JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some primary results from the last load work up.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Here's my problem with that ^^. How do you know that you're not just pulling one shot out of three? Your groups of two are touching for heck sake! And one shot pulled on two of the three targets. I'm not that good! I'm not doubting YOU are that good though. If you look at it that way, your three loads shot the same.

I've just shot my first home rolled rifle rounds. I set the target at 75yrds because I'm using the irons on the Garand. That's hard enough for my eyes, with glasses, to see the RED dot. I actually got decent five shot groups, with three at about 2" and two flyers a couple/three inches out. Powder weight varied 42-46 in four five shot groups. there was very little difference in the groups. Is it me? Is it the load? I'm not really looking for any answers. I'm new at reloading rifle rounds, but I'm getting the same thoughts that I did with handgun rounds, powder amounts don't seem to make a lot of difference.

Loaded some .308 after shooting the initial work ups last week. Shot some test loads of 121gr 9mm that had been giving me COAL issues (@Mikej has been helping with this in another thread) and all went well. I'm sure everyone on that thread thought I was overthinking it (I was BTW) ;)

I have two 9mm Luger loads I use, both have very light recoil and work 100%. With 147 grain poly-coated slugs, I use 3.9 grains of WSF, and with 125 grain stuff plated, I'm using 3.9 grains of Tight Group. Working up a 9mm load to use Accurate #2, as that stuff meters so well when I'm loading .45 ACP.

Faster powders with heavier bullets seems to be the magic recipe for a recoil impulse I like, and can shoot quickly with accuracy. Shooting these out of a Sig p320 x-5 Legion, and a Springfield Range Officer, coals are typically around 1.13 to 1.15 and I like to keep the stock springs in. ( using the 14 lb spring in the Sig, which is the heavier of the two it came with. )

Hopefully this gives a good starting point, obviously you'd need to adjust your charge a bit for the lighter bullet, if that's what you have.

Thanks @Lesliet , I'll put this data into my notebook for future reference. This last batch I've been testing has been designed to use up some old stock of powder and primers. I have about 5 pounds of aging Red Dot that I'm shooting up as well as some old primers I got in a trade along the way. The Red Dot was opened in 1988 and has been going strong ever since, but it is getting long in the tooth, and I have way to many different cannisters of powder on my shelves so am trying to use up odds and ends. After I use this up I have a couple of 8-pounders of PB and Herco that will need shooting then I might get to trying some of the newer powders out there. Since I have three kids shooting as well as myself, the consumption of this much powder will probably happen sooner than you might think.

So, I settled on 4.1 grains of Red Dot under a Speer 115gr. TMJ's I got on a killer sale a while back. This was 100% reliable across 5 different pistols and the accuracy was plenty good enough for holster drills and speed type of events. The smoke cloud this powder creates is kinda fun too!

800 so far … will do another 700 over the weekend using up all my 115 gr. bullet stash. Then there is the 1,000 147 gr. pills sitting on the shelf (oh … will it ever end …).

20200516_082158.jpg

Last Edited:
Ouch. Bad brass, or a headspace issue?

@P7id10T

Did you seat the bullet into the lands while fireforming (with, of course, a proper reduction in powder charge)?

If so you should not have a case separation like these pictures are showing unless the brass already had an incipient head separation forming. You can avoid that issue by only fireforming new or at most once-fired brass.

Hope this helps!

Loaded some .308 after shooting the initial work ups last week. Shot some test loads of 121gr 9mm that had been giving me COAL issues (@Mikej has been helping with this in another thread) and all went well. I'm sure everyone on that thread thought I was overthinking it (I was BTW) ;)

Overthinking, yes, but I'll always prefer to over think rather than under think and mess something up. :s0155:

Going to do some more .30-30 today and maybe some 9mm.

Shot the last of my plinking 9 up yesterday. I can't believe how accurate the
124 grain hard cast rebated round nose shoot out of my CZ - MANY pine cones were killed or injured yesterday!

I am REALLY surprised all of the major Mfgs. of plated bullets are OUT of .30 cal 110 Grain PRN.

Berrys, Xtreme out - I really want to order From Berrys as they show them for $73.00/K but they are OUT!!

Last Edited:
Here's my problem with that ^^. How do you know that you're not just pulling one shot out of three? Your groups of two are touching for heck sake! And one shot pulled on two of the three targets. I'm not that good! I'm not doubting YOU are that good though. If you look at it that way, your three loads shot the same.

I've just shot my first home rolled rifle rounds. I set the target at 75yrds because I'm using the irons on the Garand. That's hard enough for my eyes, with glasses, to see the RED dot. I actually got decent five shot groups, with three at about 2" and two flyers a couple/three inches out. Powder weight varied 42-46 in four five shot groups. there was very little difference in the groups. Is it me? Is it the load? I'm not really looking for any answers. I'm new at reloading rifle rounds, but I'm getting the same thoughts that I did with handgun rounds, powder amounts don't seem to make a lot of difference.
Maybe I pulled some shots, but they felt pretty good when the trigger broke. Sometimes the groups just look like that. I'd be happy if they continue to hold that size. Have to go back and proof them with a couple of 5-shot groups for each charge.

The scope was not high power. Vortex viper PST 1-4. The dot in the center of the reticle is 1" @ 100 yds so I'll be happy just to repeat this. It's a load work up with random range brass out of a 16" carbine I'll be using for 3-gun. Was just wanting to use a bullet that will hammer the steel a little more so the RO can call the hits easier.

I decided some decades ago that shooting for group was useless. I only shot for point of aim.Having a nice 3 or so group 3" away from the bull just means you missed 3 times.
I find shooting for groups quite useful when working up a new load. I decided decades ago I'll shoot for groups to see what combination the rifle likes. Then I'll adjust for point of impact once the load is completed.

Going to do some more .30-30 today and maybe some 9mm.

Shot the last of my plinking 9 up yesterday. I can't believe how accurate the
124 grain hard cast rebated round nose shoot out of my CZ - MANY pine cones were killed or injured yesterday!

I am REALLY surprised all of the major Mfgs. of plated bullets are OUT of .30 cal 110 Grain PRN.

Berrys, Xtreme out - I really want to order From Berrys as they show them for $73.00/K but they are OUT!!
Pine cones are extremely dangerous! It's good you knocked the population down a little bit! :D

I just last week, got a case of 3100 Speer 110gr TMJ from my wholesaler so they are out there

Rolled 50rds 357 with 7gr unique on recommendation from my gunsmith. Shot like a modified choke from the scoped 5" 686, so I pawned the rest off on my daughter. Turns out to be really freakin accurate in her 2" 66 so now I had to make her more. Thanks a lot, Velzey!

I finally sat down yesterday and loaded up 40 6.5 X 55 for the 1902 M96/38 Swede Mauser.

P1040819.JPG

IMR 4046 for the 140gr JSP and H4895 for the 124gr JSP. Now I just need to find the time to get to the range.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top