JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Go for it @No_Regerts.

Caveman's idea of a "Wildcat cartridge" is a "300AAC" and I'm all over it… :p:p:p

7F8EE3FA-A8BE-417C-B6B7-D817A19AE9D4.jpeg

Beyond the quarter bore- using aforementioned 7.62x39 rooshin, send the barrel to JES for a .358 diameter and boom, a 9x39 using the 358 cast. I am fond of my cz 527 in the rooshin, especially since I can use the 30 carbine bullets to put some speed on the things with AA1680. Anyone out there had a 9x39 built?

A great friend of mine-my FFL, put a 375 Ham'r (sp?) together- was forever wanting to shoot the thing but didn't have headspace gauges. Showed him the painter's tape trick (3 layers to no-go, and FL to go). When he did get the gauges in he confirmed there was no need as it was perfectly set without them.

My only wildcat experience was the 7 TCU in a 10" TC Contender for IHMSA competition in Production class. Shot a lot flatter than .357 Magnums and was more reliable on 200M rams.
Always kind of lusted for a .257 Roberts Ackley Improved with the 40 degree shoulder. Haven't gotten around to it and have run out of room in the safe. Maybe I should sell off a few others and give it a go.

Always kind of lusted for a .257 Roberts Ackley Improved with the 40 degree shoulder. Haven't gotten around to it and have run out of room in the safe. Maybe I should sell off a few others and give it a go.
That "running out of safe room" is a normal occurrence, I believe. I had some room, then Dad died. Then I bought more guns. Gave some of the family guns to my nephews and still have stuff where it shouldn't be. I think about selling a gun or two until I take it out and fondle it. I'd buy another safe, but our house is small and I don't have room for that either! But I'd still like a 257 Bob AI. And a Newton of some kind. And... :s0155:

I have used / reloaded for 35 whelen AI , 8mm-06 AI, 6mm-284, 30-338 and because I form my own 358 Norma Brass I consider it a wildcat. I have found that most standard cartridges do a pretty good job and typically are less costly. I would look for a second hand wildcat instead of having one built. By buying second hand some one elses wallet took the hit and not mine. I dont go shooting enough so I do not wish to spend my prime time forming cases. Your milage may very.

Anyone use any wildcat cartridges? I've been on the fence about having a custom/semi custom rifle built. I think I may move forward with the project and figured that I would go with a wildcat to make it even less valuable and more difficult to sell!

I'm thinking about a 25 Souper. Basically a 25-08. You can make brass by necking up 243 brass, which I have LOTS of. I'd get it twisted 1:8.5 or maybe 1:9. The standard 1:10 twist for quarter-bores would be fine, but that's not "custom".

Any favorite wildcats or BTDT info I should know before I start?
QuarterBore is a overlooked Cal . .. .25 x 204

I'm trying to get around the finishing my .35 Whelan built on a Savage 111 action with a EH Shaw barrel Boyd's Walnut stock and a Vintage Leopold Varix II 3x-9x

That "running out of safe room" is a normal occurrence, I believe. I had some room, then Dad died. Then I bought more guns. Gave some of the family guns to my nephews and still have stuff where it shouldn't be. I think about selling a gun or two until I take it out and fondle it. I'd buy another safe, but our house is small and I don't have room for that either! But I'd still like a 257 Bob AI. And a Newton of some kind. And... :s0155:
I need to watch what I say, @Velzey has a nice little 257 Roberts for sale. I know I shouldn't have touched it... :eek:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top