JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was walking into Wholesale Sports in Vancouver this morning and had to stop and go back to read this sign. I, like a lot of people, use my iPhone to scan bar codes to get additional information about products and to compare prices at other area stores. This sign seems to say that if I do that in their store, they'll (try to) confiscate my iPhone and press charges against me. First of all, I don't think they have the right to confiscate private property. Second, they're telling their customers before they even enter the store that they're scared you might find out they're pricing their stuff higher than somewhere else. Of course, they have an unpublished policy of matching prices with their competitors, so my first thought is that this just seems like a way to make that null and void, or at least a lot more difficult for their customers to take advantage of. I personally think it's just plain stupid, a horrible policy to associate with their brand, something that will turn even the most open-minded customer off before they walk through the door, and probably not legally enforceable.

WholesaleSportsWarningSign.jpg

The other big box sporting goods store are known for doing this. Rumor has it they are looking to put stores further south than Springfield. Maybe they are trying to stave them off...

The sign is not worth the paper it's printed on. They can do NOTHING except ask you to leave. Their stupid assed sign does not trump state and federal law.

And if you attempt to take my camera, by force or threat of violence, I have the right to put a couple of holes in you.It's called second or 1st degree robbery. A violent felony.

God help some idiot rent-a-cop that tries to take my property by violence. It will be his last day on the job. Possibly on this planet.

And the "no weapons" signs are just meant for the bad guys! I would throw a fit. If they are going to post signs like they need to specify who they are targeting!

The sign on the door at the store in Vancouver says that long guns need to be unloaded or if you're going to unholster your carry weapon please unload it before entering the store. It says NOTHING about prohibiting concealed carry.

I think they have that sign to prevent people "show rooming" which is basically going to a brick and mortar store, touching and looking at the product but really gonna go buy it online because its cheaper. I was given a hard time when I was at best buy checking out computers at one point and using my phone to look up info, reviews and pricing.

This is a store sign/policy that was developed before so many people carried "electronic scanning" devices. The use of smartphones is going to change a lot of things...

A store/business can make any policy they want, within the law.

You as a customer, can choose which businesses gets your hard earned money.

If you do not like a policy, tell them why you will no longer be a customer. You can then tell others, just like you are doing.

If they loose enough business and receive enough complaints, they will change that policy or go out of business.

A store/business can make any policy they want, within the law.

You as a customer, can choose which businesses gets your hard earned money.

If you do not like a policy, tell them why you will no longer be a customer. You can then tell others, just like you are doing.

If they loose enough business and receive enough complaints, they will change that policy or go out of business.

Or simply disregard their policy.

Have a problem with it contact the companies that have products in that store with codes that say "for more information scan here" on them. Tell them you wanted to know more about their product but the store sign would not let you. Think that would cause the store to have a lot to worry about from their suppliers................

They can't press charges, but they might be able to file a civil suit, which wouldn't be there time especially when they find you're just a customer with an app. Now if they found you worked for Cabella's, then they might try and go after Cabella's for corporate espionage.

Greetings Northwest Firearms,

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment about the sign in question. Forums like this allow an open discussion and give us an opportunity to revisit our company policies. Many of you are correct about the original intent of the sign. It was to deter competitors from price shopping our store with actual scanning devices. That policy was created prior to every person carrying a smartphone capable price shopping any barcode. By starting this thread, you have prompted our company to re-evalauate the policy...and completely drop it. Thank you for bringing this back to the forefront. We appreciate all of the comments and realize that the policy is antiquated and no longer relevant. The signs in all U.S. locations will be removed today. When a policy is wrong or times change, we will re-evaluate and make changes.

(Regarding the firearms policy: For the safety of our all customers and employees, we do require that long guns need to be unloaded or if you're going to unholster your carry weapon in our store, please unload it before entering the store. If you carry concealed, that is entirely at your discretion. We actually host regular conceal to carry permit classes at our store, and sell many different types of concealment holsters.)

On behalf of my entire company, thank you again for taking time to bring this to our attention. It is a great way to bring about change! Please feel free to bring any questions, comments, or concerns to us.

Regards,

Matt Selders
Store Manager,
Wholesale Sports, Vancouver WA

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show