JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hepatitis A outbreak declared in multiple counties

State officials said the outbreak includes 13 confirmed cases: nine in Spokane County, two in King County, one in Snohomish County and one in Pend Oreille County.

"People who are living homeless or who use drugs are at higher risk, particularly if they don't have access to sanitation, restroom facilities and handwashing stations," officials said in a news release.

Hepatitis A is a contagious liver infection that is usually transmitted through the fecal-oral route or by consumption of contaminated food or water, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

Symptoms of hepatitis A can range from a mild infection lasting a few weeks to a severe illness that can result in liver failure or death, state health officials said. Click here to read more.

Sadly maybe what we need is some good epidemics to ravage some large populations to wake up the damn voters. Nothing else seems to work. The sad part is when this stuff gets going there is always innocents who get caught up in it. If it just cleaned out the deck I would not lose any sleep over it.

I shower at least once a week so I'm not too worried.
Heck, an L.A. police officer contracted typhoid from working in that cesspool.
It is going to get interesting this summer.

We had a group of homeless attempt to set up camp under an overpass on I-5
a while back. It took the local police just 4 hours to get them on their way.
They sent them south so I assume they are in Portland by now...........:)

Found this,

Will hand sanitizer kill Hepatitis A virus?

Hepatitis A virus does not have a lipid envelope around it, and therefore it is somewhat tougher than viruses such as influenza.

It might survive the use of hand sanitizers, especially if the virus is present in large amounts, but usually it will work. Soap and water remove the dirt from your hands, which is more effective, whereas hand sanitizers are often just kill organisms without washing them off.

That's why I use gloves at work, wash my hands constantly, use hand sanitizer and cook my own food at home...

There is a vaccine to protect from A &B also. Last time I had it the stuff is quite pricey, don't know if it's come down any. I got it long ago when I was working at a place where I often had to "deal with" the dregs. I would expect the County and City workers who have to clean up after these people are given the series. At least I would hope so. It used to be a 3 shot, over 6 months, program to give you the protection. Don't know if they have come up with a better one these days. It was no big deal when I did it, like getting a few flue shots or such. Had no side effects I could feel.

There is a vaccine to protect from A &B also. Last time I had it the stuff is quite pricey, don't know if it's come down any. I got it long ago when I was working at a place where I often had to "deal with" the dregs. I would expect the County and City workers who have to clean up after these people are given the series. At least I would hope so. It used to be a 3 shot, over 6 months, program to give you the protection. Don't know if they have come up with a better one these days. It was no big deal when I did it, like getting a few flue shots or such. Had no side effects I could feel.
It still is a 3 shot regimen. 1, then 30 days later a second, then 6 months after that a third shot.

Am I the only one that finds the word "feces" particularly disturbing?

What a surprise this story is. :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads