JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It will likely be anarchy within a week. This won't be like a hurricane where many can prepare or leave - there will be no advance notice.

No running water will result in "sporty" times.

I did a lot reading on a Cascadia event and wrote up a book review here. It was interesting to see the estimates of how long essential services (water, electricity, fuel, finance, etc.) would be out. Depending on the severity and the location, it could be many months before some things, like electricity, would be restored.

So, I am not surprised by the Seattle estimate. Being without water for that long would result in pandemonium and rampant disease.

Indeed, there is a reason why we work on preparations each and every day.

Water is one of the easy things to obtain depending on time of year and a good filter goes a really long way in that department. A generator also goes a long way to fix the electric problem. Fuel is one of the harder things to store and stay up on. It goes bad and will be very hard to source when the turd hits the fan.

Last Edited:
Water is one of the easy things to obtain depending on time of year and a good filter goes a really long way in that department. A generator also goes a long way to fix the electric problem. Fuel is one of the harder things to store and stay up on. It goes bad and will be very hard to source when the turf hits the fan.

We've been happy with the Big Berkey filters. In the generator department, we've had really good results with a Generac, fed by a propane tank. A portable, gasoline-powered Powermate has worked so-so. "Good enough", I guess, but if I was ever to replace it, I'd go with a Honda.

Portland has been actively preparing and trying to get it's citizens involved to prepare as well through the "net program. NET stands for Neighborhood Emergency Preparation. They're doing a fantastic job, hindered by the populaces usual general lethargy of course. Portland has about a million folks in it, and only 2800 have stepped up and finished this training. They will be the neighbors coordinating relief efforts etc etc when it hits. It can, and should be, you (and me) too. Although it is never "enough", if a big chunk of us are over prepared, it will make life better for everybody.

More here: Neighborhood Emergency Teams | PREP - Neighbor by Neighbor, Block by Block and How do I become a NET member? | The City of Portland, Oregon
https://www.portlandoregon.gov/pbem/58587

You might want to take a look at AK right now.:(
Alaska is a great example of what can go RIGHT with a major problem like a quake. Most people up there are used to being if not entirely self-reliant, at least aware of the problems that can come thick and fast with a utility being down compounded with unforgiving environment. No wonder it's a bastion of 2A support and prepared people. 7.0 earthquake and no deaths yet reported. Suck it, Cali!

Once everyone starts using the ground and rivers as their latrine post-disaster, you're gonna need a water purifier, tablets, or enough fuel to boil it in order to make water safe; filters are NOT effective on viruses! Also, make sure your water heater is strapped to the studs in your wall top and bottom, and isolate it from the source as soon as possible post-quake. That will provide you with at least 50 gallons (mine is 80). These are in addition to the stored water that I know you all have already...

My biggest concern as a city dweller is how to stay warm this time of year without power or natural gas. These are much more difficult to manage than water.

Not an OPB fan, but lots of info here. Be sure to check out the item part way down where you put in your zip code and an estimate is provided regarding how long it will take to restore utilities and public services in your area. It is EYE OPENING!

Last Edited:
Awhile back the former Josephine County SW Oregon USA emergency services and EMS boss, (good guy white hat) told us at some meeting that after the Cascadian Mega Thrust Subduction Zone 9+ earthquake occurred expect to be SIX MONTHS before commercial electricity is repaired.

Just power. Not roads. Not fuel. Not water. Not even burial squads.

All available emergency services and repair potential, (what little there is) will be employed in the NW densely populated areas of Oregon FIRST. The right wing conservative SW Oregon regions would be LAST in line for pretty much everything. Everything. He was very angry at the system. Rightfully so.

Now that big, (1000 gal plus) MULTIPLE direct burial expensive propane tanks are available, along with advanced excellent off grid power supplies, making your home castle power grid free for ONE YEAR is doable.

Power company electric until it fails. Wood stove primary emergency heating. Propane back up. Solar tertiary. Propane powered everything. Be very nice to have multiple ways of carrying on during/after the SHTF.

...My biggest concern as a city dweller is how to stay warm this time of year without power or natural gas. These are much more difficult to manage than water...

Wood, if possible. Propane if not. Mr Buddy heaters are really nice. Hook them up to a 20 or 30lb tank & leave the tank outside. Can use the 1lb tanks inside, but they are pricey and do not run very long.

Going on 2 weeks now with our "big buddy" hooked up to a 30lb tank after topping it off, used as supplemental heat inside (~1,400 sq ft). Would be fine if it was primary, just would close off parts of the house is all.

Slow fans really help move the heat, so have multiple battery powered avail if needs be.

Mr Buddy heaters are really nice. Hook them up to a 20 or 30lb tank & leave the tank outside. Can use the 1lb tanks inside, but they are pricey and do not run very long.

Going on 2 weeks now with our "big buddy" hooked up to a 30lb tank after topping it off, used as supplemental heat inside (~1,400 sq ft). Would be fine if it was primary, just would close off parts of the house is all.

This is my plan exactly. I have one Buddy and one Big Buddy (2 is 1, 1 is none rule) with the requisite hoses for bulk tank use. I plan to "wall" off the upstairs family room entrance with blankets as well as hang blankets over the windows and just heat that one room with the bulk cylinder sitting on the other side in the adjacent laundry room. (6) 20lb. cylinders on hand plus (2) 40s in use by the gas fireplace insert that I converted from NG to LP just in case...

It isn't ideal, but at least I have a plan. A friend of mine lives 4 streets over just outside the city limits and has a wood-burning fireplace. That is plan "B", at least for the family while the dog and I stay back and guard our place.

Last Edited:
While I don't work for a utility I do work in the power construction trade. If a big one hits and we lose lots of water services or gas imo it would take forever to get them back. Power on the other hand is mostly above ground and to be honest lineman chase the storm money as much as anything. I would think power would be one of the first to be back online for the majority.

I would think power would be one of the first to be back online for the majority.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, and have drawn the same conclusion for the same reasons, but portions of the grid may be isolated for a while with reduced capacity depending on whether power is coming from a small, local hydro plant, Bonneville, or ??? Regardless, power will likely be restored much sooner than anything that travels through an underground pipe including the sanitary sewer system. I have a plan for that, too! ;)

In a power outage, they work on the larger grid that serves the most first.
I am in the suburbs in Tigard/Beaverton and during the last big outage around 10 years ago, everyone around our neighborhood had power back quickly and we were out for 3 days. I leaned that my house is on a grid that only serves 157 houses. We were last on their list to work on for that reason.
It does make sense to get the high density neighborhoods back up quickly before the gang bangers start looting.

Wood, if possible. Propane if not.

Agreed with this. We have a heat pump for electrical heat, but we run a wood-stove in the winter for primary heat. It is most efficient at keeping the home warm and the family likes it. A backup generator fed by propane is in place to supply power when it goes out.

That said, I don't know how easy it is to obtain wood in the city. Here, I just go up the hill, fell the tree, buck it, and split it. It just takes time, sweat, and a little gasoline. The last time I was up there, I was reminded of the words of the second century BC philosopher Yeshua ben Sira: "Do not hate hard labor or farm work, which was created by the Most High." Then I laughed to myself and said "how would you know, you were a philosopher". :s0114:

Sorry for the digression. Best of wishes friends. :)

Country Gent, you left out the part where you let it season for one summer before you burn it! Actually, 3 months of summer weather will season it enough. :D

PS: You can burn Ash unseasoned!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads