JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Howdy everyone!

As of today 7/8/23 the Oregon State Police firearms background check queue is sitting at just under 700 pending submissions.
For those who may not know, the queue had reached around 48,000 in November, and it was taking many folks a month or longer to get cleared for their firearms purchase.
We have encountered many people who were understandably hesitant to enter the queue, in fear that if the ballot measure was shoe-horned into effect, their guns would be in legal-limbo.
Now we are semi-pleased to inform everyone that may have been on the fence, that the average approval times are now between 2-5 days.

We hope this encourages some of ya'll to get out there and exercise your right to buy some noisemakers!

Have a great day!
Team Mazama
Mazama 50th Anniversary- non transparent.jpg

Im sure it has more to do with demand is down because people are out of money.

I don't know that people are out of money. I'd say those that wanted guns, particularly ones that might be "on the list" have bought them already. Others see the Sept date here in Oregon in the not too distant future and have lets hold off for now and see what happens with that. I know that's what's going on with me. I have one last trade to do this weekend and nothing planed after that. Bottom line is I think most people have enough guns for now so the demand is down causing the backlog of background checks to get closer to what used to be normal. Before November I never had to wait more than a few minutes to pass the background check. As far as gun money, I'll still be spending mine on reloading for, and accessorizing my already owned guns.

I have a couple of guns I would love to buy but it will probably take two years for the demand will go down enough to see them on store shelves.

I want a new Ruger Marlin 44 and a 357 in the same model lever action.

Took a long time before my new 9 mm showed up on store shelves.

Props to OSP for clearing that back log. I think 48,000 in queue is the state record. I wonder if the demand for firearms went down since November thus allowing them to catch up?

Props to OSP for clearing that back log. I think 48,000 in queue is the state record. I wonder if the demand for firearms went down since November thus allowing them to catch up?
Considering they were slow walking, I'm going to say that the que is cleared due to lack of money and waiting.

We got more cancelled bg check notices today. It appears that OSP is just canceling many bg check requests instead of trying to clarify discrepancies?
Yup. And depending on where you purchased said firearm, if there is a clerical error, OSP may not have the time or ability to check in with the POS for clarification.
For example, if BiMart employee enters an erroneous bit of data by accident, the BCG will be cancelled because there is no way to clirify with said BiMart sales location.. Really, any corporate styled store, Cabellas, Sportmans etc.. Mom and pops stores may get a delay on the BGC or just cancel it depending on how bad the error is. That's what I'm seeing right now anyway.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews