JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good info.
I own several filters and several types for different application. Lifestraw is in the pack when I think I shouldn't need any at all but if I had to and there's not enough water depth to fill a bottle it would work. I Have never actually used it. Probably should try at home so I know what to expect.

Just used my Mini Sawyer for first time for 3 days on a trip this week. Have to squeeze bottle to force it past the filter so it's hard on containers. Lots of PCT people using them though. I could see some critters in the clear plastic bottle looking out at me while drinking and this was in a Very pure water source.. I also carried a UV ight type filter as backup on my trip since I had not trialed it.

I have two MSR pump filters and a Sawyer Point Zero gravity filter for 5 gallon or more at a time NIB for end of days..

Great article!

I have both sizes that The Grayl offers with their GeoPress filters and have used them for a couple of years now and they've been great. They are heavier then some options on the market but they a rugged and filter very quickly.

Katadyn since 2010. I'm on my 2nd unit, currently on its 3rd filter.
I disassemble and dry it out after each trip. Have replaced the hoses once on this one.
Have used it to pull water from spots that I would never consider drinking, and was even hesitant with a filter. But, having suffered heat stroke before with insufficient water, I'll drink the crap water.
Once was a brown algae, stagnant pond with kewl newts that would crawl into your hand, and another trickle out of a rock that was black at the one place where I could immerse my intake screen. Have used it below snow fields that were heavy with the pink algae.
My only complaint about the unit is the intake screen floats, so I have to weight it down with a rock in running streams and lakes.
Considering I used to carry my water in, or boil snow or water, this is so much better.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top