JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hmm so say an EMP was set off looks like Portawell requires a battery you are potentially screwed.

Why not go for a Berkey water filter system instead? You need to have clean water to prime the filters and if you don't have a tap to prime the you need to soak them to prime them.

https://www.berkeyfilters.com/

Every vehicle has a Sawyer Squeeze and I keep a Big Berkey stuffed with black filters at home. I also have four Polar Pure's and a 330 gallon IBC tote. I've also identified water sources within walking distance. After our next/final relocation I will expand the totes to a total of seven. Each year one will be emptied to water the garden and then refilled with city or treated water. This will ensure having a minimum of 2,000 gallons of potable water on hand and that each is refilled well within the ten years that city or treated water remains potable.

The PortaWell is limited by available filters, I don't know if any go down to the extent needed to make water potable without other treatment or how well it would work gravity fed. Also, can any of those filters be cleaned or reconditioned for reuse? Sustainability is a big factor if you are talking about the need for extended use.

The ceramic filters used by the Berkey system have been relied upon by the military and peace corps among others for years. You can even take two 5 gallon buckets w/ lids and easily fabricate a gravity system in a pinch using those filters. The filters can also be cleaned and reused, the black ones filter down to the virus sized level.

The Sawyer filters can be cleaned by backflushing so are reusable a great many times.

Depending on your local source of water, you may want to contruct some sort of pre-filter treatment using sand, gravel, and charcoal.

EDIT: PolarPure uses a supersaturated iodine solution to treat water. Has a taste, but doable, and my experience of several weeks on the trail in the Himalaya where everything has literally been covered in animal droppings is that it works very effectively as I didn't get sick once. It also a useful source of iodine if the reason for SHTF involves nuclear fallout.

Last Edited:
Hmm so say an EMP was set off looks like Portawell requires a battery you are potentially screwed.

Why not go for a Berkey water filter system instead? You need to have clean water to prime the filters and if you don't have a tap to prime the you need to soak them to prime them.

https://www.berkeyfilters.com/
Safecastle (safecastle.com) frequently has excellent sales on Berkey products as well as others. It is a membership site, but they periodically offer free memberships on survivalmonkey.com.

I carry a few life straws and have a nalgene 32oz wide mouth bottle. I also have 6 sealed packets of water. Also have emergency blanket, flashlight with extra batteries.

Good thing it never rains or anything like that in the PNW!

My preps are more forwards water treatment rather than storage. We have natural sources of H2O, so long as no nuke gets dropped.

Good thing it never rains or anything like that in the PNW!

My preps are more forwards water treatment rather than storage. We have natural sources of H2O, so long as no nuke gets dropped.
For most of us it depends on how you are getting the water. During SHTF you can only depend on city water for so long based on the circumstances. If power fails, once the storage tanks are empty you are done, A cascadia type event could additionally disrupt the network of pipes as well.

Even if you have your own well, what are you using to pump the water? How secure is the power to that pump and do you have alternatives, such as solar to provide that power? Even if from a river, how do you plan to transport it?

Rule of 3's - Three days without water is likely unsurvivable. It's more critical than food.

For most of us it depends on how you are getting the water. During SHTF you can only depend on city water for so long based on the circumstances. If power fails, once the storage tanks are empty you are done, A cascadia type event could additionally disrupt the network of pipes as well.

Even if you have your own well, what are you using to pump the water? How secure is the power to that pump and do you have alternatives, such as solar to provide that power? Even if from a river, how do you plan to transport it?

Rule of 3's - Three days without water is likely unsurvivable. It's more critical than food.
True, if you only have access to water via the tap or electronics, you might be in bigger trouble if something happens. Might want to look at rain collection and storage as part of your prep. If you have a well, it may be good to look at manual pumps.

Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 10.18.23 AM.png

For wells, you only need to power the pump occasionally - maybe an hour or so per day - during which you do all your washing (showers, clothes and dishes), etc., recharge the pressure tank and hot water heater. You can also use that hour or two to recharge refrigerators/freezers, phones, a battery bank, UPS and so on.

Most wells have pressure tanks that have an accumulator diaphragm that holds pressure. When my power goes out, I have been able to use water from the tap for drinking, hand washing and a really quick "sea shower" (with hot water) for several days.

You do have to be careful about not having a leaking faucet or running toilet anywhere as it will drain the pressure tank over time - I had that problem once; outside faucet by the shop was leaking a bit and the water pressure was lost overnight during a power outage.

I have seen more than one house with a large backup water tank - one up the road from me has two tanks - and the tanks should have enough elevation;. Rule of thumb; 10' of elevation will give you 4 PSI. You need about 40 PSI to run some appliances - e.g., latest clothes washing machines require 40 PSI of water pressure or they will refuse to run due to low pressure. Having a battery powered (solar and/or 120V recharged) 12V booster pump on the tank or at the house input, may be necessary for some setups - not everybody has the ability to get 100' of elevation on a backup water tank.

True, if you only have access to water via the tap or electronics, you might be in bigger trouble if something happens. Might want to look at rain collection and storage as part of your prep. If you have a well, it may be good to look at manual pumps.
Most rain collection systems (like roof & gutter) introduce contaminants like bird poop that can be quite dangerous. It's not just the particulate but diseases and things that can't be filtered. Water crops and keep toilet tanks flushing - OK. As potable water avoid unless you have a way to purify. Common filtration is likely not enough.

Most rain collection systems (like roof & gutter) introduce contaminants like bird poop that can be quite dangerous. It's not just the particulate but diseases and things that can't be filtered. Water crops and keep toilet tanks flushing - OK. As potable water avoid unless you have a way to purify. Common filtration is likely not enough.
You mean viruses? That's where water treatment comes in. Pretty sure it's the same regardless of where you got your water, boiling and or treating is likely a must to ensure it's safe. Post filtering.

You mean viruses? That's where water treatment comes in. Pretty sure it's the same regardless of where you got your water, boiling and or treating is likely a must to ensure it's safe. Post filtering.
Just making sure that folks new to the subject know what they have and the potential unintended consequences. I recall an earlier thread on this subject where one of the participants mentioned a friend that almost died from drinking rain water contaminated by bird droppings. Getting sick when there are medical resources is one thing, getting sick during SHTF can be fatal.

Just making sure that folks new to the subject know what they have and the potential unintended consequences. I recall an earlier thread on this subject where one of the participants mentioned a friend that almost died from drinking rain water contaminated by bird droppings. Getting sick when there are medical resources is one thing, getting sick during SHTF can be fatal.
I'd be pretty shocked if I saw someone drink untreated water, then again I don't tend to those that have almost zero common sense.

In some sense people should hopefully understand what goes into treating the water that comes out of your tap. Spoiler, it likely contained more than just bird poop before heading back to your home!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top