JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I started with a GP100, but it was really big in my hands, traded for a SP101. Perfect fit.

I don't think I'd consider going to Smith and Wesson. They hold their value better though. I see them used for just about what they are new. I see Rugers for easily 200-300 in depreciated value used.

S&W 686+ Deluxe with 3" barrel, under $700 shipped from www.grabagun.com

Yup, seven rounds of pure .357 Magnum pleasure
E9E664F3-DE76-40BD-B907-F49D4628573E.jpeg

If your favorite gun was a Blackhawk in 41 mag why not get that one first? I have both and where my GP-100 was my open carry woods gun I now carry my 41 Mag. The GP is the night stand gun with 38 Special jsp's in it.

If your favorite gun was a Blackhawk in 41 mag why not get that one first? I have both and where my GP-100 was my open carry woods gun I now carry my 41 Mag. The GP is the night stand gun with 38 Special jsp's in it.

Trust me, the thought has crossed my mind. Problem is, it would have to be one of the older, pre-transfer bar safety models, most of which have either been converted, or are selling for collectors prices. And before you ask, I've owned a couple of New Models over the years, they just never felt right.

That said, after re-reading my initial post, I'm rethinking my parameters. For the intended purpose, range toy, there's no reason a SA wouldn't work. And unless I go with a convertible in 9 mm or .45 ACP, I'll still need to add another cartridge to the reloading line-up, so why not go with my favorite cartridge? Later.

Dave

Ruger Service Six, Speed Six, and Security Six in .357 Magnum.
Tough six shot revolvers the size of a K-Frame but built to handle thousands of hot .357 magnum,from what I've read they were significantly stronger guns than the S&W K frame .357's at the time.

I've owned a Ruger Police Service Six 4" with fixed low profile sights blued similar in overall appearance to a S&W model 10 heavy barrel with fixed sights,had pachmyer grips.
I've also owned a Security Six with 2.75" barrel .357 and adjustable sights in stainless,serrated trigger that felt great.

I regret getting rid of both of them, some of the best .357's out there, I thought the the 2.75 was excellent for carry.
You can tell when you pick you up that they are built like a tank for their size, great triggers too.

The one I regret getting rid of the most was a Service Six 4" blued with adjustable sights,had some awesome wood grips made of some exotic wood I probably can't pronounce, it had a trigger job which easily gave it the best double action revolver trigger I ever felt. I'm not normally a fan of blued weapons, but that trigger was amazing, double taps would be easy with that one.

The one I regret getting rid of the most was a Service Six 4" blued with adjustable sights
I had one of these also - it was my first CF revolver and I remember it having a similar action and trigger pull. There are some that say the early Service/Security Sixes were superior to the current Ruger GP/SPs.
With regard to being 'significantly' stronger than the 'K' frame Smiths I think this is a misnomer based on the 'infamous' cracking of the forcing cones of some of the early 'K' frame .357s. While this is no doubt true it was not a widespread problem and was mostly isolated to what were probably Early LEO revolvers shooting the hyper velocity 'Super-Vel' ammo of the time.
The recommendation is still to not to shoot any pre lock 'K' frame consistently with high velocity.357 ammo - and never any of the old 'Super Vel' if any is stumbled on.
Reality being what it is if one wants to shoot full house .357 consistently then a gun designed to handle it should be chosen and with a barrel length long enough to complement the higher velocity round.
And While maybe designed to handle it I can't imagine shooting heavy .357s out of say a modern mod 60 or similarly sized SP.

I used to have a 4" 686+ S&W. Shoulda kept it. If I was looking for a 38/357, I would look for another one. Really liked that gun. Seven rounds of 357 is what swayed me over the GP100.
P1010003.JPG P1010002.JPG
Sold it when I bought a 10mm. If you like the 41 Mag, don't buy a 10mm thinking it's the same, or "almost the same". The only thing that is "almost the same" as the 41 Mag is the 44 Mag!

Then I found the Model 69. When loaded with 44 Specials, it's a pretty soft shooter, but still throws a big, heavy chunk of lead. When loaded with 44 Mags, it is a handful, but it's do-able. Quite possibly the last revolver I own.
dirty 44.jpg
Some will bubblegum about the lock hole, but that's the only way to get this gun. Ruger makes a neat 44 Special, but it's only a Special and it's a 3" barrel. If you want Ruger and don't feel the "need" for the 44 Mag power, then it's probably perfect.

And nothing like a little 'reality' - which will be happening soon as I get some guns & stuff loaded in the Jeep and head to a favorite shooting spot!

Lucky you! Local range is closed due to fire danger, smoke is so thick that visibility is around a quarter mile, and to top it off, my "new" pistol is stuck in a PO box until Monday! There's also rumors of a state wide ban on outdoor shooting, but our local police chief has promised to check into the details on that and stop by Monday to give me the 411. Other than that, life is good o_O.

Can't swing the cash until I sell something, but for anyone interested, there's a blued 4" Security Six for sale on ARFCOM. Looks to be in nice shape, seller just dropped his price to $450. He's in the Seattle area, but will ship at buyers cost. If you need a link, let me know.

To get back to .41 Mag, I know that both Smith and Ruger make some nice ones, my last was a nickeled 8+" 57. Had a timing issue, and since I don't hunt, really served no purpose, so I traded it in on a SA 1911A1. I wouldn't mind a Redhawk, but that's well above my budget, and I'm not sure I could get one in a barrel length I'd want anyway. Ah, so many guns, so little money! Later.

Dave

And nothing like a little 'reality' - which will be happening soon as I get some guns & stuff loaded in the Jeep and head to a favorite shooting spot!
The grandson and I are going out to our tree farm this morning. On the list of things to do is feed the deer (we bring buckets of apples from home and scatter them around), some quad riding and some tin can busting! Grandpa's Ruger Standard and Mom's Henry will keep both of us busy, him shooting and me loading. The 44 will get to stretch it's legs a bit, too.

Thanks, guys, I think y'all pegged it with the GP 100. Made the mistake of leaving my guns with "friends" while on West Pac, came home to find they'd moved and left no forwarding address. :rolleyes:. Later.
Dave

"West Pac", gotta be a Jarhead or Heaven forbid a grey taxi driver...???:eek::p:D

The older S&W's are great, I've never been thrilled about the craftsmanship of a Taurus, but looking at the post's, the Ruger is the winner - Hands Down...!!! :):D:eek:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top