JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am planning on renting out my cabin and possibly some campsites using airbnb and or hipcamp platforms. Below are the possible rental units/sites I could list. My wife thinks I should just list them all and see whats rents out. If you were in my shoes what would you list and where would you list them? Prices are the potential nightly rate range and don't include taxes and other platform fees.

Main home is dry cabin, very limited power for overhead lighting/charging phones and a woodstove for heat. 2 bedroom 1 bath. 2nd bedroom has separate entrance from outside. $75 to $100 for entire cabin $50 to $75 for cabin minus 2nd bedroom.

2nd bedroom by itself maybe $25 to $35.

1 pull through dry campsite no power $20 to $30

2 pull in dry campsites no power $15 to $25

1 tiny house with sleeping loft no plumbing, power or heat $30 to $40

Last Edited:
I am in agreement with BBQ Guy that I wouldn't offer the 2nd bedroom in the cabin separate from renting the rest of the house. It would be a no go for me if someone else could rent the 2nd bedroom at the same time as my stay.

I am in agreement with BBQ Guy that I wouldn't offer the 2nd bedroom in the cabin separate from renting the rest of the house. It would be a no go for me if someone else could rent the 2nd bedroom at the same time as my stay.
What about the campsites, would that be a no go for cabin rental if campers are on the property as well?

What about the campsites, would that be a no go for cabin rental if campers are on the property as well?

I think that depends.
If it's 50 acres and it's spread out a bit, you're alright.
If it's a quarter acre and folks are going to be packed in like sardines. No way I'd do it.

I might just rent the cabin out to get a feel for the clientele first. Share your future plans and ideas with those folks to gauge interest.

Short term rental probably means your property will get abused. People don't care if they're not immediately financially responsible so for what you're asking, I'd almost say it isn't worth the possible headache

Check about a business lic. and increased insurance coverage.

Rrrrright......no need to point of the "dangers" of what you're planning to do.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....a can remember that time when we (on this forum) were talking about investing in a "rentable property." I injected my $0.02 about the dangers and I added that I had never tried it because I had seen the "problems."

I got a remark/response about not ever climbing Mt. Everest but giving advice about mountain climbing.

Rrrright......so, then COVID hit soon after.

I just hope, that the commentator and the guy (if he bought the rental property) are still in good shape with their investments. Yeah.....having a tenant not paying the rent (and cannot be evicted) can be a REAL drain on the finances.

Yeah, yeah......you're talking about a RENTAL on a per day basis......it's different.

So then......as for me?
i-know-nothing-nothing.jpg

Last Edited:
I'd check to see if there are any code requirements in your area for rentals, like smoke or CO alarms and such like. And like Mark said, insurance.

Check about a business lic. and increased insurance coverage.

Rrrrright......no need to point of the "dangers" of what you're planning to do.

Aloha, Mark
The short term rental liability insurance is going to cost me $562 a year. They won't offer any comprehensive insurance because of my distance from the nearest fire dept and no hydrants. Both Hipcamp and airbnb include some insurance coverage for both comprehensive and liability issues.

I think that depends.
If it's 50 acres and it's spread out a bit, you're alright.
If it's a quarter acre and folks are going to be packed in like sardines. No way I'd do it.

I might just rent the cabin out to get a feel for the clientele first. Share your future plans and ideas with those folks to gauge interest.
I might offer some dates where the entire property is exclusive use for cabin rental. Then I can compare demand for shared use of property vs exclusive use. It's 2.25 acres so guest are going to know that each other is there. I have spent many nights at Battleground Lake where they have small cabins right next to tent and trailer sites. Windy Cove loop B in Winchester Bay has about two dozen sites crammed in a less than two acre space. We stayed there the weekend before the 4th of July and it was pretty well filled up.

I think if you advertise the place in such a way that people know that there is a large cabin, a small cabin, and campsites available, and you take your pick, then it goes without saying that there could be others on the property. Perhaps you could include a site map in your ad so people can see the spacial relationships before they book.

