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Post coffee! I've been thinking about this. I don't usually do things on line with an email to a local shop. I think those guys are busy and probably don't know you in a email unless you have been doing business with them for years. I go in talk to them and offer to put a deposit on what I am purchasing. If they say no and I get bubblegummed I'm out and will never return. But I can't say that has ever happened to me.

Side note I would love to know who it is.o_O

Man, tough crowd here. :eek:

I just go into the shop and they fill out an order, they take my name and a deposit. I get the call when the gun comes in. I wouldn't think of doing it any other way?

Sounds to me like he forgot about you and then handled the situation poorly. People make mistakes, but don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. While not ideal, I would have totally forgave the guy if he said he made a mistake and gave him a second chance. He could have sweetened the pot by giving you $10 off or a free box of ammo or whatever. But don't lie to me and certainly don't take me for a fool.

Edit: I also recommend doing business in person and not through email. It always seems to work out great.

I gotta say:

As a customer I have had extremely poor results doing business by phone or email.

As a guy that has owned several biz, I have to say that even when the customer is wrong, you deal with the customer as tho they are right. I was never nasty to anyone in writing, on the phone, or in person, despite many many problems and irritating, irrational, or arrogant customers. Totally the way to lose business... word gets around.

I gotta say:

As a customer I have had extremely poor results doing business by phone or email.

As a guy that has owned several biz, I have to say that even when the customer is wrong, you deal with the customer as tho they are right. I was never nasty to anyone in writing, on the phone, or in person, despite many many problems and irritating, irrational, or arrogant customers. Totally the way to lose business... word gets around.
I believe William Blake had a saying about that...
"The truth told with ill intent beats all the lies a man can invent."

Not much to add , other than it sounds like the shop owner messed up and didn't make good.

There still are businesses that have great customer service.
A couple years ago I phoned in a order for an out of print gun book from a well known antique gun dealer...
My order somehow got lost in the shuffle.
When I called about my order, the owner came on the phone , found my order , and shipped it out himself.
My book arrived with a note explaining what happened and a apology.
I'd order from them again without worry....

I wish more companies were like this.
Andy

I have been through close to the same, just with phone calls. I wanted a fde .2022 w ns. Talking to an owner I had done business w before he said he found some in stock put me one in his cart to order an it would be in within a week. Call him back the gun is sold and memory seems fuzzy. I simply won't go back. He's lost my business. It all worked to my favor because I got one on a black Friday deal $50 off. And sold an AR I was going to trade in for over $100 over trade in value. Got the pistol AND a case of ammo by waiting a bit. And learned whose not my friend and who has lost my business from now on. My time is worth something as well. And if your busy I get it, just don't bs me. :)

Not much to add , other than it sounds like the shop owner messed up and didn't make good.

There still are businesses that have great customer service.
A couple years ago I phoned in a order for an out of print gun book from a well known antique gun dealer...
My order somehow got lost in the shuffle.
When I called about my order, the owner came on the phone , found my order , and shipped it out himself.
My book arrived with a note explaining what happened and a apology.
I'd order from them again without worry....

I wish more companies were like this.
Andy
THAT I would also reward. Everyone screws up. If some shop did and admitted it to me and tried to make good, fine. I would certainly give them another shot. Lie to me and or laugh me off and tell me to go elsewhere? I will go and never come back.

Give them another try down the road, maybe the guy was having a bad day.
Went into Keiths over ten years ago, with $1500 in my hand for a firearm. I stood at the counter for 45mins with three employees not doing anything, one asked if I needed help, only to answer the phone mid-question, then replied to me "its gonna be a few minutes". I went to the other employee and asked for help they said they were busy, on the computer. Keith was there and walked away when he heard me asking the second employee for help. I wanted to purchase a stainless bi-centennial engraved browning hi-power for $1100, at one point i put the money on the counter and waited 5 mins. I never did get that pistol and have never left a gun shop so upset. Bubblegum Keiths, and their good prices!
Guess I should take my own advice and give them another chance one day.

Give them another try down the road, maybe the guy was having a bad day.
Went into Keiths over ten years ago, with $1500 in my hand for a firearm. I stood at the counter for 45mins with three employees not doing anything, one asked if I needed help, only to answer the phone mid-question, then replied to me "its gonna be a few minutes". I went to the other employee and asked for help they said they were busy, on the computer. Keith was there and walked away when he heard me asking the second employee for help. I wanted to purchase a stainless bi-centennial engraved browning hi-power for $1100, at one point i put the money on the counter and waited 5 mins. I never did get that pistol and have never left a gun shop so upset. Bubblegum Keiths, and their good prices!
Guess I should take my own advice and give them another chance one day.

