JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone use any wildcat cartridges? I've been on the fence about having a custom/semi custom rifle built. I think I may move forward with the project and figured that I would go with a wildcat to make it even less valuable and more difficult to sell!

I'm thinking about a 25 Souper. Basically a 25-08. You can make brass by necking up 243 brass, which I have LOTS of. I'd get it twisted 1:8.5 or maybe 1:9. The standard 1:10 twist for quarter-bores would be fine, but that's not "custom".

Any favorite wildcats or BTDT info I should know before I start?

I was looking at the .25 creedmoor. Some snobs scoff at the "Creedmoor" designation these days, but the quarter bore in that case with the Berger 133gr bullets make speed goats DRT from any distance.

I also have a Rem 700 short action in dire need of something cool.

Presuming you are doing the building since I believe you're pretty handy, reading your posts.
  • If you look at Blackjack bullets, they recommend a 1:7 or a 1:7.5 for their ACE bullet, a 131 grain quarter bore. On other forums, shooters have been foaming at the mouth about them.
  • Many superb barrel manufacturers - determine the profile you want and get a blank. I have had excellent results from Xcaliber, McGowen, and Wilson Arms (CT).
  • I suggest going for a Wyatts extended box magazine well so you don't have the limitation of mag length.
  • Edit - except for my 260, I build everything on long actions.
  • For action selection, many will suggest premium, the howling masses will all moan "Remington!" I think what really determines the choice is what stock you want to put on it. Everyone and their sister-wife makes stocks for Remy dimensions. I think Howa or Tikka would make the best 'off the shelf' donors, but most of my customs are based on Savage, and two on Rem, 'cuz I'm a cheap m'fer.
  • If you go with a Remington, have the bolt modified and an AR15 extractor installed.
  • Brass: ADG, Lapua, Peterson - in that order (though I've never found any ADG for sale yet). I'm currently modifying some Lapua 300PRC to form into a 7 LRM, and I find I need to anneal it first because it's too damn tough.
  • I think it'd be better and easier to neck-up from 243 rather than neck-down from 260. Since you have a crap-ton of 243, I'd guess my brass suggestions are moot.
  • If you get serious, PM for some more detailed info.

Presuming you are doing the building since I believe you're pretty handy, reading your posts.
  • If you look at Blackjack bullets, they recommend a 1:7 or a 1:7.5 for their ACE bullet, a 131 grain quarter bore. On other forums, shooters have been foaming at the mouth about them.
  • Many superb barrel manufacturers - determine the profile you want and get a blank. I have had excellent results from Xcaliber, McGowen, and Wilson Arms (CT).
  • I suggest going for a Wyatts extended box magazine well so you don't have the limitation of mag length.
  • Edit - except for my 260, I build everything on long actions.
  • For action selection, many will suggest premium, the howling masses will all moan "Remington!" I think what really determines the choice is what stock you want to put on it. Everyone and their sister-wife makes stocks for Remy dimensions. I think Howa or Tikka would make the best 'off the shelf' donors, but most of my customs are based on Savage, and two on Rem, 'cuz I'm a cheap m'fer.
  • If you go with a Remington, have the bolt modified and an AR15 extractor installed.
  • Brass: ADG, Lapua, Peterson - in that order (though I've never found any ADG for sale yet). I'm currently modifying some Lapua 300PRC to form into a 7 LRM, and I find I need to anneal it first because it's too damn tough.
  • I think it'd be better and easier to neck-up from 243 rather than neck-down from 260. Since you have a crap-ton of 243, I'd guess my brass suggestions are moot.
  • If you get serious, PM for some more detailed info.
The purpose for the rifle would be a light kicking deer rifle that's a bit "different". It would be used on blacktails and whitetails in areas where it's not super open. 300 yards would be a long shot. So, you can see that just about anything would work in those parameters, but I want to be different!

I hadn't contemplated real fast twists or longer magazine boxes because I intend on using the 100gr Barnes TTSX. They seem to do well with a bit of jump, so I imagine OAL of around 2.8".

I used to have a 257 Roberts, but its pretty cramped in a short action and a long action begs to be filled. So, I became intrigued by the 25 Souper because of the availability of 243 brass and the ability to fit comfortably in a short action.

I have a Tikka T3x in 243 and I'd hate to part it out because it's such a great shooter. But, I have an older 700 BDL in 22-250 with a cooked barrel. I was thinking a barrel between a mountain rifle and standard sporter contour cut at 22 inches and a McMillan Moutain Rifle in EDGE fill or an EDGE compact. A 2.5-8x36 or 6x36 scope would get mounted in Talley fixed steel rings (not a fan of lightweights) that I have on hand.

Seems your McMillan will be the longest lead item....
Yah, I understand on the TTSX's. I achieved some groups in the 2's with Cutting Edge monos in my 7/08 mountain rifle.
With your barrel profile, I'll be it will balance nicely.

