JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Let me look.
0c988287-faf3-4c4f-a96b-7b319783622e_zpsgul5c34h.jpg

American Rifleman, G&A, Shooting Times, and whatever rag has a special subscription price. Seems I'm always getting a new magazine in the mail.

I don't think much of any of them. I open them up just to see the latest releases from the manufacturers, then I make up my own mind.

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
I agree except for American Handgunner! Love this magazine.
Look forward to it.:D:D:D:D

Even though I know they are basically advertising for the industry I still enjoy perusing all of them. I know to take anything said in them with a grain of salt. If I see one laying around I have not read and have some free time I will always pick it up to look through. Kind of like walking into a large gun shop. There is a hell of a lot of guns in there I have no intention of ever buying. I still love to look at all of them though. :)

American Rifleman - comes with membership. I value regular columns like The Armed Citizen, answers to reader questions about old guns, the articles on an historic firearm or the firearms used during some historic event, information on legislative activity and lawsuits. I glance at - but rarely read - the reviews of new firearms.

Im not subscribed, but I have every issue.. "The book of the AK47" I think shotgun news puts them out?

In any case, I NEVER miss the annual issue. That or any magazine that has an AK on the cover :confused:

American Handgunner is the one I've stuck with over the years. Some are more interesting than others of course, but I usually find something worthwhile. I was just digging through my stack(s) the other day looking for a brand of pistol lube the gun smith raved about.

Shotgun News...yeah yeah I still call em' PM rather than conversations TOO..
CHEAPPPPP...$25-30 yr 36 issues .....build projects..reviews..tactics....ask a GS
MOST OF ALL REFERENCE..BE AN AMATEUR GOOGLE FU

Rifle, Handloader (both by Wolfe publications) and American Rifleman. Other than that, I have the reference books like Cartridges of the World, Hatchers Notebook, and Propellant Profiles (and a good number of new and old reloading manuals). It's interesting enough to pass these long boring winter days.

Handloader and American Rifleman here, too. I used to get Shooting Times for Skeeter Skelton's articles years ago, but without his caliber, they just aren't the same anymore. You old guys remember Jack O'Connor on hunting?

Well, I'm a sucker for the magazines. Firearms News (lots of ads, but I enjoy the history pieces), GunNews from the WAC, American Handgunner, Guns and Ammo, American Rifleman and Muzzleloader magazine. Plus this Web site and a couple others.

I thought I'd toss this out for discussion. I've culled down our firearms and outdoors subscriptions in recent years. Beyond the NRA magazines that come with the memberships, I still subscribe to The Double Gun Journal (focuses on singles and doubles) and Small Arm Review (focuses on machine-guns, silencers, and other topics). Beyond that, I subscribe to Gray's Sporting Journal (more outdoors journal than strictly firearms) and on rare occasion pick up something of interesting at the newsstand. The more mainstream magazines, however, hold no interest. Some of of them appear to be little more than poorly written ad copy sold at $8-10 a pop.

What firearms periodicals do you subscribe to and/or actively read? Any you don't care for?
I subscribe to (in addition to two NRA mags) Rifle, Handloader, Shooting Times, Guns & Ammo, Guns, American Handgunner, International Ammunition Association's "Journal". I used to subscribe to IHMSA News, but no ranges around here have Silhouette matches any more. Seems like there are several more I can't think of right now.

Recoil and World of Firepower. All I`ve found that aren`t 90% ads and paid reviews. Doesn`t mean I won`t thumb through American Rifleman if it`s on a counter or something. Doesn`t mean I`ll keep an eye out specifically for it either.

EDIT TO ADD

And yes, I`m looking Directly at you, "American Rifleman", "Firearm News" and "Guns".

Last Edited:
I agree with a lot of what's already been posted. My pops was an avid GUNS AND AMMO subscriber, so I used to read his back issues all the time.

Most gun magazines tend to be hit or miss, so I don't subscribe to any, though I will thumb through issues at the grocery store or Barnes & Noble if they catch my eye. RECOIL has great eye candy (gun pr0n), though the writing of the articles can be hit or miss - though one small column that they run occasionally that I really like is a "gun travel" series where they visit small arms / firearm museums all around the US and the rest of the world... good information for a future vacation, and I get live vicariously through their photography since many museums don't allow pictures.

Oh, I second the comment about AKs. Any magazine with AKs or old surplus or WW2 firearms on the cover. Instant buy. =)

Guns and Ammo, G&A Handguns, though I won't re-up that one because American Handgunner is so much better, and Shooting Times is it. Used to do Shooting Digest but wasn't into all the ads in the back.

I really like the articles of historic firearms, especially when they compare two long guns used by opposing combatants in certain wars. Also love the "What's it Worth" sections.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top