JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I currently prefer to use a 55 gr bullet when I reload 223 rounds. If I load for a 1/9 twist 16" barrel, should I go up or down in weight if I am forced to use a different grain because of availability. Thanks for your help.

mookmanjdj
Heavier bullets will be the same diameter as lighter ones but will be longer and reguire more spin to stabilyze them while in flight. That being said, I suggest that
with Your 1/9 twist that You probably could shoot about a 75-80 grain bullet with no problems. if it were me I would go up in weight if possible.

Good shooting

Lindy

with a 1:9 twist, you should be good down to about 50grs, but would be better off going heavier. For the 16" barrel, you might not want to get much heavier than 69gr as you won't have the muzzle velocity and twist to stabilize it. I don't recommend going to the really heavy weight bullets (75+)

Lots of variables besides just weight to consider. Bullet shape, length, velocity, are a few.

A long "VLD" bullet in a heavier weight will perform just as well as a lighter, shorter bullet.

My 16" bbl AR's perform quite well with bullet weights from 50 gr to 77gr (SMK's). One is a 1:8 and the others are 1:9.

Just remember that a 16" bbl AR is a "Carbine", not a "Sniper Rifle".

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top