JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Can someone tell me (or better yet show me with a photo) what Hornady's Reloading Manual says for their .223 Remington 55gr. FMJBT W/C? I'm specifically looking for data relating to Hodgdon H335 and Hodgdon CFE 223.

Thanks.

Have you checked the Hodgdon site yet? I've found their data to be right on the money for this bullet. Also, as they are a powder manufacturer, their data is more likely to be up to date with their current product characteristics.

Hornady 8th Edition
H 335
#2267 55 GR BT-FMJ COL 2.200
20.8 GR 2800 FPS
21.6 GR 2900 FPS
22.4 GR 3000 FPS
23.2 GR 3100 FPS MAX LOAD

HODGDON'S 2012 ANNUAL MANUAL
NO DATA FOR HORNADY 55 GN
SPEER SP 55 GN COL 2.200
CFE223
26.0 GN 3133 FPS
27.8 GN 3329 FPS
H335
23.0 GN 3018 FPS
25.3 GN 3203 FPS

This is what confuses me. The bullet manufacturer (Hornady) says Max Load is 23.2 gr for the 55 gr FMJBT while the powder manufacturer (Hodgdon) says Max Load is 25.3 gr and Start Load is 23 gr for a 55 gr SP.

Hodgdon's Start load of 23 gr is practically Hornady's Max Load of 23.2 for the 55gr FMJBT.

I'm not sure what to do here. Do I go with the bullet or the powder manufacturer's data? Some say a 55 gr bullet is a 55 gr bullet. Others say there are minor differences in design that need to be taken into consideration for load data.

I have not found, nor heard, of any website or publication that provides load data for the Hornady 55 gr FMJBT. You basically have to buy Hornady's manual in order to get the information. I think they should provided it to the customer when they purchase the bullets.

Welcome to the wonderful world of reloading.

I can show you 6 completely different load recomendations using the same powder slug and primer for .30M1 You have to start near the bottom and work up. What ever you do do not go over the max recomended SOMEWHERE.

Hornady publishes in a table format. For a given powder, they will list in increments of usually 100 fps for rifles. Using my chronograph and group sizes, I often find the best overall performance falls near the powder amount they list for 100 fps below their recommended max load. I will take the data from the book, and load at least 3 different loads. Then using the chronograph, I will shoot groups and measure the velocity. Look for pressure signs. Check for proper cycling on a semi auto. Measure group sizes.

There is not any magic way to know what the best load is for your gun. You have to do the work. A chronograph certainly is a big help. Learning to read pressure signs is something I am only starting to do at all well. I guess what I am saying is, hot loads are usually not needed. Your AR barrel will last longer, as well most of the other moving parts if you take it a bit easy on the loads. Generally a shorter barrel will give you less velocity. But the twist rate is usually faster in a AR .223 than a bolt gun, and that can raise pressures.

There are many articles on the web about working up loads. There can be many more steps I did not address at all. I don't put that much into my AR loads. But for my .308 bolt gun, I go to quite a bit of work to get the best I can out of the gun. I am not even close to an expert. Really just learning and enjoying the process of doing so. In other words, read up what the experts have to say, and don't just get caught up in reading the tables and trying to use max loads. Best of luck!

How many completed cartridges at each powder load would you recommend I make?

Also, how many shots should I put in a group in order to draw accurate conclusions?

Also, how many shots should I put in a group in order to draw accurate conclusions?

One shot in the center of the target could be enough. Most consider a minimum to be three with others insisting on 5 shots.

It's kind of a conundrum. If I shoot one shot and hit the target dead center will I be able to do so with the next? If I get a nice tight group with 5 will the 6th shot be a flier? If one is a Statistician, they may not be satisfied until they have at least 25, 50, or 100 shots to evaluate.

For me, I use 5 rounds to establish grouping accuracy. For chronograph "statistics" of Average Speed and Mean Absolute Deviation, I go with no less than 25 rounds.

