JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My friend would like to buy my rifle silencer. We understand the process and wait time which is more or less the same if he buys new or from me. Basically either way he waits the same and has a $200 stamp.

Question is pricing and value. New this can would cost him $710 plus a $200 stamp. I was thinking $500 with my extra muzzle devices plus his $200 stamp. Or am I really high? At the end of the day it depends what he's willing to pay.

Look around your area for an FFL that will perform NFA private transfers. They usually charge more for this sort of thing from what I recall. Might want to add that to the sale price.

Not an expert but since a suppressor is considered a "firearm", the state of Oregon would then make you have to perform the transaction through an FFL I believe. So you would have to transfer the suppressor to the dealer at the cost of a $200 tax via form 4 and then once cleared the dealer would submit a form 4 to transfer it to the new owner at the cost of a $200 tax plus whatever the dealer charges for their service.

Not an expert but since a suppressor is considered a "firearm", the state of Oregon would then make you have to perform the transaction through an FFL I believe. So you would have to transfer the suppressor to the dealer at the cost of a $200 tax via form 4 and then once cleared the dealer would submit a form 4 to transfer it to the new owner at the cost of a $200 tax plus whatever the dealer charges for their service.
Oh I get it. No I don't have to do a $200 stamp and wait to transfer it to a "shop" then they transfer it to the buyer. The buyer and I do a form 4 directly between us and I believe to satisfy the state requirements we would take the approved form 4 to an FFL and do a private sale BG check as if transferring a rifle. I have a message out to my FFL. But last time I remember talking to them about this that was all that's needed.

Oh I get it. No I don't have to do a $200 stamp and wait to transfer it to a "shop" then they transfer it to the buyer. The buyer and I do a form 4 directly between us and I believe to satisfy the state requirements we would take the approved form 4 to an FFL and do a private sale BG check as if transferring a rifle. I have a message out to my FFL. But last time I remember talking to them about this that was all that's needed.
I wasn't aware that any FFL can transfer NFA. I thought they needed the extra licensing that sort of thing? Or is that licensing just for the holding and sale of NFA items?

What you say makes total sense, as being friends, there should be enough trust not to need the third party. No holding FFL required as you are already deemed legal as the original owner and can still keep possession of the application gets denied.

I was only thinking that there might be extra cost accrued due to the NFA nature and needing to transfer through an FFL with that licensing. If that's not required than I learned something new.

Thanks!

Reno

I wasn't aware that any FFL can transfer NFA. I thought they needed the extra licensing that sort of thing? Or is that licensing just for the holding and sale of NFA items?
They can't. Typically a person to person suppressor transfer can be done without an SOT. The owner and buyer submit a form 4 directly to the ATF with the tax payment. Owner holds the suppressor until the form 4 comes back. At that point if the state requires it, a BGC is done at any FFL before it's handed to the new owner. It's just a "firearm" to the FFL.

What you say makes total sense, as being friends, there should be enough trust not to need the third party. No holding FFL required as you are already deemed legal as the original owner and can still keep possession of the application gets denied.

I was only thinking that there might be extra cost accrued due to the NFA nature and needing to transfer through an FFL with that licensing. If that's not required than I learned something new.

Thanks!

Reno
The FFL wouldn't be "transferring" the suppressor. You (or I in this case) have already done that via the federal government which trumps state government. The FFL is merely performing a background check. Which is redundant because the buyer just passed the FBI check to get an NFA Item.

Here's the response from my local silencer dealer.

"To sell a silencer to your friend, you would complete the Form 4 through eForms with you as the transferor and your friend as the transferee. If he needs them, I can do digital fingerprints and provide him with that file for you to upload into eForms. There is nothing you would need to do through an FFL for submitting the eForm. Once it's approved, you can just hand it over to him"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top