JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
No where in 1638 do I see that Washington can't buy semi-autos out of state. I keep hearing you can't and can depending on the person you ask. I know Idaho won't sell to Washington or ones I have talked to. But everything in 1639 I have read states no inner state commerce to non Washington residents. Can anyone clarify on this issue with real information not options?

As I understand it, you can as long as it is shipped to an FFL in Washington. The FFL is then responsible to verify your "training", and conduct ANOTHER BGC. :confused:

At present that is correct. But you still have the 10 day wait.
I'm talking about if I'm in Arizona or say Nevada and want to buy a gun. When doing the NICS they just identify it as long gun rifle or pistol. I haven't found anywhere in 1639 where it says I can't purchase in another state. 1639 says that local FFLs can't sell to out of state residents. But dosent say that Washington states when out of state can't purchase semi autos and return home with them?

Technically (per the ATF) the "other" state FFL is supposed to make sure that the purchase complies with the laws of the state where you reside. It is up to the FFL to know what those requirements are I suppose, and to do due diligence.

That said, I doubt most FFLs in AZ or NV know much about WA state purchasing requirements/etc.

So yes, you can purchase long guns in a state where you do not reside as long as that state has no laws against that purchase. Whether the FFL does their due diligence? :s0092:

I'm talking about if I'm in Arizona or say Nevada and want to buy a gun. When doing the NICS they just identify it as long gun rifle or pistol. I haven't found anywhere in 1639 where it says I can't purchase in another state. 1639 says that local FFLs can't sell to out of state residents. But dosent say that Washington states when out of state can't purchase semi autos and return home with them?

I have been through it already. You will still have a 10 day wait to take it home. Any transfer through a FFL is still subject to 1639 and the 10 day wait.

You won't find it in I-1639....it's federal law. If you, as a Washington state resident, want to buy a handgun in another state, it is up to the seller
to ship it to an FFL in your home state. You are not allowed to take possession of it and return home with it. Has nothing to do with semi-autos, either.

You won't find it in I-1639....it's federal law. If you, as a Washington state resident, want to buy a handgun in another state, it is up to the seller
to ship it to an FFL in your home state. You are not allowed to take possession of it and return home with it. Has nothing to do with semi-autos, either.
I never said hand gun 1639 applies to semi auto rifles

No where in 1638 do I see that Washington can't buy semi-autos out of state. I keep hearing you can't and can depending on the person you ask. I know Idaho won't sell to Washington or ones I have talked to. But everything in 1639 I have read states no inner state commerce to non Washington residents. Can anyone clarify on this issue with real information not options?
there is an RCW that specifically allows a WA resident to purchase a long arm including semi automatic from a FFL in another state as long as they are not a prohibited person just as you always could. I don't recall the RCW number but it's not hard to look up under RCW on the WA gov website. Any out of state FFL that won't do the sale is to lazy to look up the laws and doesn't want your business. The transaction has to be completely outside of WA.

there is an RCW that specifically allows a WA resident to purchase a long arm including semi automatic from a FFL in another state as long as they are not a prohibited person just as you always could. I don't recall the RCW number but it's not hard to look up under RCW on the WA gov website. Any out of state FFL that won't do the sale is to lazy to look up the laws and doesn't want your business. The transaction has to be completely outside of WA.

But in order to cross state lines it has to go to an FFL in Washington. An FFL in another state can not send it to your door. Hand gun or rifle or shotgun or bilt action. They all have to go through an FFL here in the state.

But in order to cross state lines it has to go to an FFL in Washington. An FFL in another state can not send it to your door. Hand gun or rifle or shotgun or bilt action. They all have to go through an FFL here in the state.
You are allowed to buy rifles over state lines through an FFL in the other state without having to have it sent to another FFL. That's only required for handguns

Yes that's what I remember and I have it somewhere but many people say 1639 changed that. That's what I'm trying to verify with facts not hear say

You are allowed to buy rifles over state lines through an FFL in the other state without having to have it sent to another FFL. That's only required for handguns

Not true. I have bought many rifles from out of state and ALL of them HAD to go through an FFL here in Washington. No exceptions.

not true. A FFL has been able to sell and transfer a long arm which includes semi rifles for decades and that has not changed. A RCW which is law in WA very clearly allows the transfer at the dealers place of business. The federal background check applies and I would guess what ever OR requires for a FFL in OR. Some dealers won't make the transfer and shame on them. Find one that will.

not true. A FFL has been able to sell and transfer a long arm which includes semi rifles for decades and that has not changed. A RCW which is law in WA very clearly allows the transfer at the dealers place of business. The federal background check applies and I would guess what ever OR requires for a FFL in OR. Some dealers won't make the transfer and shame on them. Find one that will.

I have bought several rifles from out of state and none of them legally was shipped to my door. ALL of them had to be transfered through an FFL here in Washingtonm.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top