JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Earlier posts about lever action carbines and single shot rifles are spot on for me as is the comment about steel framed handguns. I absolutely love the lightness of my wife's 642 (I can feel the gun getting soooo much heavier as I load rounds into the cylinder), there really isn't anything like picking up my 1911. There is weight and it needs to be holstered and belted correctly to carry all day, but it inspires confidence because of it's heft.

To pick one gun, though?

Mossberg Maverick 88. Prices have gone up some in the last couple of years, but in my opinion, they are one of the best deals in new firearms.

I would love to hear your experiences.

The abridged edition.

At one time, I had three revolvers chambered for this cartridge. In different barrel lengths. 3, 4 and 6 inch. Two were Ruger SP101's, the third was a Ruger Single Seven. First, in my experience, it was fussy to load for. Chrono results indicated that it didn't like very many powders. Second, I could never get very good accuracy out of any load in any of the three guns. My unexpert, unscientific opinion is that it may be similar to the .357 Maximum, where it was taken just a step too far to be a good handgun cartridge (at typical handgun barrel lengths). What with the long case creating a long, relatively narrow column for the powder to burn out of. Maybe it does better out of carbine or rifle length barrels. But I will never know from personal experience because I am done with the cartridge in any way.

As a .32 revolver cartridge, .32 H&R Mag was good enough. In a 4 inch barrel, I could get as good of performance out of the .32 H&R Mag as I could .32-20 in the same gun (had a cylinder for each). At least according to my chrono. Without using maximum loads.

A big selling point for the .327 Fed Mag was that it was powerful, high velocity, with less recoil than larger caliber similar design handguns. All of which is true but doesn't say anything about accuracy. Which I guess people buying them strictly for self defense don't much care about.

We may hear from someone else who has nothing but praise for the accuracy of the .327 in their handguns. That just wasn't my experience.

I wanted it largely for the much smaller calibers suppressed. I have some basic loads for it made up with cast bullets and tight group. No idea how this will group. Which powders did better in your estimation?

Rock Island 1911

For under $400 you can pick up a great USGI 1911...for less than $500 they can be found with all the modern features.

They look good, function flawlessly, and are affordable. Rock Island could probably tack $100 on to the price of each gun and it would still be a value.

Lever-actions in revolver cartridges (e.g., .327 Federal, .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .454 Casull, et al.). Many are accurate, hard-hitting, light-handling, capable of taking deer-sized game, enough to make two-legged varmints take a seat, some can be suppressed if one wishes, etc. And with practice, one can become very fast with them.

Da Vinci is reported to have wrote "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." I believe this applies to this class of carbine; they just works. :s0155:
I love my Henry in 45 Colt; cartridge has been around for over 100 years, but in a strong action it'll push a 250grain XTP into the 1100's. I'd put it up against anything in North America inside 150 yards, especially with a 10-round tube and one in the pipe. Smoke if you got 'em!

Undervalued in my collection would have to be my Glocks. They do seem very robust and never have failed, but for some reason I literally cannot shoot accurately with any except for my carry G43. I even have a new G34 polished with a McNalley trigger and I still suck. Now put a CZ Shadow, P10c or P09 in my hand and I can't bang the plates all day.

For many years the Mod 67 & 15 Smith & Wesson's were very undervalued.

Essentially the same guns as the 66 & 19 but in .38 Special only.

So while everybody wanted a 66 & or 19 the 67s & 15s went unnoticed - yet a lot who own a 66 or 19 shoot only .38s in them anyway. Until recently I have seen many mod 67s in the $400 or less range with 15s going for proportionally less due to being blue finish. Only a couple years ago I saw a 67 asking $375 !!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top