JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So even though I got started with a single action .41 Mag several decades ago, after getting back into handguns in the last couple of years, I've been all in with pistols. But I'm thinking I really should add a revolver to the arsenal. No particular attachment to any caliber, and primary use would be another range toy plus HD service, little if any carry, other than a holster for range use. So with the following parameters, what would you get?

Budget under $750
4-6" barrel
DA/SA
Adjustable sights
Blued preferred, not a fan of silver guns
Common caliber, with a heavy lean towards .38/.357

Obviously, durable and reliable are important. Not looking for a collectible or a show piece, just a solid duty or service grade piece. Looking forward to your suggestions, thanks.

Dave

My opinion is the Ruger SP101, great bang for the buck...

I've had Ruger Pistols since they first came out and have never been disappointed in quality and or realiability...
Ruger SP101.jpg

I would also recommend the Ruger GP100. That is the gun my wife decided to get and we both shoot it. It is nice to shoot with 38, and then it is like a different gun when shooting 357. If you reload, you can load up mouse rounds (on the light side with the powder) and it has hardly any kick, great for new shooters. We have shot several thousand rounds through my wife's and it feels just as solid as when we first shot it. Ours is a 4" SS model, but blued would work just as well ;)

If you like Rugers GP100. Or shop around and find an old Security Six.
I seem to gravitate toward older iron, I think the fit and finish is superior to new.
Current personal favorite is a 60's 4" pinned and recessed Model 19 S&W.

Ruger's are for wannabees, get a Smith & Wesson 686 or 66!
The GP 100 is a GREAT gun - I owned one and would still have it if one of MY favorite guns hadn't basically fallen in my lap for a great deal - a 4" 'K' frame Smith and in this deal it was a Mod 66-0.
The 'K' frame Smiths are a little trimmer, not as thick and, well are essentially the 'perfect' .357 - To A Smith fan!
The GP 100 can be equated to an 'L' or 'N' frame Smith with regard to size.
Ruger triggers take some work to get close to what MOST pre-lock Smiths came from the factory with. When a Smith trigger gets properly tuned they are legendary. These two have had new springs, polish work and are amazing. No creep or takeup and both just under two lbs.
Rugers and Smiths share the same lifeboat but the Ruger is paddling and the Smith is navigating!
One upside of the GPs is they can be had for excellent prices. I have seen a few 4" lately sell for $475.00.
IMG_0270_3.jpg

Last Edited:
Thanks, guys, I think y'all pegged it with the GP 100. I was a Ruger fan back in the day, owned a bunch of different models over the years, but my all time fave was my first, and first handgun, an Old Model Blackhawk in .41 Mag. Made the mistake of leaving my guns with "friends" while on West Pac, came home to find they'd moved and left no forwarding address. That was in the 70's, so no easy way to track them down. Live and learn, I guess. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, guess it's time to go shopping, if I can ever move the stuff I currently have for sale/trade :rolleyes:. Later.

Dave

Surprised nobody suggested Taurus.

Already have a Taurus, a PT 92, that I like a lot. But I've never cared for their revolvers, just something off putting about them for me. Truth be told, I feel the same way about S&W, the last one I had developed a timing problem, only revolver I ever had that that happened with. Kind of soured me on the brand, especially as it was a gun that hadn't seen that much use. Later.

Dave

Ruger's are for wannabees, get a Smith & Wesson 686 or 66!;)

FLAME ON!:D

No flame.

Everybody has their own choices, preferences, preconceived ideas, prejudices, etc. Including me.

I've owned, or own all of the major makes. My Smith's stay in the safe, while my Rugers get shot regularly. But not just any Ruger. I don't have any affinity for the GP100's, and I have only slightly more for the SP101. But my true infatuation, is with the Security/Speed Six series of revolvers.

They are still around, and often I find really good deals.

You can't go wrong with an 586 SW pre-98 or so is best, solid and built well. or if you like flare you can go with the 686. 357 is the way to go in revolvers. If looking newer then Ruger after 2007

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews