Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

WHAT ARE WE THINKING STURGEON SEASON RANT

Discussion in 'Northwest Fishing' started by i8asquirrel, Dec 22, 2011.

1. i8asquirrel

i8asquirrel Keizer, oregon Member

HOLY CRAP...Screw the ODFW, now the Sturgeon season opener on the Willamette river is delayed again this year until Feb. because they expect the Quata to be reach early again........HOW ABOUT WE REDUCE THE NUMBER OF F- - KING Seal LIONS eating the ADULT STURGEON...It frost My *** to play by the rules and release Brood fish , Just to sit there and watch Sealions Kill the fish Like crazy!!!

OK RANT Over!

2. U201494

U201494 Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a sealion trying to put the scarf on an adult sturgeon, that would be intersting.

3. i8asquirrel

We fish the Dodson area, You can see it almost daily. Its Freaking sick.

4. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

I watched a couple of Sea Lion throw one around that was almost as long as they were on a small river here on the coast, it was a wrestling match. The fish was out numbered two to one, but in the end, after around 20 mins., the sturgeon lost.

5. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

maybe odfw could develop a product that would make the imnaha wolves and others develop a taste for sea lion:thumbup:

1stIDFMP and (deleted member) like this.
  6. streetbobjack

streetbobjack Willamette Valley, OR Member

Maybe they could just stop lowering the quota on the Willamette.

7. WhyteCheddar

WhyteCheddar East of Moscow by the Willamette Well-Known Member

Government doing what government does best.

8. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

The MMPA (Marine Mammal Protection Act) is and SHOULD BE THE poster child for how NOT to write environmental and species protection legislation. Laws that protect "in perpetuity" are absolutely-freakin'-rediculous, and should NEVER be written, much less passed and signed by the president.

If it weren't for the MMPA, the kalifornia sea lion (whose numbers have exploded in the last decade) could be culled/controlled.
    But between the MMPA and the pictures the peta types put out of their soft/cute/cuddly faces with big doe-eyes, we have ZERO chance of ever getting their numbers back in balance.

This is what p-oed me so much about kulongosky's marine reserve/protected area order. They were originally designated to last FOREVER.

Bottom line is, the environment changes, and with it so does it's inhabitants. As a result, any/all legislation written to benefit it needs to have future flexibility.
    Be sure to remind your representatives about this at EVERY opportunity.

9. salmonriverjohn

This "how to" was described to me by an ODFW agent: Seals and Sea lions being pinnipeds are closely related to the Canine species and are susceptible to many of the same diseases that our household pets are. IF, and I stipulate if, one were to have access to a dog that was suffering from parvos virus, or distemper we'll say, and were to somehow obtain a saliva sample and then add one teaspoon of sugar to promote growth to one ounce of water and place into a suitable container and then place under a 75 watt bulb and allow this culture to grow for 72 hours, and then drop several .177 caliber pellets into this witches brew and then,,, well the population would spread this virus throughout a given area. One would have to use caution obtaining a sample of distemper as this is an extremely contagious virus that is also contagious to humans and has no known cure. This was quoted to me by a biologist. I'm in no way condoning this type of activity. Those were his words.

10. marty8587

marty8587 NE Portland Active Member

I do not think they should be protected in the river, it's not their habitat! I wish there was a way to open a season on them.

11. i8asquirrel

I don't have a problem with the Quota being lowered, but protect it with real seince. The Freaking sealions are not an indigenous spieces Tdamn things are smart and have learned that easy pickings are at the pinch points in the river...WE Need to teach them that its a dangerous place...

WHy not allow hunting of the F- - King Sealions. Say you have to hunt with a guide, from a boat . say with a crossbow or something so you can retrieve the carcass..Hell I don't know but eskimo's have been doing it for hundreds of years.. I'd pay a hefty guide fee just to Kick a dead one for all the fish both Salmon and sturgeon they have taken from my line over the years...

A solution must be out there.....shooting them with Paintballs and throughing firecrackers at them just isn't working!

12. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

I approve of this idea!

13. relsxinrod

relsxinrod Vancouver New Member

Another thing to chap your hide,everyone complains about the sealions,but as soon as someone shoots one everyone and their brother turns into a cop,me I would kindly turn a blind eye and maybe leave a six pack in the back of the shooters rig

14. Wood Worker

Wood Worker Linn County Oregon Active Member

I also really dislike the sealions, they wait till you have nearly landed the biggest most beautiful fish of your lifetime and then they rise up from the gloom like a big poo torpedo and gulp your dreams away.

15. samuelm16

samuelm16 se pdx Well-Known Member

nets and oversize c&r and lions and dams and natives all of those need to be gone before sturgeon will recover

16. 2506

2506 Seattle Well-Known Member

You forgot logging, hippy. ;)

17. cowbikinlogger

cowbikinlogger Oregun Member

From their historical SUCKCESS our Guvmunt has saved everything that it set out to save , it is rotting in our forests and regulations are rotting our outdoor lifestyle out of existance, YES this is working well for the tree-huggin seal-huggin fish-lickers. Just like Gun Control , it's not about guns but CONTROL. Who knows a season for seals? Seal Sausage? Seal Steaks , Sell Seals to China...

18. salmonriverjohn

@Cowbikinlogger, been there. While living with and around the Aleut Indians, seal was found to be very palatable! What the heck else are you going to dip your Candle fish in besides a little seal oil. I wasn't joking about the distemper virus being very effective, there was a mass die off of seals due to CDV on both the east coast of America and also the other side of the big pond. Distemper Kills Thousands of European Seals

19. Wood Worker

Wood Worker Linn County Oregon Active Member

I have often wondered if chummed sealion in crab pots would keep the sealions from tearing the pots open.
    Just a thought. I have no plans to do any such thing.

20. PDXoriginal

PDXoriginal PNW Well-Known Member

I'm all for open season on animal rights fools. That would be a good start.