The one problem I see is this. If you are in Wilsonville, and your rental property is in the Lakeview area (and I am just guessing because I think you made a previous post about the fire down there being near your cabin - but I could be misremembering) are you going to make the drive down there every time someone checks in or out to insure the condition of the property? That could turn out to be a hassle. Or do you have someone in the area who will manage the property for you?

I think if you advertise the place in such a way that people know that there is a large cabin, a small cabin, and campsites available, and you take your pick, then it goes without saying that there could be others on the property. Perhaps you could include a site map in your ad so people can see the spacial relationships before they book.

The one problem I see is this. If you are in Wilsonville, and your rental property is in the Lakeview area (and I am just guessing because I think you made a previous post about the fire down there being near your cabin - but I could be misremembering) are you going to make the drive down there every time someone checks in or out to insure the condition of the property? That could turn out to be a hassle. Or do you have someone in the area who will manage the property for you?
I am trying to automate the process so people can check themselves in and out. I have a neighbor who can help out in a emergency situation and make sure the guest have checked out when they were suppose to. I plan to host on site two weekends a month from April through October but the rest of the time it will be self serve. The property is closer to Sprauge River/Bonanza area. Lakeview is about an hour drive to the East.

I am trying to automate the process so people can check themselves in and out. I have a neighbor who can help out in a emergency situation and make sure the guest have checked out when they were suppose to. I plan to host on site two weekends a month from April through October but the rest of the time it will be self serve. The property is closer to Sprauge River/Bonanza area. Lakeview is about an hour drive to the East.
Sprague River is nice. I like that area.

Just playing devil's advocate here, is your neighbor going to clean up if inconsiderate, careless, or just plain azzhat guests leave a mess? I'd be really turned off if I showed up for a self check in and found a cabin or campsite trashed out by a previous guest.

It might also be interesting to know......

How do the local PD handle a "theft" (non-payment) and/or "trespassing"? Is it just a ticket or an arrest (and after how many "warnings")?

Aloha, Mark

You will likely have a hurdle finding someone to clean the cabin after your guests depart and before your next guests arrive. At the prices you are socializing I see no issue with renting the campsites and cabin at the same time.

Just playing devil's advocate here, is your neighbor going to clean up if inconsiderate, careless, or just plain azzhat guests leave a mess? I'd be really turned off if I showed up for a self check in and found a cabin or campsite trashed out by a previous guest.
No I asked my neighbor if she was interested in doing some cleaning work and she was not interested. That situation is likely to happen at some point but hopefully not often. I am going to run the place like the Forest Service runs their cabins. It's a pack it in, pack it out situation. The Forest Service does not clean their remote cabins, lookout towers, guard stations, etc in between guest. Hopefully the vast majority of guest will be respectful of that. I will make it clear in the listing description that is how it will work and potential guest will have to take the risk that an azzhat might have stayed previously. If I were to get a call at check in and the guest were unhappy with the cleanliness of the cabin for example, I would offer a discount if they wanted to clean it to their satisfaction or offer to help them find another place to stay. I will have cleaning supplies available.

It might also be interesting to know......

How do the local PD handle a "theft" (non-payment) and/or "trespassing"? Is it just a ticket or an arrest (and after how many "warnings")?

Aloha, Mark
My place has been broken into a couple of times previously and my experience has been that the KCSO won't show up for theft. My solution has been to not leave anything that I can't live without. Guest should not expect to find any nice stuff at my place:)

I love it down there. My place is up at 5200ft of elevation and surrounded by a lot of mature Ponderosa Pines with Incense Cedars, White Fir, Juniper and Aspens mixed in. No shortage of trees up there. The forest is very easy to hike through and the Fremont-Winema forest is a 200ft walk from your tent. There is a road to enter the forest about 1/4 mile down my street and lots of roads to explore back there.

You will likely have a hurdle finding someone to clean the cabin after your guests depart and before your next guests arrive. At the prices you are socializing I see no issue with renting the campsites and cabin at the same time.
Agreed the sites and cabin will pretty well have to be selve serve as far cleaning between guest go. I am hoping most guest will clean up after themselves.

Here is one example of FS self serve cabin rental.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top