Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What do you do?

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Doubletap, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Doubletap

Doubletap Newberg Well-Known Member

What can a person do..if a Sheriff is holding up issuing his CHL..using a juvenile traffic offense as his reason? As far as I understand it..there are specific limits on grounds to not issue. . Unfortunately..the guy is dirt poor..so a lawyer is out of the question.. Any suggestions? NRA..OFF..? I just don't know what to tell him..figured someone here might.. Thanks in advance..

2. ZachS

ZachS Eugene/PDX Active Member

I'd start with OFF. But a lawyer might be necessary.

3. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

That sucks! Was the traffic offense a felony? If not show the guy the Oregon statutes and ask him which one he is using as the reason to deny. Remember Oregon is a shall issue state.

Look at the law here and see if there are any disqualifications.

4. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

Oregon is a "Shall Issue" state....so unless he has a FELONY or a DOMESTIC MISDEMEANOR, he is hindering his 2nd Amendment rights!

The NRA has what they call the "Civil Rights Defense Fund" that may be able to help your friend...

5. Doubletap

The guy was busted for a DUI in 1989.. Not booze..he and a couple buddies were screwin around and drank a bunch of cough syrup (Yechhh!!)..

Anyway..the Sheriff is demanding a document..showing he completed a diversion program. The system shows he completed it..but he wants papers.. Of course..he doesn't have them after 21 years..and the munipal court where it was handled can find no record..

The kicker is..this is a renewal..albeit from a neighboring County..since he now lives in this County..

Thanks for the suggestions..

6. spider

spider Hillsboro Well-Known Member

Have him enroll in a diversion class..wouldn't that be a simple task? Was it nyquil or robotussin?

7. BigBull 301

BigBull 301 PDX almost Well-Known Member

Go back to the county that issued it, and reapply there.

8. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Exactly.

Sounds like a load of crap, messing with some guy's concealed permit over an instance of robotrippin' clear back in the '80s. That sheriff is a petty bubblegum.

9. Doubletap

It was Robotussin DM.. And he found out where to go for the requested documentation.. As far as going back to the Co. it was issued in..he no longer resides in that Co. I guess he'll jump through their hoops..as it would undoubtably take more time and money to fight it..

10. HEYNANUNANU

HEYNANUNANU Newberg, OR New Member

What county is he in?

Yamhill said it would take 4-6 weeks. They had it in my mailbox exactly 7 days after I turned my app. in. I recieved my DUII in 2005. Did the program. All better now... and the sheriff didn't flinch at mine.

11. Doubletap

It's Yamhill..same for me..got mine in about 1 week and a half.. Crazy thing is..their system shows it as diversion completed..they just want the stupid piece of paper.. So he has to go to the courthouse..and have a document signed by a judge..then when the judge gets around to signing it..and entering it..they'll start his process.. Sounds like a bunch of BS to me..

12. ZachS

ZachS Eugene/PDX Active Member

How'd he find out?