JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My brother in law shot himself in the leg. When he asked if I heard about it I said yeah and don't give me any of that BS about 'cleaning' it….just tell me straight up how stupid you really are…lol, so he told me how stupid he really are.

Well then don't lower yourself to your PERCEIVED 'expectations' of others.

Always take the 'high road', raise the 'bar' and be cognizant of what you post and how it might be interpreted.
I hear what you are saying, it's just that it doesn't work out all the time. Taking the high road as you state has gotten me trampled too many times in life. I will not change who I am or how I talk just to appease a small number of people on the net. Life is too short to try and chase an unobtainable goal. If you chase trying to please one person, then the next will step up to and need their pleasing. I'm not arguing that I'm not the nicest person around, I just don't think I need to change who I am for anyone. Some find me offensive or abrasive, some can actually understand where I'm coming from. Takes all kinds to make this place work. As I stated earlier, I will not change me to please you, if that doesn't work, no skin off my back.

Can't say I enjoy being called a "thing with opposite sex organs."

The real issue is subtler than one might think. This is language not normally used in mixed company. But its funny. And as semi contemptuous towards OP himself and his undiscriminating tastes as toward women. But by using this language here, OP appears to be saying that he thinks there are no women here, or no women should be here, or whatever women who are here don't matter. (All of which I doubt he meant or believes.) That is, he seems to be declaring NWFA as being an all male turf, sorta like a men's locker room, where any women present are interlopers who don't belong and who should get out at once. Its easy to make this sort of mistake without being particularly sexist. Both men and women have cheerfully irreverent semicontemptuous ways of referring to the other sex when in single sex groups. No harm done. But the fact that NWFA is mixed gender space is not always obvious. Many women in NWFA have non-gender-obvious handles. And in a thread we tend to think we're interacting with the few who have participated already, not the potentially hundreds who may join in later or the entire rest of NWFA. So NWFA ends up with regular remarks that are perceived by women as implying that women don't belong here. Most undoubtedly by guys who don't believe that at all.

Then if a woman objects she is called a snowflake. But actually what she is objecting to, without even realizing it sometimes, is not being called just a thing ridden etc, but being told that she doesn't belong in NWFA. I enjoyed the joke but felt sorta p!ssed at being excluded from NWFA simultaneously.
I refer to them as delightfully interlocking, the whole idea behind Legos. I tend to like a lady riding like a true cowgirl, spurs optional ;)

Can't say I enjoy being called a "thing with opposite sex organs."

The real issue is subtler than one might think. This is language not normally used in mixed company. But its funny. And as semi contemptuous towards OP himself and his undiscriminating tastes as toward women. But by using this language here, OP appears to be saying that he thinks there are no women here, or no women should be here, or whatever women who are here don't matter. (All of which I doubt he meant or believes.) That is, he seems to be declaring NWFA as being an all male turf, sorta like a men's locker room, where any women present are interlopers who don't belong and who should get out at once. Its easy to make this sort of mistake without being particularly sexist. Both men and women have cheerfully irreverent semicontemptuous ways of referring to the other sex when in single sex groups. No harm done. But the fact that NWFA is mixed gender space is not always obvious. Many women in NWFA have non-gender-obvious handles. And in a thread we tend to think we're interacting with the few who have participated already, not the potentially hundreds who may join in later or the entire rest of NWFA. So NWFA ends up with regular remarks that are perceived by women as implying that women don't belong here. Most undoubtedly by guys who don't believe that at all.

Then if a woman objects she is called a snowflake. But actually what she is objecting to, without even realizing it sometimes, is not being called just a thing ridden etc, but being told that she doesn't belong in NWFA. I enjoyed the joke but felt sorta p!ssed at being excluded from NWFA simultaneously.
I'm kind of split between two perspectives here. First, I agree that this forum is rather male-centric, and surely I'm as much guilty as anyone else in that regard. Can't say I'm always the best at showing respect for the opposite sex, either, despite loving my wife, my daughter, my sister, etc. On the other hand, as a guy I'm not too interested in filtering my thoughts and expressions in order to please the rest of the world, or even the female half of it. On balance, I think communication is better served through direct talk then indirect allusions. Yet there have to be some filters, yes? Like anyone else, male or female, I appreciate courtesy and respect from others, even when engaging in a passionate and pointed conversation with opposing viewpoints. So it is incumbent upon me to extend those same levels of courtesy and respect, regardless whether interacting with people personally or online. That should be the norm, not the exception, and goes back to the golden rule: treat others as you would like to be treated.

Yep, I've warned some younger people about that kind of thing being possible. No one got hurt but within feet of ending them. Some humans just don't think too far ahead of what "could" happen.
That's why my dog is stuffed with that stuff and sits patiently next to the door.

Got to remember that some of these countries have an average IQ in the low 90's. Some are even lower.
That doesn't mean quite what it may seem. IQ tests have become more and more focused on abstract reasoning in recent decades. That's very important in doing well in school these days. Or being in the STEM fields. But it isn't all that necessary in ordinary living, including self defense. people from cultures that don't emphasize abstract reasoning do poorly on modern IQ tests. Largely agricultural societies provide little exposure to abstract reasoning. Yet they use tools just fine, including guns.

Often differences in scores of modern immigrants to US are inaccurate because of language problems. The Ashkenazi Jewish immigrants were initially said to be way lower in IQ than US residents. But they actually scored better on the abstract parts of the exam that didn't involve any words. Instead they were screwing up on the part of the exam that required choosing which word was an antonym to some other word because they didn't know what an antonym was. By a generation or two later Ashkenazi Jews were thought to have up to 20 points higher average IQ than other americans. Virtually every group of immigrants was subjected to I Q tests and deemed inferior to the residents. But their kids , who have learned English, arent.

Studies of twins separated at birth and raised in different environments are often used to argue that IQ is mostly genetic because the twins turned out so similar in IQ. However, these studies were flawed. Sometimes kids were with the birth mother for a while before being placed. Worse yet, the adoption agency made every effort to place the adopted twin with a family as much like the original family as possible in race, religion, economic class and even neighborhood. And relatives frequently adopted. So sometimes, for example, a black kid supposedly separated at birth and sent to a different environment was actually adopted by a black family relative and lived down the street in the same neighborhood and went to the same school. And grew up playing with his twin.

The Flynn Effect is the phenomenon that IQs have been rising year by year. They are equalibrated to average IQ= 100 for any time and place. But I saw it said that by modern standards if Americans in the generation of the Revolutionary War took a modern IQ test they would average an IQ of 70. Some of that was probably nutritional problems. Much of it would have been lack of education including widespread illiteracy. Much would have been that even if you went to school there was little focus on abstract reasoning then.

Most geneticists consider IQ comparisons within cultures meaningful but comparisons between cultures not so much. I Q basically measures your mental ability to master and use the information that matters in the culture to which you have been exposed-- the same culture as those who made up the test, decided how much emphasis to put on abstract rather than ordinary knowledge, made up the questions, etc.

Personally I do NOT see the appeal of shooting Tannerite or anything 'explosive'.

Actually It isn't really 'Shooting' in the formal sense of the word. It's more a case of 'setting off an explosive device' - and using a bullet as the 'detonator'.

It also didn't help when those idiotic shows like Sons of guns and Wild West guns had shooting scenes with explosives to impress some viewers but all it did was to denigrate sport shooting in its traditional sense, and possibly influence some to do the same, but with very bad results......

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads