JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I came across as pretty harsh above.. I should add that the workmanship displayed on your barrel is beyond shoddy. That is not the level of craftsmanship that I personally have seen come out of his shop; not only on my personal weapons but on others as well. As another person posted over in the Revelation Arms sticky I was under the impression that Roger was out of the country and had been for the last couple months.

Having worked in the "Service" industry before I can tell you that the last thing you should do is have it re-worked/repaired prior to talking to the company that botched the job. Once another person toches that barrel it becomes a he said she said type of affair when trying to get reimbursed for the rework cost.

They pointed out that the weld was so hot that it undercut into the rifling.

Just to clarify. I think it would be safe to shoot. What I was talking about when I mentioned undercutting was the TIG welding itself. Parts of the weld are below the surface of the barrel, and the barrel diameter would have to be reduced greatly in diameter at that point to fix it up.
Our current method of permanent attachment is to blind pinned it and put a small TIG weld over the top of the pin, it's much lower profile

One possible fix might be to shorten and recrown then install one of the 5.5" AR flash hiders to make up for length. The problem being that you'd loose your front sight.
I think what's on there is probably salvageable, just that we wouldn't be interested in doing it. To do so I'd have to eat my shorts to do it for a reasonable price I think. What did revelation say? I have had many other customers who have had problems with stuff he's done and to his credit he's fixed it when they've taken it back.

I think "salvage" and tacking on extra long flash hider, etc. is TOTALLY the wrong solution.

They owe you a new barrel! I would insist on that, not a hack/fix/salvage job.

Absolutely right. Also, have the new barrel installed by a competent gunsmith/shop, which the outfit that butchered that job clearly isn't.

I have to ask this, who was it that did the work? Was it Roger or his son Ivan or ????

Roger did a cut and silver solder on a mini14 years ago and it was perfect. I have a really hard time this was his work.

If this was Rogers work then I am very saddend.

SF-

Just to clarify. I think it would be safe to shoot. What I was talking about when I mentioned undercutting was the TIG welding itself.

I had my machinist friend check it out too, and he pointed out that the weld was sagging into the rifling. Sorry if I implied that you said that, I can't keep track about who said what. haha

I still haven't heard back from Roger, so... thats that I guess.

No worries, that's really really bad. If you need to verify that, I have pin gages in 0.0005" increments (for the .223 cal range) we can check with.

I had my machinist friend check it out too, and he pointed out that the weld was sagging into the rifling. Sorry if I implied that you said that, I can't keep track about who said what. haha

I still haven't heard back from Roger, so... thats that I guess.

He didn't actually put a gauge to it but with the right sized pilot down the barrel, you can definitely feel it. Its enough just looking at it to know that it could cause problems.

Wow that is hard to look at!

Below is a qoute from their website!

"Work is guaranteed for 30 days, but only the portion we worked on. We will not do 'fix this only' type of repairs, if other safety problems exist. We do not work on cheap, junky guns, or guns that can not be guaranteed. We reserve the right to refuse to work on any firearm. We also reserve the right to refuse service to anyone. None of the quoted prices include parts, unless noted. Prices subject to change without notice"

Well, Roger got back to me and said he would reimburse for the price to fix it. I figure the price of the flash hider and the money I paid him will be sufficient. I don't see a reason to make him order a barrel that's impossible to find since I'm just gonna put a longer flash hider on.

It also says something about a guy that will guarantee his work 100% and pay for it. Honestly, I hope it was somebody else that did it, cause I hear he does some awesome parkerizing. haha

Well, Roger got back to me and said he would reimburse for the price to fix it. I figure the price of the flash hider and the money I paid him will be sufficient. I don't see a reason to make him order a barrel that's impossible to find since I'm just gonna put a longer flash hider on.

It also says something about a guy that will guarantee his work 100% and pay for it. Honestly, I hope it was somebody else that did it, cause I hear he does some awesome parkerizing. haha

He didn't offer to return you to where you were before the botch job. Paying to "fix" it still leaves you with a less than satisfactory end result (in my view), but at least you will be a little better off than you are right now. I'd avoid that shop for anything you care about in the future.

He owes you a barrel plus installation. You are letting him get away very easy.

It also says something when a guy lets beyond poor work like that escape his shop. Just sayin'...

Thats just about by far the worst weld I've ever seen in my short life. I'm rather speechless and would avoid them like the plague if they are going to let that type of stuff fly.

Thats more like it.

The crown actually looks better in real life. I'm using an LED for light.

Now I just need to finish bead blasting and send it to the chromer!

IMGP6380.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews