JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Now, my whole life I've always heard from people on the East side of Oregon how bad drivers are in snow from the Western side of the state. In my 42 years I've never heard of a pileup this bad, no matter how bad the conditions got. If one were to factor in the population density, it would be close to 500 cars here. Good thing we suck so bad in the valley, LOL. This is what wet snow does to drivers, not that dry, blowing snow some are so used to.

I pride myself as a great snow driver and practice a lot in all conditions. Never been out of my league as I know my limits. Just pointing out certain stereotypes that are an obvious lie. I'm not saying that there aren't more idiot drivers here, just that we are not all above human error.

Now, my whole life I've always heard from people on the East side of Oregon how bad drivers are in snow from the Western side of the state. In my 42 years I've never heard of a pileup this bad, no matter how bad the conditions got. If one were to factor in the population density, it would be close to 500 cars here. Good thing we suck so bad in the valley, LOL. This is what wet snow does to drivers, not that dry, blowing snow some are so used to.
Just pointing out certain stereotypes that are an obvious lie.

Your first mistake was assuming that everyone on the interstate was from E. Oregon. It's called an interstate highway for a reason. I'd venture to bet that the majority of those involved were travelers between Portland (and/or the Willamette Valley) and points east. Certainly much of the truck traffic was interstate traffic. You've no reason to assume that those involved were residents of E. Oregon.

So regarding your 2nd statement, no.

Deadman Pass (called that for a reason) is at 3,600 feet. Article says the temp was 20*. Do you have any reason to assume the snow was wet?

Just askin'.

Last Edited:
All it takes is one idiot to ruin it all!
Four Wheel Drive, and the Bigus Dickus attitude don't mix with snow and ice, idiots way outside their skill driving way too fast for the conditions, and not following the law in carrying traction devices, or having proper winter tires! I see it every season, the little dick driver's with the souped up turbo diesel 4x4 rocking down the road at or above the normal speed limit, swerving in and out of traffic like an Indy driver tryin to out run the pace car to the re start, that's issue #1! Second is the semi trucks passing each other outside the far right lane, made much worse when they are holding up the already slow moving traffic, and worse, not chaining up when they are required and the ISP not enforcing the Chain law like their supposed to! Stupid idiots who have no business driving in those conditions in cars that they believe are winter capable, despite the fact that you need studded tires, chains or serious winter tires to pull that off!

I see it every season, the little dick driver's with the souped up turbo diesel 4x4 rocking down the road at or above the normal speed limit, swerving in and out of traffic like an Indy driver tryin to out run the pace car to the re start, that's issue #1!
No, man. Issue No. 1 is all the PBS viewers from Portland and Eugene in their "all wheel drive" Subarus. They go anywhere, anytime, in any weather don'tcha know. And if there's one of those Yakima cargo carriers on the roof watch out - you're behind a real outdoorsman.
Stupid idiots who have no business driving in those conditions in cars that they believe are winter capable, despite the fact that you need studded tires, chains or serious winter tires to pull that off!
I fear nothing when I put the chains on my Smart Car. Watch out buddy!

I was just having some fun here. Every time it snows on this side there's tons of pileups. Also, I hear about them every opportunity possible from the usual crowd too.

Here's the URL without the Google all over it:

I went to college in the snow belt. Every year, the morning of the first snow on my way to class, the freeway through the city would have a car or semi slid off the outside of seemingly every curve and a couple of smashed up cars on the shoulder after at least one of the major on-ramps. I attributed it to the jackasses doing 70 in the outside lane and the Magoos doing 40 in the inside lane. One or both of them would chance upon a regular driver in these spots and bubblegum up their day just by being themselves.

That is a nasty stretch in the winter for sure. I drive it a couple years back and wasn't sure I'd make it. Come to find out they closed that section just behind me, it was two handed driving the whole way. I can easily see how this event can happen, suddenly.

Here's the URL without the Google all over it:

I went to college in the snow belt. Every year, the morning of the first snow on my way to class, the freeway through the city would have a car or semi slid off the outside of seemingly every curve and a couple of smashed up cars on the shoulder after at least one of the major on-ramps. I attributed it to the jackasses doing 70 in the outside lane and the Magoos doing 40 in the inside lane. One or both of them would chance upon a regular driver in these spots and bubblegum up their day just by being themselves.
Exactly! Since we tend to go years here with no real snow we get hammered when it comes for the same reason. County for one can not have the equipment to keep up. MANY every time do not get this. Try to explain to them who wants to pay for stuff that sits unused for years? Then who wants to pay employee's to use it who do nothing for years? Most have a blank look when you tel them this.:s0092:
The big problem when it hits is some in a 4WD take off down the road thinking they can go anywhere. They can, they just can't stop when they come up on the Prius doing 30 under. :s0140:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top