JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I parouse the magazine stand every few weeks for something that catches my eye. Sadly, with almost all publications these days, they've gone Trump. You know, saying exactly what the populist masses want to hear? Seems to be all AR's and Tupperware pistols.

But occasionally, just like in politics, I see or hear something interesting and pay attention for a few minutes.

I will subscribe for a year to most of them now and then. When I run across some deal where they are almost giving them away. I guess hoping to hook you. After I do I take them to work (after removing my info) to leave for others. When I go to the Doc or Dentists I always take a few along with old NRA mags. When no one is looking I leave them with the magazines for the waiting room. I'm sure a few heads explode when they find them after I left. :)

Oh yes! I do that too! Knowing I'll either annoy somebody to death! Or, make somebody like us have a better day!

The American Rifleman is all I subscribe to anymore! About once a month I'll pick up a survival magazine, speciality magazine about concealed carry or home defense. Bout it these days!

That's the main reason I stopped, with all the same mag's doing the same thing. How many different ways can one build an AR, and more importantly, why the heck would I need to know all that! I like to see what's new, different, and cool in the Non AR gun world and would like to see more of that, not three mags that all gloss about the latest plastic tactical fore end and mag release wizz bang button:mad: It's a friggin AR, not much special about them that hasn't been covered to death a hundred times all ready!

American Rifleman, only because it's part of my membership - and I rarely read that. I stopped reading gun magazines years ago. They just end up being glorified advertisements with gun reviews that I truly question are really being objective. To me, they were almost more like catalogs of what to buy next.

I much prefer the discussion type forum for that kind of information, that and websites that I feel I can trust. I just don't see much value in magazines anymore - same reason I haven't read a newspaper in years.

For years I thought Shotgun News was a free publication.
I would see it next to the free ODFW hunting/fishing regs in sporting goods at Bi-Mart and would grab one on my way out of the store.
Last summer, I had one in my hand when the lady at the register charged me for it.
I asked her how long that's been going on and she said as long as she could remember.
Boy did I feel stupid.

Last Edited:
Oh yes! I do that too! Knowing I'll either annoy somebody to death! Or, make somebody like us have a better day!
I started because one day had time to kill before smart phones. Looking at magazine figuring nothing would be there. Found an American Rifleman. Then later read about people doing this. Have been doing it ever since. Annoying liberals and maybe now and then some shooter finds something worth killing time with.

Yes sadly the rags are just advertising for the manufacturers. Can't really fault them it's the only way they make any money. There was an outfit years ago tried to be like Consumer Reports. Don't know if they are still around. They took no ads so the idea was to get true tests. Problem was they would buy one gun. Test it and if it worked it was great. If it did not it was crap. It made what they said worthless. It was a good idea but you can't buy one anything and then expect to know what they are all like. Plus they did not even try to get the "problem ones fixed". I would have been interested to hear how a manufacturer treated them if they had to send one back. That is VERY important to me. Tells me how they stand behind what they sell.
I agree except for American Handgunner! Love this magazine.
Look forward to it.:D:D:D:D

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top