In the "Real World", when the shot truly counts (not just killing paper) it's often the first shot that's the most important.

223 Rem + 223 AI Cartridge Guide Here is lots of general information about the .223, including some load data and reasons to load an AR and bolt gun differently.

Spreadsheet for reloading - LongRangeHunting Online Magazine Here is a link to a spreadsheet that you can input your chronograph data in to get statistical data out of your testing.

The "data" from a reloading manual is really a point in time. It was that barrel, that day's weather conditions, that batch of powder, that primer, etc. In my .308, moving from one batch of Varget to another can change the load a full grain to maintain velocity. A load that is mild and safe in the cooler months, can get pretty strong in the hotter months, and I often trim a few tenths off my loads in summer.

I agree with deadshot2. 5 rounds for groups. I usually start with 10 rounds for chronograph statistics, and then expand it when I get to sweet spots.

This is what confuses me. The bullet manufacturer (Hornady) says Max Load is 23.2 gr for the 55 gr FMJBT while the powder manufacturer (Hodgdon) says Max Load is 25.3 gr and Start Load is 23 gr for a 55 gr SP.

Hodgdon's Start load of 23 gr is practically Hornady's Max Load of 23.2 for the 55gr FMJBT.

I'm not sure what to do here. Do I go with the bullet or the powder manufacturer's data? Some say a 55 gr bullet is a 55 gr bullet. Others say there are minor differences in design that need to be taken into consideration for load data.

I have not found, nor heard, of any website or publication that provides load data for the Hornady 55 gr FMJBT. You basically have to buy Hornady's manual in order to get the information. I think they should provided it to the customer when they purchase the bullets.

There are many online sources for load data information.

But, I'd buy a manual in addition to the online info. A good manual is a good reference book to have on your desk........READ IT and take heed of the WARNINGS contained therein. In fact, buy several just to cross check things. Besides, sometimes one book may not have load data with the components that you are planning to use, but the other book may have the info.

For FREE online info (click the links)......
LOADING DATA

BUT, it sounds like you're just starting to reload. So, here is my advice to you.............

Reloading books and sites have different opinions of WHAT IS SAFE, especially when it comes to someone else's safety.

The various re-loading BOOKs are usually very specific about what components to use. Sometimes even naming the BRAND of components to use.

They have tested their published loads, with their equipment. BUT, sometimes it's a bolt action rifle and sometimes it's an AR or Mini14 or whatever. So, the publisher WARNS that their loads were "tested." But, also WARN against switching (substituting) components. And, they WARN that although the loads tested SAFE in their rifle they won't guarantee that it's SAFE for ALL rifles of similar caliber.

So, use the exact recipe. Follow the BOOK's recommendations. Pay attention to the BOOK's WARNINGS. Note the starting and Max. loads. Use the same rifle.......then, you should be O.K.

But, you may not have the exact components or rifle, that the BOOK used.

So, it comes down to RISK.

IF your comfort level is low........you might want to re-evaluate your choice of hobby.

IF your comfort level is higher..........you might elect to experiment a little.

Be safe. IMHO.......start with a minimum load and work your way up. NEVER start with a maximum load.

Aloha, Mark

Shot literally 4000 rounds or better with 24.0 grains H335 driving a 55 grain FMJBT.

You have somewhat of a unique situation here. The 55 gr FMJ-BT With Cannelure is pretty much a "Mil-Spec" bullet. It's short in comparison to the other bullets out there that are either Target or Hunting bullets. It has little bearing surface compared to the longer bullets so the variations in Barrel Friction are little. It's one bullet that can be pretty much loaded up to published SAAMI max with little risk of anything more than accelerated wear on the firearm.

Remember the published loads are SAAMI which is a bit of a code word for "Lawyer inspired" loads. The military Small Arms manual shows that M-193 rounds contain over 26 grains of WC 844 which is supposed to be the same as H335.

In other words, load, shoot, and enjoy. The bullet you describe has been "cloned" so many times by others that it's like what happened to the IBM PC.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top