I've received the same treatment from Keith's too many times. I've bought lots of guns from them in the past, but haven't been back for years. They are so successful, they don't even know I'm not a customer any longer. Same with Gun Broker. And I'm sure he hasn't a clue that I gave up on him. Want a follow up with N.W. Armory? Not gonna happen. I think the common denominator is gun shops. They're busy. Business is good. They don't need me right now. Since I know this, I'm spiting only myself by staying away.

WAYNO.

For me Keith is one of the few I do business with. He is the only guy there that does trade values, kinda sucks but it's his shop. He's always given me more in trade in than the others and was always straight w me even if it's not what I want hear. The waiting sucks in a busy shop but if he's got some free time he's been good to me. I like his gun prices but ammo and mag's I can do better. Sucks you didn't get good service.

He directed me to a little gem in his used section. A like new p226 w 4 -20rd mags, fiber optic night sights, all the factory stuff, for a hair over $700. Registered it with Sig as new and really ,really enjoy it.

Last Edited:
I have had really good experiences at both Gunbroker ( only clackamas shop is still up, at one point had Tualitan and woodburn stores) and NW Armory. NW Armory I prefer on slow days if they are packed I leave, made some of my best purchases at NWA. Gun Broker in clackamas was a cool shop for awhile, I know Roy. I hadnt been in there in probably 5years( since all there shops were open) it was sad, very little inventory, tons of over priced wheel guns and shotguns. Last few times I drove by I havent seen Roys bike out front, im wondering if the county changing the way 82nd used to run by there place effected there business, now its kinda difficult to even get to.

I have had really good experiences at both Gunbroker ( only clackamas shop is still up, at one point had Tualitan and woodburn stores) and NW Armory. NW Armory I prefer on slow days if they are packed I leave, made some of my best purchases at NWA. Gun Broker in clackamas was a cool shop for awhile, I know Roy. I hadnt been in there in probably 5years( since all there shops were open) it was sad, very little inventory, tons of over priced wheel guns and shotguns. Last few times I drove by I havent seen Roys bike out front, im wondering if the county changing the way 82nd used to run by there place effected there business, now its kinda difficult to even get to.

I thought I knew him too, and thought we had a good relationship, and have done lots of business with them, until he went off on me one day. And I mean really went off! I asked him to receive a gun for me, and next thing, I and every body like me was trying to put him and other gun dealers out of business. I've never been back.This was a specialized gun that I could never buy from anybody other than a collector.

And NWA? Their business is good. When they are swamped, they cannot handle phone calls. I get that. So I've tried contacting them via their "contact us" option on their website, allowing them a chance to answer me when they have a better opportunity. They will not answer.

My point to all this is simply, gun shops are busy. Busy enough that they cannot even abide their long time customers. I can boycott them, or go without. I'm not hurting them, but only hurting myself, and I know that.

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
I thought I knew him too, and thought we had a good relationship, and have done lots of business with them, until he went off on me one day. And I mean really went off! I asked him to receive a gun for me, and next thing, I and every body like me was trying to put him and other gun dealers out of business. I've never been back.This was a specialized gun that I could never buy from anybody other than a collector.

And NWA? Their business is good. When they are swamped, they cannot handle phone calls. I get that. So I've tried contacting them via their "contact us" option on their website, allowing them a chance to answer me when they have a better opportunity. They will not answer.

My point to all this is simply, gun shops are busy. Busy enough that they cannot even abide their long time customers. I can boycott them, or go without. I'm not hurting them, but only hurting myself, and I know that.

WAYNO.

That sucks about Roy. First place we went, well, after the Gun Room.:oops: What it boils down to is don't go anywhere on a Saturday afternoon and expect to get your hand held and have sweet words whispered in your ear! I mean Really! Go to a gun show and get to Kieth's first off. More people waiting to help you and you get to have their undivided attention, for awhile, before the place gets busy. Especially now days when everyone isn't afraid of our gun rights being taken away. Probably should forget about the sweet word altogether though. At least whispered in the ear? :D

In the past I have wanted a certain gun. Went to about 6 or 7 gun shops and had the gun and info all printed out with my phone number. They all said they would look into it. Not one called me back. They mustn't have needed my money. If buying a new gun today I just go to Gun Genie and buy the cheapest selection. The gun shops have brought this upon themselves. The new Henry .22 rifle with a 24" barrel is a good example. I could waste a couple of days time and gas money going around to different shops to try and find one and then it would be more the Gun Genie price. I sit at home, order the gun, pay the deposit and in 2 or 3 days it is here and go and finish the transaction at the place that is listed. Why would I want to screw around, possibly being insulted(which has happened several times in the past) and generally go on a wild goose chase when it is so simple to buy the Gun Genie route.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top