JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A good practical target for pistol practice is a bunch of helium filled balloons. Wrap the string around a rock and distribute several in your shooting area at varied distances. The wind will make them move around a bit and when you hit they "score" your shot instantly. Even if you are lazy and don't pick up the remains the string and latex rubber will rot in a short time not leaving a huge mess.

This on a rope makes picking up steel case ammo and shotgun shells a breeze.

Retrieving Magnet, 250 Lb. Pull, Harbor freight $15.

Retrieving Magnet, 250 Lb. Pull

this is brilliant!

36905.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Big beer cans. They make a loud clink when hit with a .22lr, and usually stay standing unless hit with larger calibers. And if you are lucky, you can get an empty one at your local grocer for just the nickel deposit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Capitalism is BO$$!!!!

cans.jpg

Big beer cans. They make a loud clink when hit with a .22lr, and usually stay standing unless hit with larger calibers. And if you are lucky, you can get an empty one at your local grocer for just the nickel deposit.

I love these. I've used several of these for handgun practice. Sometimes I fill them with water for a one shot target with a centerfire rifle. Opens them right up!

cans.jpg

My advise for a newbie would be to go a gun range with an experienced shooter in order to train you in safety and handling.
Then you can move to a non-range environment.
Too often guys with no firearms discipline go out and shoot at stuff they shouldn't or an inadequate backstop. These guys are dangerous.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Capitalism is BO$$!!!!

Usually when I see these used as targets the shooters don't just pick up empties from the store. They take them out full, drink the contents, and then shoot at them along with anything else they can see.

Can you still get your deposit back after using them as a target?

cans.jpg

For the most part I've stopped shooting outdoors. I was up on the Clackamas watershed thinking "All this runoff goes right into the Clackamas drinking water".....damn. Not just the lead I was leaving but if you check, the primers of most bullets are made of lead and mercury, 2 very toxic compounds.

Wandered over to Tri-country gun club and one of the old guys mentioned that they will mine the lead out of the berms every once in a while.

That's where I shoot, and why I go there. Plus it's darn close and I can get in range time on my lunch hour.

Welcome to Tri-County Gun Club

Wandered over to Tri-country gun club and one of the old guys mentioned that they will mine the lead out of the berms every once in a while.

That's where I shoot, and why I go there. Plus it's darn close and I can get in range time on my lunch hour.

Welcome to Tri-County Gun Club

Yeah, have been interested in joining TC. Having problems clearing the calendar to make it there for the new members day. June looks good so far but :huh:

I love that range. I started to feel better about the cost to join once I considered my gas bill to get out into the woods, but my ammo costs have probably gone up as well to compensate -LOL! Oh, you might know this, but heads up in case - don't tack targets onto trees, it kills them, and it's a big ticket if one is caught. I would take a cardboard box with the target on it and put in in front of a hill that was a good backstop.

I take my jacked up f150 4x, and load the back with all sorts of stuff. The best is an old hot water heater, or a tv. I usually take old toys, terracotta pots, CD cases, and stuff like that. I just find a good spot in the woods, and throw all that stuff out. I guess it's pretty safe to shoot into a backstop, so if I can find something like a roadcut or a berm, I'll use that, but I don't worry too much about it. I drink a lot of beer and pop when I shoot, so I shoot at those cans too. we usually start a campfire, and sometimes we'll throw our cans and stuff in there. Usually we shoot a lot of 12 gauge, .22lr, and 9mm, and of course 7.62x39. I shoot the steel case stuff, and in my opinion, that's biodegradeable, so all you treehuggers can sleep easy. Little trees and saplings make cool targets, you can saw right through 'em if you're good enough! 1lb propane cannisters are the sh*t, too. I usually take plenty of those. I usually shoot till I run out of ammo, which happens pretty fast, because I'm all about speed and volume. I've got bump firing down to an art. I'm usually pretty drunk by then, and I don't want to get a ticket, so whatever's on the ground when I'm done, stays. I can't risk getting another DUI. Usually I'll spin a bunch of cookies and leave everything a uniform coat of mud, gravel, and dirt, which hides all the litter, and in my opinion, that's good enough. Buried is buried, whether it's a landfill or BLM land. Plus, I'm a taxpayer, so it's kinda like my land anyway. It's cool, because other people can shoot at that stuff, too, and they don't have to bring targets up.
I live in every corner of the state, and my work speaks for itself.

I take my jacked up f150 4x, and load the back with all sorts of stuff. The best is an old hot water heater, or a tv. I usually take old toys, terracotta pots, CD cases, and stuff like that. I just find a good spot in the woods, and throw all that stuff out. I guess it's pretty safe to shoot into a backstop, so if I can find something like a roadcut or a berm, I'll use that, but I don't worry too much about it. I drink a lot of beer and pop when I shoot, so I shoot at those cans too. we usually start a campfire, and sometimes we'll throw our cans and stuff in there. Usually we shoot a lot of 12 gauge, .22lr, and 9mm, and of course 7.62x39. I shoot the steel case stuff, and in my opinion, that's biodegradeable, so all you treehuggers can sleep easy. Little trees and saplings make cool targets, you can saw right through 'em if you're good enough! 1lb propane cannisters are the sh*t, too. I usually take plenty of those. I usually shoot till I run out of ammo, which happens pretty fast, because I'm all about speed and volume. I've got bump firing down to an art. I'm usually pretty drunk by then, and I don't want to get a ticket, so whatever's on the ground when I'm done, stays. I can't risk getting another DUI. Usually I'll spin a bunch of cookies and leave everything a uniform coat of mud, gravel, and dirt, which hides all the litter, and in my opinion, that's good enough. Buried is buried, whether it's a landfill or BLM land. Plus, I'm a taxpayer, so it's kinda like my land anyway. It's cool, because other people can shoot at that stuff, too, and they don't have to bring targets up.
I live in every corner of the state, and my work speaks for itself.

Funny and sad because its so true.:s0112:

I have a small plywood stand I made to staple paper targets to. It's a rectangular board with a "kickstand" screwed to the back. It sits on the ground and doesn't need to be pounded in. I often shoot in a gravel pit and the ground resists posts or stakes. Once the board has the center chewed out of it, I build another. Cheap and easy. Don't forget to clean up after yourself.:cool:

Ditto here, I do the exact same. I always seem to have scrap wood left over from projects and these are easy and quick to put together.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top