JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As for as not hiring people for certain reasons, I did read a story before the last election where a certain employer, when forced to downsize, chose to lay off the employees with 0bama stickers on their cars before anyone else.

awesome, should be Illary stickers now

No one is ever going to tell you that you were not hired because of gun ownership, political beliefs, tattoos, or anything like it. You were not hired because we had two equally qualified candidates, and the other one was chosen. You were not hired because it was felt you wouldn't fit well on our team. You were not hired because you were not the best candidate.

That's all they need to tell you.

Thing about gun ownership is, although it is a constitutionally protected right, for the most part not considered a natural right.

You have the natural right to defend yourself, however many have made good argument that that may not be with a gun. You chose to use a gun.

You have many natural rights. Like not being treated poorly for your birth color/sex/age/or other physical feature. If you have a choice, it likely is not natural.

Somehow sexual preference got put into the "natural right" category. Which I am finding hard to believe. I figure if this one can be put into the mix, why can't gun ownership be thrown in. You choose to be gay, we choose to own guns.

Same laws should apply...

You are mistaken about that.
Genetic distribution ~3%

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...he-u-s-population-is-gay-lesbian-or-bisexual/

Washington I know is an at-will state.. so they could fire you and not say why they've terminated your job. I think being a minority and a woman that I actually have an advantage. People stereotype. So it has made some things easier for me.

However, if you can show a pattern or reasonable evidence they let you go for a discriminatory reason, then you (or the government) may have legal recourse against them.

E.G., let's say that an employer did have a valid reason to let ten of their fifty employees go - they didn't have the work to keep them employed or their particular project was shut down. Seems okay right? But if they had employees ranging in age from 20 to 55 and they only laid off employees above the age of 40, then that is evidence of discrimination - and this is why some employers will give a list of the ages of those laid off to the laid off employers to show they did not discriminate this way.

Ditto with gender or ethnicity; say they only laid off women, or they only laid off those with a particular ethnic background, or only gays, or only jews or muslims. That would be evidence of discrimination.

They don't have to say a word - their actions speak for themselves.

Dunehopper;
Again the Constitution only applies to government activities. It has nothing to do with personal or business interactions. The First Amendment is NOT what protects you from being fired for your religion, it's what protects you from the government telling you what religion you can have or not have.
I have no way of denying you your First Amendment rights, or any other for that matter. I can burn down your church, but that is arson and destruction of property, not denying your RIGHT to your religion. I can keep you from going to church, but that is kidnapping or intimidation or unlawful detainment, but not infringing on your RIGHT to your religion. Infringing on rights is solely the ability of government.
"Protected Classes" are strictly bureaucratically imposed restrictions.

Good responses people.
I guess the questions bares asking further why a protected class even exists then?
If its not to protect Constitutional Rights but personal rights why is the government picking and choosing at will what is a protective class and what possible guidelines are used if not based on some evidence of law.

No one is ever going to tell you that you were not hired because of gun ownership, political beliefs, tattoos, or anything like it. You were not hired because we had two equally qualified candidates, and the other one was chosen. You were not hired because it was felt you wouldn't fit well on our team. You were not hired because you were not the best candidate.
That's all they need to tell you.

Actually was I not only denied employment it was based my activity defending my 2nd Amendment right being I listed it as part of what I do as community activity they pointed out they it as something they did not want. My activity here promotes gun ownership. I did not open with that in the question because I wanted non-biased responses. Also in a previous non-religious place I worked the managers not only pushed their religion they forced it upon many of the employees forcing them to engage in services that were of the managers personal desires.
It happens out there folks and not the NAACP, or Salem gave a crap when I tried to report it they said it was their right as employers. Thanks again everyone I got my answers.
I need to go get OHP and go get a gender change and go reapply as apparently defending one rights is offensive and I have no personal rights to them in my own personal life but I can change gender and get them automatically hmmmm!
I feel very solid that gun ownership is equal to race, color, gender etc. To some it may seem silly but no more then people who give more rights to dogs and cats then gun owners now tell whats wrong with that picture ? It would be equal to an employer saying sorry you have a Rottweiler were not going to hire you as both pets and guns in the eyes of the law are owned objects.
This is not to offend those with gender identity issues, or other religious issues.
I am addressing the lack of equality to gun owners by the USA.

what possible guidelines are used if not based on some evidence of law.

If your not a white male then your protected - pretty simple unfortunately...

I am addressing the lack of equality to gun owners by the USA.

Terrorist attacks are down and they need someone to be the devil - right now it's good guy's with guns.

Keep the fear high and the populous focuses on that and not the horrible job the higher ups are doing.

@DuneHopper, I feel your pain and I agree that we shouldn't have to hide our hobbies.

On the flip side, would you want to work a job where literally everyone but you hates/fears guns (which probably puts them on the other side of the fence on a lot of other issues).

Not personally, but I can see someone not getting hired just by making a simple remark like, "In the fall it would be nice to be able to take a little vacation time to go out hunting".

If the company is 100% vegans then your basically thier nemesis and it would be a hostile work environment to hire you on.

Just food for thought, I do agree they shouldn't be allowed to do what they did but thems the cards we have in our hand right now.

If your not a white male then your protected - pretty simple unfortunately...

Terrorist attacks are down and they need someone to be the devil - right now it's good guy's with guns.

Keep the fear high and the populous focuses on that and not the horrible job the higher ups are doing.

@DuneHopper, I feel your pain and I agree that we shouldn't have to hide our hobbies.