Anyone use any wildcat cartridges? I've been on the fence about having a custom/semi custom rifle built. I think I may move forward with the project and figured that I would go with a wildcat to make it even less valuable and more difficult to sell!

I'm thinking about a 25 Souper. Basically a 25-08. You can make brass by necking up 243 brass, which I have LOTS of. I'd get it twisted 1:8.5 or maybe 1:9. The standard 1:10 twist for quarter-bores would be fine, but that's not "custom".

Any favorite wildcats or BTDT info I should know before I start?

You could hunt soup nazis with that!

Call it a 25 TC. The Creedmoor was based on the 30 TC.
That cartridge exists- was invented in the teens. Of the last century..... Mr. Newton called it the 250 Savage. Pull the slow twist barrel, but it will do everything you would need. I am in the process of trying to determine the need for the custom 25-06 when both the "Bob" and the 250 Savage have moved in. Good luck on your selection.

Honestly, Wildcats are a PIA. But what else are we to do with all of our free brainwaves?
The closest I've come to one is the 30-06 Ackley Improoved I hunt with. (misspelled intentionally. Sounds better, like a Sooper) :D
I'd always wanted an AI. I'm glad I did it, or had @Velzey do it, and I learned a lot along the way. And I got to spent more money on neat reloading tools.
I agree about necking up being the easiest option. I've resized .243 cases to 7mm-08 cases without any extra effort.

I do have a new one to play with a little. Belongs to a friend that knows Jackschitt about guns. He rarely hunts and wouldn't invest a nickel into reloading, but thinks it's cool. Sako Forester in a nice thumbhole stock. It's marked 6x284 and is going to Velzey Friday for a chamber cast to confirm. I'm hoping that someday I can talk him out of it. I think it would make a good antelope cartridge.

Being a Newton fan I'd think the 250-3000 would be neat, but the 25-08 would certainly have much more readily available brass.

I make the 250-3000 out of the 22 varminter cartridge. Maybe better known as the 22-250 Rem. Just size them up to .257 neck and away I go. I am not going for blistering speeds, but just another lever rifle to take among the hills.

I want to dive into this world. Just haven't gotten the itch to 100% yet. The 22 Grendel appeals to me. As does the 338 specter. Both for different reasons.

I say do it!

As does the 338 specter.
Dr. No is rolling in his grave.
Screenshot_20211124-075506_Firefox.jpg

That cartridge exists- was invented in the teens. Of the last century..... Mr. Newton called it the 250 Savage. Pull the slow twist barrel, but it will do everything you would need. I am in the process of trying to determine the need for the custom 25-06 when both the "Bob" and the 250 Savage have moved in. Good luck on your selection.
The 25 TC would be "different" than the 250 Savage. They would be equal in performance, especially the 250 Savage Improved, but they aren't quite the dame animal. TC case has less taper and is a bit wider at the shoulder. The shoulder is also set back a tiny bit further.

Hooked on rifles with bores measuring a quarter-inch, I too was attracted to the Souper (I even mocked up the cartridge and it rests with a number of other "speculative experiments" over my loading bench).

I am currently beginning to experiment with a .257 Colton Magnum in a custom Ruger #1 built by Colton himself. This is a shortened belted magnum (a good parent case is a .264 Winchester), and was "short fat" before "short fat" was cool.

Of the tribe that lays awake at night staring at the ceiling and imagining a "new" cartridge venture, I did formulate an idea some time ago that I brought to fruition: I wanted a .25 caliber rifle capable of taking deer and antelope that would fit in an Interarms Mini-Mauser action. A hard requirement would be to match the velocity (3000fps) of a .250-3000.

Initial explorations and research were toward a .223 (or .222 Magnum) case, but all previous reports indicated the velocity bar could not be reached with an 85-90grain bullet in that brass. I then learned that the Mini-Mauser was also chambered in 7.62x39.

With a case head that is SO very close to that of the benchrest 6mm PPC cartridge, no bolt face alteration was necessary, and Dennis Olson (who really liked the idea) was all too happy to mildly "butcher" a brand new Mini-Mauser by unscrewing its Communist Cartridge barrel and re-attaching a Lilja chambered in my "new cartridge" (merely a 6PPC necked up). When I contacted Redding to build the custom dies, alas, they said one other person had done this already. So much for "proprietary" aspirations, but I did assign my own name to it: it is the .25 PPC: Pronghorn Pursuit Cartridge.

It achieves 3000fps with the 85grain Ballistic Tip, and has accounted for more than a couple goats, coyotes, rockchucks and deer. Tiny gun, big medicine.

In my speculations toward the .25 Souper, I believe ballistics there would be just shy of a Roberts handloaded to what a Roberts can actually do. .25 Souper Improved might be 150fps more attractive.

I wonder at your seemingly forgone intention toward one bullet. Your new baby may not like that food.

Having shot a S&W a bazillion years ago loaded for such, I always wanted to find a 22 jet. For some reason the cartridge shape always drew me to it. Brass can be formed from .357 brass if needed.
I think I outwaited any opportunity.
A9.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top