JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
land shark GIF by Saturday Night Live

Being situationally aware of your surroundings will do more to protect yourself than anything else. Running a wooded trail with head down and headphones in, what could go wrong? And never answer the door for Landsharks!

One of my best friends is in wildlife control. He has a pack of dogs, and is extremely well acquainted with black bears.

He said there are far more bears out there now than there used to be, but that you have very little to worry about. They typically don't bother people. Obviously there are rare exceptions, especially if a cub is involved.

With a bigger handgun and/or a dog, I don't think you'd have anything to worry about. Personally I think I'd get awful tired of packing a long gun on a daily walk, and I'm not sure I'd care to keep hiking where I felt I needed to carry one.

Black bears get a bum rap. Sharks want to eat you, black bears don't, most mommas want to protect, act accordingly, and worry about the higher probability of lightning instead.

Black bears get a bum rap. Sharks want to eat you, black bears don't, most mommas want to protect, act accordingly, and worry about the higher probability of lightning instead.
This is not entirely true. Black bears that attack if not a sow with cubs are likely looking to eat you. That is why playing dead with a black bear is not recommended. Fight with tooth and nail or whatever else you have at your disposal.

This is not entirely true. Black bears that attack if not a sow with cubs are likely looking to eat you. That is why playing dead with a black bear is not recommended. Fight with tooth and nail or whatever else you have at your disposal.
I definitely don't profess to be an expert, so I'll chalk it up to luck over many years of outdoor life., but I personally believe they would have to be wounded or otherwise deranged if so inclined to do harm, and although I may end up being mauled, and dead were that the case, I doubt eaten.
Showing the same due diligence, I would fear downtown Portland a hundred fold before a "normal" Oregon black bear in his home. The former why I carry, and not the latter.

I've crossed paths with several black bears out in the wild and they are just big babies, unless your trying to harm or take off with it's cub they are most likely going to run the other way. I remember one time I was surprised by one crossing a small creek, he was as surprised to see me as I was to see him, we just looked at each other, he turned and went down stream, I turned and went up stream and there was peace. I had a 4" S&W 19 in case there wasn't.

I wouldn't change any of your current habits based on that one outlier incident. I've ran into black bears more times than I can count and hunted them for many years. 99.9999% of the time, they will hightail it out of the area if they see you coming, so packing a shotgun is, in my opinion a waste of effort and brings upon you unnecessary attention.

Been walking , camping , and hunting in black bear country for over 20 years now..
Haven't had an issue with them .
As a general rule....they don't want to bother with you.
Also worth understanding here is that I won't go all "Timothy Treadwell " with 'em either....:eek: :D

Please notice , I said as a general rule...there are always exceptions ...as noted in the OP.

A shotgun with slugs ought to do the trick ...as well as a large bore revolver or pistol , loaded with some hard cast bullets or other deep penetrating bullets.
If I was concerned about what neighbors thought ....I'd go with the large bore handgun and proper bullet selection...and lots of practice.
Andy
When out in the woods, I'm more concerned with ambush predators, cougars to be exact. (the maintain lion variety, you pervs!)

My preferred PDW against critters in the PNW is a .357….

87EB16EE-BD68-49BD-80CD-6DFCF11EC7C5.jpeg 7EEB0479-24D3-4FE0-B5A6-FAB6281475A2.jpeg BD0BCA3F-B780-43D4-9766-790FC685A1A0.jpeg
A73A0784-7780-4B61-8C6F-397B401733D2.jpeg 49882FB1-BD6A-44FA-947B-F781816BF263.jpeg

If I'm concerned about the two legged predators (which I am on occasion), then I'll have this with me… (just look at that flying brass!)

074AB7F0-67D8-4DF3-BA43-B148FCAD7349.jpeg

When out in the woods, I'm more concerned with ambush predators, cougars to be exact. (the maintain lion variety, you pervs!)

My preferred PDW against critters in the PNW is a .357….

View attachment 1253068View attachment 1253069View attachment 1253071
View attachment 1253073View attachment 1253074

If I'm concerned about the two legged predators (which I am on occasion), then I'll have this with me… (just look at that flying brass!)

View attachment 1253075
Now you ruined my mental image of you. I had you pegged as much shorter and rounder. The no neck was no surprise, though

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top