JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I started barbell training a few months ago, and it's now time to get some proper weightlifting shoes. I can find a wide variety of shoes online, but I'd prefer to try-and-buy in person. Anyone know where I can find a store with weightlifting shoes in the Portland area?

I would look for some just flat soled shoes like nike frees.
If your really power lifting knee wraps for support and a good belt is more important.
Just don't go bare foot or use those silly toe shoes.

Everyone got on the no shoe bandwagon after the story of the south american tribe that ran 100s of miles with no shoes, but here's the difference. They did this since birth. Their feet are acclimated to running and being without support.
Ours are not. Our feet are used to cushion are used to some form of support. Taking that away and then abusing your feet can lead to damage. You will pay for it later.

Keep up the weight lifting, then at the end of next month you can come help me move my new safe.:D

You could try Gallagher Fitness Resources in down town Salem, I know they have hard to find shoes but I am not sure about the weight lifting shoes.

Last Edited:
proper weightlifting shoes
o_O
What I have seen most people wear as "weight lifting shoes"o_O are whatever they decide is comfy for them.
So unless this is some new fashion trend made by some shoe company,I think it would behoove you to wear the shoes that give you the best support. I have seen guys wear everything from flip flops (Hawaiians and samoans) to work boots and everything in between
I'd wait to drink the cool aid until I saw what others wore and see if they are supportive enough for your feet. Obviously you will put more strain on your feet with lifting weight

;)Unfortunatly you're going to pay a good chunk more for lifting shoes if you buy them at a retail store.

I know you'd like to try them on, however aside from wasting just a little bit of time you can always check in with the online retailer about size exchanges.

Thats what I had to do with my throwing shoes. Try Frys in Forest Grove. They had a pair of flat sole lifting shoes when I was in the market for new throwing shoes.

I would look for some just flat soled shoes like nike frees.
If your really power lifting knee wraps for support and a good belt is more important.
Just don't go bare foot or use those silly toe shoes.

Everyone got on the no shoe bandwagon after the story of the south american tribe that ran 100s of miles with no shoes, but here's the difference. They did this since birth. Their feet are acclimated to running and being without support.
Ours are not. Our feet are used to cushion are used to some form of support. Taking that away and then abusing your feet can lead to damage. You will pay for it later.

Just weight lifting, not power lifting (yet). Baby steps :)

o_O
What I have seen most people wear as "weight lifting shoes"o_O are whatever they decide is comfy for them.
So unless this is some new fashion trend made by some shoe company,I think it would behoove you to wear the shoes that give you the best support. I have seen guys wear everything from flip flops (Hawaiians and samoans) to work boots and everything in between
I'd wait to drink the cool aid until I saw what others wore and see if they are supportive enough for your feet. Obviously you will put more strain on your feet with lifting weight

Huh, I thought I had asked where I could find what I was looking for. You seem to have thought I was asking for your opinion on whether or not I needed it at all; you were wrong.

;)Unfortunatly you're going to pay a good chunk more for lifting shoes if you buy them at a retail store.

I know you'd like to try them on, however aside from wasting just a little bit of time you can always check in with the online retailer about size exchanges.

Thats what I had to do with my throwing shoes. Try Frys in Forest Grove. They had a pair of flat sole lifting shoes when I was in the market for new throwing shoes.

Yeah, it's going to be expensive... Buy once cry once, right? Or at least until they wear out. I have some flat soled running shoes right now, but the sole is a bit too soft. I also have an oddly sized foot (12A) so proper fit is fairly important to me. I'll try calling Frye's in FG and see what the have, thanks!

Out of curiosity, what are 'throwing shoes'?

Last Edited:
Modeler
You could try one of several pair of my "weight lifting" shoes. I have a pair of slip-ons, a couple of pair of Sunday shoes, and I think I have a pair of wing tips somewhere . . .

Sheldon

Out of curiosity, what are 'throwing shoes'?

For track and field.
I throw the discus. I used to throw the hammer, weight & shot.
Although this summer Im thinking I may just stick with the disc and weight throw. Its a ton of fun and gives me something to train for.
This year my back injury messed everything up.

Tbh as long as you're not slipping, do you really need shoes? I thought the point of weightlifting shoes is so you won't slip.

Hey, cut me some slack. I was barefoot before I even knew what Africa was. :D But seriously, I'm used to being barefoot. If I don't have to wear shoes, I don't wear them.

Do you clean, jerk, and snatch regularly? If not, you don't need them, I would recommend wrestling shoes, for general weight lifting.
When you decide to do BIG HEAVY clean, jerk and snatch, consider the weightlifting shoes.

Huh, I thought I had asked where I could find what I was looking for. You seem to have thought I was asking for your opinion on whether or not I needed it at all; you were wrong.
Yeah,it's the weberneter,this is what you get
Drink the coolaid brother,and take some more PEDs
Lifting shoes...california here we come
:s0140::s0140::s0140::s0140::s0140:
"Another one bites the dust..."

I have been to the Adidas employee store a number of times lately and they always seem to have weightlifting shoes there. You can get them for half the retail price. You just need to find a pass from somewhere.

Thanks! I know my wife has had passes in the past, I'll see if she can get another one. I appreciate the help!

I have lifted weights for years and just wore tennis shoes.:D

But It sounds like your serious. So maybe you need special gear?
Anyways. Good job on keeping fit. And post a few pictures when you get all Swole! ;)

Last Edited:
If your gonna work the rack, and clean stage, you need shoes with lots of strength, and tighter fit. You'll only find them online. I think Pony used to make them. For anything else, you don't need power lifting shoes. There not real comfortable. I would not use wrestling shoes at all. You need arch support, or you'll tear you plantar f.
I haven't cleaned for over twenty years. I miss that. But when you get older, you need to be very careful. Always, always wear a belt. Always!
My best was 280 lbs. when I weighed 180.
Our neighbor who was my brothers age, snatched 318 in the world championships.
I always was nervous with squats. Bad on the back.

I started barbell training a few months ago, and it's now time to get some proper weightlifting shoes. I can find a wide variety of shoes online, but I'd prefer to try-and-buy in person. Anyone know where I can find a store with weightlifting shoes in the Portland area?

"Weightlifting shoes" are a product that was created solely to address a non-existent problem. They are 100% pure B.S., and nobody needs them at all. Get a pair of running shoes or cross trainers and you're good.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top