JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went from California to Idaho and now I'm becoming a Washington resident.

How long after becoming a Washington resident do I have to wait to buy a firearm?

I purchased a gun and had it sent to an FFL while I was out of the country thinking I was going to return to Idaho once my term was over. Turns out I'm not going back there and this thing has been sitting at an FFL since June 2021. I need to get it out of there before they tell me as I have had it sitting there too long.

I should be applying to get a Washington DL later this week and now have a WA residence.

Washington does not have a fixed amount of time before establishing residency, except for the purpose of buying a resident fishing license.

Note that many FFLs believe there is a "90 day rule" to establish residency. I had to educate many folks and show them the actual law. If you live in WA less than 90 days before you buy a firearm or apply for a CPL it means that you have to list the prior addresses, and it means that the government has more time to process your pistol/semi auto rifle background check then they do for long term residents. Living here less than 90 days does not mean you can't buy a gun.

Washington does not have a fixed amount of time before establishing residency, except for the purpose of buying a resident fishing license.

Note that many FFLs believe there is a "90 day rule" to establish residency. I had to educate many folks and show them the actual law. If you live in WA less than 90 days before you buy a firearm or apply for a CPL it means that you have to list the prior addresses, and it means that the government has more time to process your pistol/semi auto rifle background check then they do for long term residents. Living here less than 90 days does not mean you can't buy a gun.
Thanks for your reply. Taking this one thing at a time. While I would like to eventually get a CPL, my priority right now is getting this gun home. The FFL was kind enough to store it but I feel like I am getting close to "over welcome my stay" and want to get it out of there before they tell me.

When I returned from abroad I was between homes and wasn't able to pick it up right away like I wanted to. I had a DL from a country that I no longer lived in, had been paying my taxes to Idaho for years, still technically an Idaho resident but had no address or place to call home there anymore. Spent the holidays in California but I did not work or have a residence there either. Start my new job in Washington this month and have found housing. This gun should of been home a month ago but I was sent to work elsewhere.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top