JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What would the ballistics look like if someone necked down a 10mm Auto case to .30 caliber, and try to keep within the case length? I'm thinking it could be an option for an American version of the old 7.65x25 cartridge? Maybe awesome in a carbine... say a Just Right Carbine with an AR barrel blank chambered for it...?

What about necking down a .50 AE to .40 bullet size? More oomph for a 10mm/.40 caliber bullet and a fat case for more powder.. again, carbine probably best use for this hypothetical round :rolleyes: I know there used to be the .440 Cor Bon and the .429 DE rounds made from the .50AE

The necked down 10mm would probably be exactly like the 7.62 tok, the cases are about the same size.

The necked down .50 would be interesting, but there are probably not ma y guns it could be chambered in. Like you said probably only really useful for a carbine, but I wonder how much better it would be than a 10mm?

The necked down 10mm would probably be exactly like the 7.62 tok, the cases are about the same size.
I dunno. The 10mm case.. I want to say its much bigger in diameter than the Tok case? Meaning maybe it could have more powder? Someone who can find out, let us know?
The necked down .50 would be interesting, but there are probably not many guns it could be chambered in. Like you said probably only really useful for a carbine, but I wonder how much better it would be than a 10mm?
Good question. Since the .50AE is a fatter cartridge... perhaps the performance would be a little better, but probably ideal for a carbine... I'm not sure here. There is a good question.. at what point is it best to go "straight wall/large bullets for case" ammo... versus bottlenecked ammo?

The nice thing about wild cat cartridges is that there are enough different types of powder to make most anything work. The problem with Wildcats is that you will not reclaim the dollars invested in most cases.

10mm is only a few hundredths longer and larger in diameter, but the 7.62 tok has a considerably longer OAL. Using .30 cal bullets in the 10mm you might run into issues being able to load it long enough to fit enough powder in, if you were using a converted gun.

I believe Magnum Research already did a 50ae case necked to a 45???
What's Better than .44 Magnum? 429 Desert Eagle by Magnum Research
.440 Cor-Bon - Wikipedia

I always wondered what taking a necked case to the extreme would do? Really short and really fat. Neck a 20mm case down to 45 with the shoulder about a half inch up from the base of the case. Would the powder in the middle burn first then burn out to the side of the case? Making a completely different burn pattern and a completely different pressure curve than anything we are familiar with now? Seems like it would be MUCH more interesting than another tweener that is just a little touch different than two existing wildcats.

P.S. I am calling dibs on the "45 Squat" moniker.

Last Edited:
Cartridges like the 357 Sig prove that short bottleneck cartridges can work, but if I was gonna neck down a 50 to a 40 and want it to do something, I'd start with a 500 S&W case. Even with the popularity of the 10mm I'd say that the 40 cal bullets available would be on the fragile side and would suggest going to 41 cal for tougher bullets. Probably no way to build a reasonably sized auto pistol for that sucker! Flame throwin bubblegum, I'd guess. :D

Still, it's fun to think up weird stuff. I've considered a couple of wildcats. One would be to neck down the Ruger 375 to a 30 cal. Ruger almost did it with the 300 Compact Mag, but they also shortened the case a bunch. The result of the full length version would be a square shouldered brother of the 30 Newton, which was quite a rocket. I believe a 180gr bullet at 3200fps would be easy-peasy. 3400, maybe.
The other, the one I'd be more inclined to do, would be to make a 30 cal version of the 280 Ackley Improved. That wouldn't be a 30-06 Ackley Improved. The shoulder length on a 280 AI is about .090" longer than on a 30-06 AI. While this long, skinny case won't be as efficient as a 300 WSM, it should better the 300's velocity, boosting a 180gr to 3000+fps. Buying a 300 Win Mag would make a Hell of a lot more sense and would be easier and probably cheaper in the long run, but what's the fun in that?:p
I honestly believe that most of the stuff we piss and moan over doesn't mean squat. But I think it's cool to manipulate a brass case to different dimensions and be able to see the results on a chronograph. I love hot rodding, cars, bikes, trucks, guns, etc. Must be a sickness.

Okay, .50AE neck down to .22 or .25 ? :eek:

.30 Carbine case down to a .22, that has been done before, right...?

EDIT; yes. .22 Spitfire; Looks similar in ballistics to the 5.7 and the .22 TCM.... hmm. In theory, the .22 Spitfire should be cheaper to procure out of .30 Carbine cases than getting the 5.7 FN ammo?

Last Edited:
How about a 50bmg necked down to a 17cal main-qimg-f676018ec6670d1c66c6311ce92fbf56.jpg

Still, it's fun to think up weird stuff. I've considered a couple of wildcats. One would be to neck down the Ruger 375 to a 30 cal. Ruger almost did it with the 300 Compact Mag, but they also shortened the case a bunch. The result of the full length version would be a square shouldered brother of the 30 Newton, which was quite a rocket. I believe a 180gr bullet at 3200fps would be easy-peasy. 3400, maybe.

I think Hornady just did this recently....
They took the 375 Ruger case and necked it down to 30 cal and called it the 300 PRC.

FIRST LOOK: Hornady Unveils New Long-Distance 300 PRC Cartridge

I think Hornady just did this recently....
They took the 375 Ruger case and necked it down to 30 cal and called it the 300 PRC.

FIRST LOOK: Hornady Unveils New Long-Distance 300 PRC Cartridge

Yup! That's how it would be. Took me a while to confirm, because most articles of this new cartridge say Hornady started with the "375 Ruger Compact Magnum", of which there is no thing. There are RCM cartridges, but they are "short cased" versions of the real deal, the 375 Ruger. Until this new cartridge came out, the full length case was either a 375 or a 416, but nothing smaller.

Crap! I could have easily thought this was a great project that I'll get to "one day", but now I need to wait and see what Ruger does about putting this into a Hawkeye. Even though I like the hot rodding part, if I can just go buy a rifle (new with warranty), cases and dies with no issues, I'm a gonna have to try one of these.

There is another thread here about cartridges that one took so long to accept and I commented in there that I've been very resistant to buying a new cartridge, even with the Nosler hot rods out there, but if Ruger puts this in a Hawkeye, I will have one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top