On the flip side, would you want to work a job where literally everyone but you hates/fears guns (which probably puts them on the other side of the fence on a lot of other issues).

Not personally, but I can see someone not getting hired just by making a simple remark like, "In the fall it would be nice to be able to take a little vacation time to go out hunting".

If the company is 100% vegans then your basically thier nemesis and it would be a hostile work environment to hire you on.

Just food for thought, I do agree they shouldn't be allowed to do what they did but thems the cards we have in our hand right now.

@Joe13 All very valid points Joe, thanks for that perspective appreciate it.
You are right I would not want to work anywhere that where everyone but me was sane :)

racism? try going to an indian res. and
JedB :
I should add that a gun ownership is a Constitutional right not just and enthusiast position.
I appreciate everyones response but seems either I was not specific enough in my question or I am crazy :).

Freedom of Religion is Constitutional meaning a person can not deny me hire or dismiss me based on my religion. it not optional they would get sued.

Yet, it of to deny me employment or fire me if I own a firearm and enjoy that right ?

I was hoping others would get the irony and legalisms of this if the bases is I can not legally be dismissed exercising my First Amendment, why would it be legal to dismiss or deny hiring if I exercise my 2nd Amendment right ?

That is not what the 1st amendment means. Freedom of religion means you may practice any religion and there will not be ONE GOVERNMENT SANCTIONED religion.

Nothing else.

A side note; the 1st amendment does not forbid God / Creator from being part of government either. It simply says you're free to worship however you like. All these interpretation that say you have to take God out of anything 'public' is simply asinine.

racism? try going to an indian res. and

That is not what the 1st amendment means. Freedom of religion means you may practice any religion and there will not be ONE GOVERNMENT SANCTIONED religion.

Nothing else.

A side note; the 1st amendment does not forbid God / Creator from being part of government either. It simply says you're free to worship however you like. All these interpretation that say you have to take God out of anything 'public' is simply asinine.

So need to open a Church for gun owners :)
Hmmm thinking......

Don't know about the church for gun owners, I can see a Great Schism developing pretty fast, between the Semi-Auto and Revolver devotees. You'll also need separate Masses for Glock owners, Colt, and Kimber, that kind of thing. Then you'll divide into caliber cults, the .45ACP or the 9mm followers. The .308 and .223 devotionals could turn to sectarian violence in a heartbeat. Better think it through, is all I'm saying.....:D

I'm not against gays or anything like that. So if my post was offensive I apologize. What people do in the confines of their own home is their own business.

However, until homosexuality is 100% proven scientific fact that it is genetic. I'm going to call it a choice. Natural order of life on this planet is to procreate. To not choose this, or not do this, is a choice.

So in my opinion, I see the fight for gay rights as a natural right, as a foot in the door for gun ownership rights. Since we choose to own guns and it affects how society looks at us. That is, again in my opinion, the same discrimination that the same society places on those that are homosexual.

Though completely different in many ways. Both groups are discriminated against for similar reasons.

If we took notes from their book, maybe we could utilize the discrimination laws put in place for our own good?

@Reno911
I was not offended by your post, but rather see us as having differing viewpoints on it. While I understand your explanation, I believe that being homosexual *is* genetic and not a choice.

Rather than getting further into a sidebar conversation about it in Dune Hopper's thread, I think we can agree to disagree, no offense taken on my side, and hopefully none on yours.

@Reno911
I was not offended by your post, but rather see us as having differing viewpoints on it. While I understand your explanation, I believe that being homosexual *is* genetic and not a choice.

Rather than getting further into a sidebar conversation about it in Dune Hopper's thread, I think we can agree to disagree, no offense taken on my side, and hopefully none on yours.
None at all.

I feel that there are lots of "choice" based discriminations out there that we can take example from. Another one is religion. It's a choice, yet plenty of law exists to discourage discrimination. Gun ownership being a choice could take those battles to help ours.

Hmmm thinking......

I actually posted this suggestion on my FB page after the young Sikh student was allowed to carry a dagger to school. My proposal was to create a religion and open 'The Church Of The Second Amendment' and make it mandatory for all attendees to carry a firearm at all times.

The Church of The Flying Spaghetti Monster is a recognized religion in the US and other countries. Believers in many states have been allowed to wear a colander on their head when they have their driver's license photo taken. NJ refused to allow it but they're also the idiots who filed charges against a guy who had an inoperable antique black powder pistol in his trunk. Due to very negative publicity they dropped it but not before the guy had to pay for an attorney, etc.

With zero tolerance of finger guns, etc I think it's time to fight the idiots using their rules.

Side note - My 14 y.o. grandson lives in Sacramento. With all of the 'no kick-ball, no chasing' BS when he has about eight I asked him what they did at recess. His answer - "We just stand around for a while & then go back inside." So much for Frau Obama's "Get up & move" anti child obesity program.

Actually was I not only denied employment it was based my activity defending my 2nd Amendment right being I listed it as part of what I do as community activity they pointed out they it as something they did not want. ....

I'm sorry. That sucks.

Hmmm thinking......
You're gonna love the tax benefits. Your church will have to be 1Km or longer, tho, with little side-wings for the kids and pistols. I'd tithe....

Last interview I was on I said to the team interviewing me, "I will be open and candid about everything, because if I don't tell you something to make myself look better, it will still come out in time as we work together." I openly talked about my gun hobby and shooting, and a hundred other topics. They told me that they didn't like some of the things I said, and that their answer wasn't "no" but they were going to see if there were other candidates who were a better fit.
In the end, I'm sure we will all be happier.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top