JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've taken up a bit of gardening. Amazingly, none of my neighbors ask why I grow 3 full rows of pumpkins. Jumbo size, jack-o-lanterns, and even the small decorative ones are all excellent targets. Cheap, check. Biodegradable, check. Fun factor, check. Uncarved, they keep fairly well for a month or so.

I take my jacked up f150 4x, and load the back with all sorts of stuff. The best is an old hot water heater, or a tv. I usually take old toys, terracotta pots, CD cases, and stuff like that. I just find a good spot in the woods, and throw all that stuff out. I guess it's pretty safe to shoot into a backstop, so if I can find something like a roadcut or a berm, I'll use that, but I don't worry too much about it. I drink a lot of beer and pop when I shoot, so I shoot at those cans too. we usually start a campfire, and sometimes we'll throw our cans and stuff in there. Usually we shoot a lot of 12 gauge, .22lr, and 9mm, and of course 7.62x39. I shoot the steel case stuff, and in my opinion, that's biodegradeable, so all you treehuggers can sleep easy. Little trees and saplings make cool targets, you can saw right through 'em if you're good enough! 1lb propane cannisters are the sh*t, too. I usually take plenty of those. I usually shoot till I run out of ammo, which happens pretty fast, because I'm all about speed and volume. I've got bump firing down to an art. I'm usually pretty drunk by then, and I don't want to get a ticket, so whatever's on the ground when I'm done, stays. I can't risk getting another DUI. Usually I'll spin a bunch of cookies and leave everything a uniform coat of mud, gravel, and dirt, which hides all the litter, and in my opinion, that's good enough. Buried is buried, whether it's a landfill or BLM land. Plus, I'm a taxpayer, so it's kinda like my land anyway. It's cool, because other people can shoot at that stuff, too, and they don't have to bring targets up.
I live in every corner of the state, and my work speaks for itself.

I read 3/4 way through before I realized he was joking.

At least I hope he's joking.

Bring fire extinguishing equipment. An actual fire extinguisher, a shovel, couple gallons of water. You don't want to be responsible for starting a forest fire.

There are some simple wood stands that you can make. Like this one. I've made a couple and I also just buy those 4' wooden stakes (12 for $8.00) and staple a piece of cardboard to them (on the side, not in the center). You can print out actual targets, buy butcher/wrapping paper and tear off for each new target, or just cover your bullet holes with tape. Those clay pigeons sell for around $6 - $9 and you get about 90 of them.

I've been thinking about balloons stapled or taped to targets. Would provide good instant reaction, can be sized to however big you want them, they're cheap and easy to set up, latex balloons are biodegradable. I'm not not necessarily looking for center bulls-eye, I just want to know I hit vital areas.. and a balloon can provide that pretty quick.

Take an extra trash bag and pick up extra stuff. That magnet on a rope is killer. Good idea.

Good call on the fire extinguisher. And don't shoot trees. Myself and 5 friends were approached by an officer a few years ago outside Estacada. We were not breaking any laws, but had upwards of 40 firearms ranging from classics to tacticool, tons of targets and ammo. The officer appeared visibly nervous, but was very polite, complimented us on our set-up, and asked that we not shoot the trees. We showed him our stash of garbage bags and explained that we didn't bring them to haul out tree limbs. He left saying "have fun".

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top