JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So now that I'm thinking SA, I'm also thinking of a convertible. Always ignored them in the past, because I thought that any revolver that shot a semi-auto had to use some kind of moon clip, and moon clip+SA=non-starter in my book. Did some research, and it turns out that's not the case with SA's, just swap out cylinders and you're good to go. So now I'm thinking something in a .45 Colt/.45 ACP. Since I'm already set up to load the latter, I'd already be good to go for feeding it, and when I'm ready to play with a new cartridge, the .45 Colt has always intrigued. And as an added bonus, a new Blackhawk is well under my budget cap, allowing me to spend the extra on a set of reloading dies and a holster, and even less if I could find a nice used one. Win, win in my book :cool:. Of course, I could do the same with a .357/9 mm, but somehow I just don't find that as appealing as the bigger calibers. So would someone PLEASE buy the stuff I have for sale in the Classifieds ;)? Later.

Dave

Get a Colt Python. People ask a lot for them in the ads, but you can usually talk them down to $500.
Maybe in the early 1990's!o_O You can't touch a decent Python for less than two grand today. Unless you have no conscience, dealing with a grieving widow or something. For the OP's purposes, a stainless GP-100 in 4" or 6" barrel would be the ticket. (Mine is a 6". :D)

A convertible is a great idea if you have ammo to burn in 9mm or 45ACP. I once had a 22 LR/22 Mag Ruger that was pretty cool.
If you want a 357 Mag, then you have three cartridges you can shoot out of one revolver.
I love the Ruger singe action revolvers, in fact I love all single action revolvers, but I have to work pretty hard to shoot well with them.

So even though I got started with a single action .41 Mag several decades ago, after getting back into handguns in the last couple of years, I've been all in with pistols. But I'm thinking I really should add a revolver to the arsenal. No particular attachment to any caliber, and primary use would be another range toy plus HD service, little if any carry, other than a holster for range use. So with the following parameters, what would you get?

Budget under $750
4-6" barrel
DA/SA
Adjustable sights
Blued preferred, not a fan of silver guns
Common caliber, with a heavy lean towards .38/.357

Obviously, durable and reliable are important. Not looking for a collectible or a show piece, just a solid duty or service grade piece. Looking forward to your suggestions, thanks.

Dave
Didn't read through the thread, but looking at his opening statement, seems to me he'd be quite happy with a nice .22.
They make some accurate guns in that caliber. They're a joy to shoot and I believe the "ammo shortage" is over, making inexpensive shooting once again a viable notion.
Good ol' Smith K-22 might be right up his alley, although in this day and age, may come off as a bit showpiece-ee….the ol' Kit Gun (model 34) would work, too.
H&R 999 was always a well built, accurate and affordable handgun, as was the Taurus 94.
With the exception of the K-22 (now called Model 17 Masterpiece), none of these guns are made anymore, so all would "used" items and thus, finding an example within your $750 budget should be a reality.
I would've suggested the .22 version of the Ruger GP100, but it appears its only available in stainless and he's not a fan of silver guns...too bad. 5.5" barrel, adjustable sights, 10 shot capacity, those classic ruber/wood grips. Sounds like a nice shootin' piece.
Dave can always move up to a more powerful caliber later on (and I would suggest either .38 or .44 special, in that case), if feels the need for...more, but .22 is a good starting point that he can enjoy for the rest of his life, if he chooses.

Dean

Last Edited:
Bow your heads!!! o_O

AD49AACF-65EF-4BB3-BBCF-D95F9DFE3402.jpeg
B0FF4DF7-2212-4968-8D55-DCC0A0DF589A.jpeg

LOL.... :D

I like mine with 6 inch barrel and Pau Ferro grips better, but it's still a GP-100. I don't think you will do much better. The member who sold it to me said it will ring steel at 100 yards. I can say it will definitely do that and I have verified it. It is so easy a Wombat can do it. I have not got a handle on the accuracy as much yet, but the .454 Super Redhawk is growing on me too.

No flame.

Everybody has their own choices, preferences, preconceived ideas, prejudices, etc. Including me.

I've owned, or own all of the major makes. My Smith's stay in the safe, while my Rugers get shot regularly. But not just any Ruger. I don't have any affinity for the GP100's, and I have only slightly more for the SP101. But my true infatuation, is with the Security/Speed Six series of revolvers.

They are still around, and often I find really good deals.

+1 on the Sixes. Underappreciated masterpieces.

I have to say the Model 29 for $750.00 is a very good price but the Python appears to be a real steal! FastEddie was talking $500. for a Python and they haven't been that cheap in 30 years.

I have to say the Model 29 for $750.00 is a very good price but the Python appears to be a real steal! FastEddie was talking $500. for a Python and they haven't been that cheap in 30 years.
He kept hounding me for the M1 that I told him I wasn't going to part with, then he offered the Python as a trade.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top