JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If push comes to shove and I hope it doesn't, ask the business owner if his insurance can cover half a dozen people injured by shrapnel when that thing lets loose at the range. I wouldn't let my ex-son-in-law shoot that.

Clouder..

Just a Mini? Please don't crap on my thread and tell me I should get an AR-15 instead. I've already owned two and HATED them.

I don't think that is what he was implying, only that Mini's like AR's, aren't exactly scarce. I'm pretty sure what he meant was at least it wasn't some antique war rifle that your grandfather brought back from who knows where.

I would not have accepted that and left with it.
There is no need to be confrontational about it. That is a complete hack job and unacceptable.

That is backyard bubba gunsmithing.
A mig welded muzzle device, are you kidding me?

Is there a shortage of silver solder and MAP gas?

After seeing that I will not be seeking any work from them.

I hope it works out for you.

I was in a hurry to be somewhere else and didn't feel like arguing about someones workmanship in their own shop. Like I said, I'm not a confrontational kind of guy.

I took it to Tornado Tech and they basically told me I was screwed. Nice people though. They pointed out that the weld was so hot that it undercut into the rifling. Believe me you, I didn't plan on firing it until its fixed right.

However... Its still salvageable. I just need a long enough flash hider so it can be cut off before the weld. I'd like to keep the original barrel because they don't make a 1-7 twist anymore.

Gabe,
Good thing you found Tornado Technologies at least. I've had them do dozens of barrel jobs for me and I have always been 100% happy.

I would not send the gun back to Revelation. I would see if Tornado can fix it.

I would be scared to let them touch it again.

Didnt mean to offend - just meant they are common and relatively (or used to be) inexpensive.

I have had 2 mini 14s I did the same thing on, I just cut them behind the front sight and used that Choate Machine combo sight and flash hider you have, not requiring the welding. In both guns accuracy got much better IIRC and I chalked it up to better harmonics and sight picture. The old ramp/rounded triangular front sight didn't do much for me.

A mig welded muzzle device, are you kidding me?
As a welder myself it DOES look TIG welded but very poorly. It appears to have been done very quickly with no preheating. I have not TIG welded in a few years but could have done MUCH better than than that and (someone correct me if I am wrong) but isn't most of this kind of gun work done with silver solder? I do my own 'smithing, and a little for friends and neighbors but I would never touch a torch to anything gun-wise unless I knew exactly what I was doing and in this case, someone did not.

Go straight to the top as you know what rolls down hill - it never rolls up. Let them know that you do belong to this group - and it would be better if they fixed the problem rather than blowing it off.

As a welder myself it DOES look TIG welded but very poorly. It appears to have been done very quickly with no preheating. I have not TIG welded in a few years but could have done MUCH better than than that and (someone correct me if I am wrong) but isn't most of this kind of gun work done with silver solder? I do my own 'smithing, and a little for friends and neighbors but I would never touch a torch to anything gun-wise unless I knew exactly what I was doing and in this case, someone did not.

I can't say that TIG wasn't a reasonable option to use, however, this job looks as though it was done by someone who had never used a torch before. I'm not sure what the laws are regarding permanently attached devices (in regards to contributing to overall barrel length) and whether or not hi-force 44 silver solder would count as making it "permanent". Either way this guy is a hack. If trying to recover your money from this guy wouldn't probably end up costing more in the long run (lawyers, court costs, etc.), I would suggest letting a lawyer eat him alive.

Even that politician (her name escapes me) who thinks that a barrel shroud is the shoulder thingy that goes up knows that was a hack-job...

I love my Ruger's. i'm not confrontational but if that "man" try'd to hand me my Ruger looking like that....... id change my way's quick... I understand you were in a hurry, just wanted to thank you for informing us all. Even if he were just blind and dumb. He could still feel that scrappy weld and lame-o re-crown hack job. At the point he decided to give you the rifle he became a jerk. I can see were you might be worried as to his reaction. he did give you the barrel looking like that. Must consider that "good" work?

whew, double yikes and double lame on their part! Sorry for your trouble there, but like others have said it's good of you to bring this poopy work to our attention. Best of luck & I hope they do right by you. And for sure, word of mouth is both the best AND worst advertising a business can get... if they don't do you right, I bet they'll be seeing a drop in their future business!

Wondering why they wouldn't just thread and attach with blind pin as was done on mine.
Good luck in getting this remedied....

Yeah, all that's needed is a touch of a weld where the pin enters the muzzle device... It can be very small and almost un noticeable.

Sorry this happened to you, but thank you for bringing it to light. They need to be held to account for compensating you for whatever you must pay a competent shop to correct this or cover the cost of a replacement barrel.

Please keep us posted on how it goes.

Thanks for all your support. It's really frustrating what some people consider acceptable work.

I took it to tornado almost immediatly after I picked it up from RA. They said they couldn't fix it because they were afraid it would ruin some of their tooling. I dont blame em, I would have probably said the same.

I did, however, find a solution for the barrel. The barrel is going to have to be cut off before the weld, making this flash hider useless. I ordered a "m14" style thats longer to make up for the legal length.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top