JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dieselfuel12v; Until silencers become an uncontrolled item like car mufflers, the prices will remain high. My silencers cost me on the average about $200 plus the tax. I spent about $2000 in lathe/welder/tools. I've made a dozen so far and the price keeps dropping with each one I make. That is how I get them cheap. RAnb

Are you able to sell ones that you manufacture? I'm not familiar with the laws regarding silencer sales. Thanks

I can legally, but I will not due to liability concerns. I could make an occasional sale without the ATF objecting, but if I was to make a silencer on an ATF form 1 then immediately transfer it on a form 4 to someone else, it might appear that I was manufacturing without a license. I might sell a few of my silencers in the future, but since I would have had them registered for a few years, it would not make me appear to be a dealer.

Importers, manufacturers and dealers need to have the FFL/SOT; people like me just pay the $200 tax and register each one we make on the ATF form 1. The SOT is $500 a year, the FFL $200 for 3 years, but the licensee can make an unlimited number of silencers each year and register them on the ATF form 2 without paying the $200 tax unless they are transferred to an unlicensed person.

Ranb

The signup sheets were taken away shortly after the hearing started; I guess so they could identify the people who wanted to speak. I suppose you would sign up at anytime during the hearing if you speak to one of the aides that are present.

Ranb

The signup sheets were taken away shortly after the hearing started; I guess so they could identify the people who wanted to speak. I suppose you would sign up at anytime during the hearing if you speak to one of the aides that are present.

Ranb
Thank you. Have you found out if you will be able to attend yet?

I will probably find out at 11:30 am on Wednesday. :) I'll be keeping a change of clothes in the car just in case I can run away from work during lunch and stay away for the rest of the day

Ranb

Here is the Washington silencer crime summary I assembled. Feel free to use it at the committee hearing if asked any questions. I have the raw data if needed.

COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE FIREARM SUPPRESSOR CRIME SUMMARY

The following counties reported no arrests or incidents involving suppressors at any time.

Adams County
Asotin County
Benton County
Chelan County
Clark County
Douglas County
Ferry County
Franklin County
Grant County
Island County
Kittitas County .
Lewis County
Lincoln County
Mason County
San Juan County
Skagit County
Skamania County
Stevens County
Wahkiakum County
Walla Walla County
Whitman County

These counties reported no suppressor related crime going back 6 to 23 years.

Columbia County - No crimes associated with suppressors since 1997.
Cowlitz County - No violations of RCW 9.41.250(c) since 2004. No other information on suppressor related crime.
Pacific County - No suppressor related crime since 1992.
Pend Oreille County - Database does not detail RCW 9.41.250(c) crimes but Inspector with agency since 1987 has no recollection of any suppressor crime in the County.
Thurston County - No record of suppressor crime since 2007. Records division has no personal recollection of suppressor crime since 2000.
Yakima County - No record of suppressor crime since 2000.

These counties reported the following suppressor related crimes or incidents.

Clallam County - One suppressor seized during search. Not used in crime.
Jefferson County - One arrest involving non-functional suppressor 10-12 years ago. No record of conviction.
King County - Six incidents involving arrests and suppressors taken into evidence.
Kitsap County - All 9.41.250 a b and c crimes grouped together. A search on "silencer" revealed one case.
Spokane County - Unable to produce information relating to suppressors. One ongoing murder trial involving crude homemade suppressor.

These counties do not track crimes related to suppressors.

Pierce County - Does not track by RCW 9.41.250.
Snohomish County - Unable to search database without date/location provided.

These counties did not respond to the inquiry.

Garfield County
Grays Harbor County
Klickitat County
Okanogan County
Whatcom County

Randy

I can legally, but I will not due to liability concerns. I could make an occasional sale without the ATF objecting, but if I was to make a silencer on an ATF form 1 then immediately transfer it on a form 4 to someone else, it might appear that I was manufacturing without a license. I might sell a few of my silencers in the future, but since I would have had them registered for a few years, it would not make me appear to be a dealer.

Importers, manufacturers and dealers need to have the FFL/SOT; people like me just pay the $200 tax and register each one we make on the ATF form 1. The SOT is $500 a year, the FFL $200 for 3 years, but the licensee can make an unlimited number of silencers each year and register them on the ATF form 2 without paying the $200 tax unless they are transferred to an unlicensed person.

Ranb

If I recall correctly FFL/SOT avoids the $200 tax but pay a $15 making tax per item. So - if you have a decent lathe, welder, other tools needed to build your own cans and are thinking of getting an FFL (manufacturing license) and paying the SOT to avoid the $200 tax per item you should plan on making more than 5 cans per year that you pay the SOT to make it worth your while. Remember that you will also need a business license and depending on where you live you may need to be in an "industrial" zone for manufacturing license to be approved. You need to have your FFL as a sole proprietorship or owned by a trust if you are in a non NFA friendly state and intend on keeping the NFA items you build. As I recall when you close down your FFL you can book out the items to the trust or sole owner without paying the transfer fees. I could be out dated on this info as its been a few years since I had my FFL.

It seemed good. No one was in opposition.
Roach asked some questions, hopefully she is changing her mind.
Mike Carrell seemed in favor.

On the House side it has been placed on the suspension calendar and should move right thruogh.
Just waiting to see the executive action taken by the Senate.
If this goes to a vote, PLEASE contact your Senators and ask them to support this.

Today was a good step forward.

It did go well. We (the 5 of us) were a little shock when Sen Roach asked in the hall to see how one attached. Maybe someone can call her office and set something up?

I plan on having a silencer shoot at the Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club when the new law goes into effect 90 days after the session ends. I will invite any Representative or Senator who wants to shoot or just watch.

Ranb

By "friends" I am going to assume yo don't have a Crybaby Crosby Jersey on. Always good to know there are wing fans around. Every once in a while people get excited and say I get it! refering to my Lic. plate. "CUATJLA"

Back on subject, I really have been following this for a few years. Basically since I moved here 5 years ago. I have written a few letters. And I'm going to write another and send out a small mass mailing. The change just makes sense. I joined the NRA ILA on facebook and I love the updates and following whats going on all over the U.S. Even with shootings and bad media... progress is getting done to the better!

Assuming there are no amendments made to the bills, the House Rules committee will send bill 1016 to the floor for a vote and the Senate Judiciary committee will have an executive hearing on bill 5112 and hopefully send it to their Rules committee. Ideally both the House and Senate will pass the bills where it will go to the Governor's desk for her signature. I think the House Rules committee is going to send it for a vote, the Senate Rules committee could use some letters as could the Governor.

Ranb

Assuming there are no amendments made to the bills, the House Rules committee will send bill 1016 to the floor for a vote and the Senate Judiciary committee will have an executive hearing on bill 5112 and hopefully send it to their Rules committee. Ideally both the House and Senate will pass the bills where it will go to the Governor's desk for her signature. I think the House Rules committee is going to send it for a vote, the Senate Rules committee could use some letters as could the Governor.

Ranb

FYI: the Governor does NOT have to sign it for it to become law:
Governor's actions: The Governor reviews the bill. The Governor may decide to sign it, veto part of it, or veto all of it. If the Governor vetoes part or all of it, the Legislature may vote to override the veto. (That happens rarely.) If the governor does not act on a bill after the allotted number of days, it is as if it was signed. From the Governor's desk, bills go to the Secretary of State who assigns a session law chapter number. The Chapter to Bill Table (available on the Bill/Law Cross Reference page) lists the bills that have passed the Legislature, the chapter numbers assigned by the Secretary of State, vetoes, short descriptions, and the effective dates.
http://www.leg.wa.gov/legislature/Pages/Overview.aspx

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads