JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A 46-year-old Hermiston man was hospitalized Monday for an accidental, self-inflicted gunshot wound. "We're confident that this was an accidental discharge of a weapon he had in his pocket," No charges have been filed.

And later that week in a residential cul-de-sac: An intoxicated man made threats against the couple, and a 31-year-old Hermiston man fired a warning shot from a small caliber handgun. The intoxicated man kept moving forward and threatening the couple, and the man fired multiple shots, one of which struck the intoxicated man in the torso. No charges have been filed against the shooter.

http://www.hermistonherald.com/eo/local-news/20160418/no-charges-in-hermiston-shooting

If only one shot hit the bad guy, where did all the rest of those bullets end up?:eek:

Things are different in the wild, wild East.

A 46-year-old Hermiston man was hospitalized Monday for an accidental, self-inflicted gunshot wound. "We're confident that this was an accidental discharge of a weapon he had in his pocket," No charges have been filed.

And later that week in a residential cul-de-sac: An intoxicated man made threats against the couple, and a 31-year-old Hermiston man fired a warning shot from a small caliber

If only one shot hit the bad guy, where did all the rest of those bullets end up?:eek:

Things are different in the wild, wild East.

I think it's called prosecutors discretion. The first guy punished himself in the form of a freaking hole in himself, and the second person successfully used a gun to protect himself. Although he may not have acted wisely firing a WS, he was the victim.

Are you really saying these people should be locked up?

I think it's called prosecutors discretion. The first guy punished himself in the form of a freaking hole in himself, and the second person successfully used a gun to protect himself. Although he may not have acted wisely firing a WS, he was the victim.

Are you really saying these people should be locked up?
I think he's saying you're responsible for rounds you fire. So more range time is necessary for that dude.
I agree. I believe it is the individual's responsibility to train. The state has no business mandating it. I routinely see people using their carry gun at the range and what I see is terrifying.
If you can't hit a person at 25m you may need to rethink the decision to carry until you can.
I use 25m as that is the max distance for Army qualification on the m9. It is easily passed by brand new shooters. I've witnessed it repeatedly.
I train from 1m-beyond 25m.

I think he's saying you're responsible for rounds you fire. So more range time is necessary for that dude.
I agree. I believe it is the individual's responsibility to train. The state has no business mandating it. I routinely see people using their carry gun at the range and what I see is terrifying.
If you can't hit a person at 25m you may need to rethink the decision to carry until you can.
I use 25m as that is the max distance for Army qualification on the m9. It is easily passed by brand new shooters. I've witnessed it repeatedly.
I train from 1m-beyond 25m.

Hmm, I thought he was saying in backwater rural America, people don't get prosecuted for discharging firearms in city limits or negligence, and in proper civilization like PDX, they would have.

As far as being responsible for your fired bullets, I agree completely. I'm not sure how these example correlated to that though. One guy took responsibility in the form of a hospital stay and in the other one, the only person hurt was the bad guy.

You are responsible for every fired round, no doubt about that. Never fire a warning shot, it can be argued you were not in true danger and thusly not justified in using deadly force. Make sure after it's over that you just missed the first round, then the bad guy took off.

In a non-SD situation, discharging your weapon within city limits is illegal even in backwater Hermiston. But, I read the account and the prosecutors decided it was self-defense. Nowhere in the article did it say where the other rounds impacted. So are we assuming that they didn't land somewhere relatively safe, maybe grass, street surface, etc? Say he was in his house and the rounds went thru the wall and impacted the wall of the house next door, maybe even going thru a window, but not hitting anyone. Should he be charged then?

In my experience, people are not charged when they are acting out of fear for their lives (except for big city a**hole prosecutors). Which is sometimes not too rational. Only training overcomes panic. Are we then to demand that all gunowners be required by the state to have SD training? Maybe just out here where rednecks roam wild.

You are responsible for every fired round, no doubt about that. Never fire a warning shot, it can be argued you were not in true danger and thusly not justified in using deadly force. Make sure after it's over that you just missed the first round, then the bad guy took off.

I don't believe in warning shots. But I am fairly forgiving of what people do when panicked. However, if a bystander gets hurt the shooter needs to be held responsible. And although just the display of a weapon is typically enough to ward BGs off, I won't draw my weapon unless I intend to use it. They might or might not get a verbal warning depending on the situation.

It certainly is a different state when you get away from places like PDX and Eugene. Really ticks me off that those locations, and a few others, make all the damn decisions for this state. I really am getting tired of being 100% completely ignored, stepped on, pi$$ed on and sh!t on by legislators and voters that want to change this state into something else. I wish the rat ba$tards would find another damn place to live.

If I could do what I do and get paid what I get paid and live 100+ miles from PDX, I'd probably up and move in a heartbeat.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just really tired of the direction this state and this country are headed. And I'm getting really worried that both the state and federal elections are going to leave us further in the toilet than we are now.

:s0137:

@etrain16 Good rant! I love it!!

Years ago I could have increased my income by 50% by moving to PDX. Not only did I never want to do that, but the cost of living and getting away for fun and peace would have eaten up the income difference.

:s0146:

A warning shot? the man fired multiple shots, one of which struck the intoxicated man in the torso?

WTH, Don't people aim any more?

The story above specifically stated that the first shot fired was a warning shot. It was the rest that were intentionally fired at the bad guy, only one striking him.

It certainly is a different state when you get away from places like PDX and Eugene. Really ticks me off that those locations, and a few others, make all the damn decisions for this state. I really am getting tired of being 100% completely ignored, stepped on, pi$$ed on and sh!t on by legislators and voters that want to change this state into something else. I wish the rat ba$tards would find another damn place to live.

If I could do what I do and get paid what I get paid and live 100+ miles from PDX, I'd probably up and move in a heartbeat.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just really tired of the direction this state and this country are headed. And I'm getting really worried that both the state and federal elections are going to leave us further in the toilet than we are now.

:s0137:
See, you wish they would go someplace else, well they did, they migrated from California and are taking over Oregon... Once they make Oregon as bad as Cali, then they'll be off to the next paradise to destroy...

See, you wish they would go someplace else, well they did, they migrated from California and are taking over Oregon... Once they make Oregon as bad as Cali, then they'll be off to the next paradise to destroy...

And it's already started in places like Idaho and Montana. Eventually, unless the tide turns, the whole country will end up like California, New York, Illinois, Maryland, etc. There will eventually be no where in the country to run. Seems more conservative values simply don't appeal to folks like free sh!t from the government, among other things. I thought we had more folks in this country that cared about the constitution and our rights, I fear that love of country and of freedom no longer means much to far too many folks.

It's called White Flight. They're frustrated with taxation, crime, illegals, and such things, and getting out. However, they're not smart enough to realize voting liberals into office gets you taxation and illegals whether you wanted it or not.

Seattle has tried each and every feel-good liberal approach to dealing with street crime, public drunkenness, and chronic 'homelessness', for example, for at least 30 years now. Never have they discouraged it by dealing with the criminal behavior as, well, criminal behavior. All we have seen are warning 'tickets', useless counseling without end touted as interventions, expenditure of taxpayer funds, and no results. It just gets worse and worse.

They have yet to examine why there are no manufacturing jobs in Seattle outside of the aircraft industry, or why it costs at least $30,000 a year just to live inside the city limits. Even a senior living in their fully-paid-off home has to pony up over $3000 a year for the taxes or basically sign the equity over to the government by getting what they laughingly call an 'exemption'.

Nor will they ever, ever, ever, admit that permitting widespread drug use by the population was a mistake.

It's the slow, methodical destruction of the working members of society...

I'll continue to say if you pay no personal income tax or do not pay real estate taxes, then you get no vote...

Those who pay the bills get to make the rules... Isn't that fair???

Legalize all drugs for adults! But no hand-holding... let the stupid people get weeded out of the gene pool. Death penalty for anyone caught involving children with drugs.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top